Look at the comments on the Haphead video!

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
EPR89

Look at the comments on the Haphead video!

Post by EPR89 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:51 am

The way they take David's comments out of context and spew hate is just amazing. Too bad it seem that these idiots seem to be the clear majority. They prove him right with everything he has said and they don't even notice it.

Scary stuff, especially when considering that this video isn't even about a Wolfire project.

EDIT: The comments have now thankfully been disabled. Pretty much none of them were related to the video and there was a whole lot of throwing insults at the developers for not outright praising Gamer Gate.
They have now released an official statement in collaboration with TotalBiscuit

It's really too bad that the effect this whole stuff had on the video will not be able to be reverted. The dislike bar is huge, and the reason for that has nothing to do with Haphead or the people behind Haphead, but only with people who hopefully do not represent Gamer Gate lashing out against Wolfire for no good reason whatsoever.
Last edited by EPR89 on Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Surak

Re: Look at the comments on the Haphead video!

Post by Surak » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:08 am

The comments are pretty sad, yea. And I do not mean that they are negative, but that they are mostly made by people that have no idea what they are writing. On the other hand it was pretty clear that you attract a lot of idiots if you write about your gg opinion on Twitter with such a big base of followers. Twitter is really not made for this, since you see way too much short tweets completly out of context. It doesn't help if your conversation partner deletes his tweets (AB *cough*).

DaveEscape

Post by DaveEscape » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:26 pm

What happened?
I just barely stumbled upon this.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:39 pm

DaveEscape wrote:What happened?
I just barely stumbled upon this.
What happened on this site is new to me too, but I saw some of the buildup.

David spoke against gamergate on twitter.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Wolfire/stat ... 8409910272

Also directly with Total Biscuit, which explains the joined message.
https://mobile.twitter.com/Wolfire/stat ... 6784534528

He was quite vocal about it. :) I mostly agree with him.

Seems like some angry people decided to target something (anything?) associated with him.

Which is ironic, considering he's been for better journalism this whole time, but people got angry because he said gamergate harasses.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Wolfire/stat ... 4815208448

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:24 pm

That last quote is just perfect.
he makes a very valid point and immediately someone pounces on it and calls him a hypocrite.

Those guys are like a hivemind that is allergic to any sort of criticism. And I have see no attempt to get rid of those members who do abuse the name. The still seem to be a very vocal and influential part of the whole thing and what has happened over the last few days shows this crystal clear.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:46 pm

Sorry for involving you guys in this mess.

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:26 pm

David wrote:Sorry for involving you guys in this mess.
You don't have to apologise. We involved ourselves quite happily.

I think I can speak for a good number of the people here when I say that we are proud to be a part of this community and stand behind you, even if we may not fully agree with everything you have said.
The important part is that you only voiced your opinion, based on what you knew about the subject. I could not see any of the personal attacks or sweeping generalisations some people accuse you off in the conversations I have read so far. There is nothing to you would have to apologise for.
Some of the comparisons you made were a but drastic, but I think that would not have been a problem, if the people you have been talking to had been interested in a discussion. Instead they were looking for a trigger.

akazi

Post by akazi » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:53 pm

It is very sad this video got bombed just because of what happened on Twitter. For shame. :cry:

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:58 am

David wrote:Sorry for involving you guys in this mess.
I agree with EPR, you didn't do anything wrong. The mess is about games, so many of us were somewhat involved already. If I had Twitter I'd have said many of the same things.

DaveEscape

Post by DaveEscape » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:52 pm

Fuck what those other people think, Overgrowth is awesome. :)

Phoenixwarrior141
Location: I've lost all sense of direction, I'm quite concerned to be honest.

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:49 pm

EPR89 wrote: It's really too bad that the effect this whole stuff had on the video will not be able to be reverted. The dislike bar is huge, and the reason for that has nothing to do with Haphead or the people behind Haphead, but only with people who hopefully do not represent Gamer Gate lashing out against Wolfire for no good reason whatsoever.
Wrong. It's people lashing out at Wolfire for releasing a $30 product on steam, updating it rarely and never giving updates no matter how minor. Resulting people bitching in the comment section with MINIMAL talk of Gamer Gate.

You can't argue against Gamer Gate yet blatantly ignore the fact that the only video in the past few months was for a Kickstarter to grub a little more cash money from people.

You can't blame them for being a tad pissed that after all that time they want more money.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:54 pm

We don't make any money from Haphead.

Phoenixwarrior141

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:09 pm

Again, they don't know that. Seeing the same people who have raised a lot of money and still don;t have a lot of game to show for it doesn't bode confidence from a Kickstarter, coming from The Stomping Lands and Earth: 2055 (Or something of that nature) which was pulled from Steam, and Spacebase DF-9 being pushed to release because the devs couldn't quadruple dip their cash supply.

They have every RIGHT to be nervous at such a project.

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:43 pm

Do they have every right to take what he said out of context because of this and spread misinformation and lies about stuff that has nothing to do with the video?
Because that's what happened there.

Also, because I find that very telling about the people who did complain and cry the loudest, this is in the description of the video:
Wolfire is not creating this series, but we support them and think it's cool that they are using our game. Stay tuned for a new alpha update this week.

Not being able to read stuff seems to be a pretty common problem for these people.

Phoenixwarrior141

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:50 pm

That still allows for plenty of "They're lying" thoughts in people.

After all, if they supposedly WANTED more money, they wouldn't tell us that, they'd disguise that. They still have plenty of room to be nervous and had this been any other dev, you would too.