Overgrowth Weekly

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Thomason1005

Re: OGW Q&A with David Rosen

Post by Thomason1005 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:04 am

akazi on the team yaaaaay he deserves it

i like the idea of having all the ue tools and technology but i think its kindof sad that david gives up his engine, with all the features like real time graphics adjustments. its like a legacy goes down with it.
after watching the video i feel like it isnt that big of a change though and that the major features all might come back

still im kindof scared of wolfire buying the stuff together and the style getting lost making the game look like any other ue game

but im sure theyre able to pull this off, ill give em my full support on this

still i have the question how good the mod support will be. will david push out all the code or will there be some kind of editor buildt for the modders?

anyway cant wait for the first ue buildt. im so stoked on this.

also being on ue will open up the mods a lot i mean you can pull things over from other (modded) ue games
just my 2 cents

and yes multiplayer is a possible thing then, might depend on how open david will develop though

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:55 pm

so what happened with the under glass jam for leelah thing?
will ther be stuff released? i really liked the mood of it

alden103

Post by alden103 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:32 pm

Open World, And Fighting Friends
I'd like to know if there are any plans for an open-world type map which allows the player to visit all the locations possible, as well as to find as much lore as possible. In addition, could there be a way to allow Coop or multiplayer so that we can have the massive bunny battles?

gmanforthefreeman

Post by gmanforthefreeman » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:40 pm

hay guys i have question iv wanted to ask you for years. one of the things i love the most about overgrowth is its big open free form level but iv always been curious about all the giants stone shapes(prism,that are usually square or hexagon on the top) in them. are they just place holders or are they relics of a for gotten civilization. and yes i think they are cool. :D

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:24 am

gmanforthefreeman wrote:hay guys i have question iv wanted to ask you for years. one of the things i love the most about overgrowth is its big open free form level but iv always been curious about all the giants stone shapes(prism,that are usually square or hexagon on the top) in them. are they just place holders or are they relics of a for gotten civilization. and yes i think they are cool. :D
You mean the cretes?
They are based on the natural basalt formations that form places like the Giant's Causeway or Staffa Island.

Here's a video of someone checking out Staffa with a kayak.

Here's Aubrey talking about the ones in the game.

They are supposed to contain raw iron that the dogs harvest for weapon production.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:26 pm

Latest episode, combat conversation mostly, almost all sound issues are solved now! :D :

BeckettGaming

Post by BeckettGaming » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:39 pm

Where did you learn to code or how? I'm sturgling with it alot and i want to get in it for game making but i would love some help :D

Fridge400

Post by Fridge400 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:23 am

Are you considering any more parkour elements such as vaulting over waist-height objects without losing momentum, or cats/dogs staggering for a second after landing a very distant jump?

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:19 pm

BeckettGaming wrote:Where did you learn to code or how? I'm sturgling with it alot and i want to get in it for game making but i would love some help :D
here are some websites you can use

codecademy: http://www.codecademy.com
udemy: http://www.udemy.com
udacity: http://www.udacity.com
codeschool: http://www.codeschool.com
lynda: http://www.lynda.com

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:53 pm

Just uploaded the latest episode, some important information on OG and Unreal Engine 4 in this one, seems like David is leaning back towards Phoenix engine again.

Thank you for the questions, keep them coming! :)

Sehiro

Post by Sehiro » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:22 am

There will be more animation for counters?
It is the same counter to every attack and for some it doesn't look right. Especially if both the attacker and the defender use weapons.
...Weapon counters'd be cool, parries, ripostes...
Some examples:

Last edited by Sehiro on Thu May 07, 2015 3:07 am, edited 5 times in total.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:33 am

Sehiro wrote:There will be more animation for counters?
It is the same counter to every attack and for some it doesn't look right. Especially if both the attacker and the defender use weapons.
...Weapon counters'd be cool, parries, ripostes...
Some examples:

Yes, this! :mrgreen:

Sehiro

Post by Sehiro » Wed May 06, 2015 10:56 am

Three months have passed since the last alpha, could you please give us an overview of what to expect for the next one?

Also, one thing about the loading screen: would you be willing to follow the example of Bloodborne and put lore facts along with your logo?

P.s. Sorry to monopolize this thread, but hey, nobody's asking and I have questions.
This one is about the determination of the game between two different attacks.

In the case the player is approaching an enemy at full speed, but releases the "W" key and only then presses the left mouse button, how does the game decide which attack will be performed between a straight punch and a roundhouse kick? As far as I've tested the game goes for the roundhouse most of the times.
Shall I infer that the decision is not based on the player input, but on the movement of the character (in this case inertial movement)?
Wouldn't it be better to make it so the player can decide by the input which between those two attacks to perform?
It might be just me, but I don't get the feeling of being in control in this case. Turner will go for a roundhouse even if he's very close to the enemy, resulting in a reversal, instead of a quick stunning jab, which is what I was going for.

(...or the game already does this and I am not able to click buttons)

Silverfish

Re: OGW Q&A with David Rosen & Aubrey Serr

Post by Silverfish » Sun May 10, 2015 2:47 pm

The computer that I use to remotely stream has not come online yet since the stream, and I don't really feel like biking to it and back just to upload the video this late. This means video will go up sometime tomorrow. :)

Sehiro

Re: OGW Q&A with David Rosen & Aubrey Serr

Post by Sehiro » Mon May 11, 2015 1:25 am

It's perfectly fine, thanks for doing all of this :)