Overgrowth Weekly

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
vSTekk

Re: OGW Q&A with the developers

Post by vSTekk » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:15 am

Update in two or three weeks? How much it is in real world time? Based on my previous experience with Wolfire, my guess would be something around 9 months.

Don't get me wrong. I am happy that something is happening. I already had some fun with the game (not sure if worth the money), but the pace of progress and your communication with customers is really bad. I am not a programmer, nor a game designer, but i support quiet a bunch of devs and early-acces games. From single person to quiet huge dev teams and I can say, that Wolfire has to do much more.
Starting with communication - Last OG *weekly* has been two months ago. Last update to the game is seven months ago, and FAQ on the website still claims *playable weekly updates*. Any other business than game development would not get away with that.

Cmon, now delete my comment, as you allegedly do. I was a fool to recommend this game to my friends.

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:06 am

vSTekk wrote:Cmon, now delete my comment, as you allegedly do.
Where the hell is that coming from?

Also, they explained to us why there was a gap in the Q&A sessions.

Are you from the Steam forums? The guys over there seem to ave a thing for not actually keeping up with what the team publishes and making up stuff in order to create trouble.

Dammasta
Location: Somewhere under the rainbow, face down in the dirt.

Post by Dammasta » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:07 am

vSTekk wrote:Update in two or three weeks? How much it is in real world time? Based on my previous experience with Wolfire, my guess would be something around 9 months.

Don't get me wrong. I am happy that something is happening. I already had some fun with the game (not sure if worth the money), but the pace of progress and your communication with customers is really bad. I am not a programmer, nor a game designer, but i support quiet a bunch of devs and early-acces games. From single person to quiet huge dev teams and I can say, that Wolfire has to do much more.
Starting with communication - Last OG *weekly* has been two months ago. Last update to the game is seven months ago, and FAQ on the website still claims *playable weekly updates*. Any other business than game development would not get away with that.

Cmon, now delete my comment, as you allegedly do. I was a fool to recommend this game to my friends.
Boy, this post is a roller-coaster of emotions.

deldero

Post by deldero » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:49 pm

hey vSTekk, they launched the latest OG weekly a few days ago, i even made a post 20 days before it came out,viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38088, its up on youtube now, so you can hear what they have been doing all this time.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:39 am

vSTekk wrote:Update in two or three weeks? How much it is in real world time? Based on my previous experience with Wolfire, my guess would be something around 9 months.

This is a copy/paste of my response in the other places where you wrote this comment as well:

It's hard to say how long it will actually be until the next update. It might be three weeks, might be two months. Things are undergoing major restructuring with many more people contributing and so on, so it's even harder for David to say now than it's been in the past!

I feel like you're missing some of the points that we have brought up in this video. I'm thinking about the fact that Wolfire have been hiring a LOT of new people to work on the game in the past months. This of course takes a lot of time from actual development as a lot of things need to be restructured to handle up to 20 people instead of only 2, more administration due to more people who are all just getting started at the same time and so on.

But after a while this will pay off in the shape of much faster development. So what I'm saying is that we are trying our hardest to address the concerns you have about the speed of development in the most direct way possible.

OGWeekly is the name the show had when I (as a fan of the game) made the show a few years back. It was in fact weekly for about one and a half years, and I feel like it's a bit too late to change it now. :P So that's why the name is
the way it is, it might make more sense to rebrand the show to something a bit more official and not just a fan show, but we haven't talked about that yet.

In the last episode we said that there would likely be a hiatus over the summer as I was going to be visiting friends and family.

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:01 pm

My question for david,
What graphics will you update or what kind of graphics will you add? Like 4k textures (sounds like overkill to me but just an example :P).

Arpi

Post by Arpi » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:04 pm

What will the 2 new arenas be like,and will a bow be added in the near future?

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:20 am

When will dialogue next be worked on, whether it be improving the dialogue editor, bugs or the interface?

shyisc

Post by shyisc » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:38 am

I'm going to copy and paste what I wrote on Disqus, to increase the chances of getting a reaction:
I would like to propose the following concept for the arena game:

When the city was attacked each neighborhood put together a team of warriors to participate in the city's defense. After the war was over these teams continued to train, to remain ready for the next war. As part of their practice, these teams would hold friendly competitions with each other. This then resulted in martial arts becoming the city's favorite team sport, with a local team representing each neighborhood, and an arena was constructed to host the competitions. The arena games then attracted warriors and spectators from all over, turning the city into a great hub of entertainment and commerce. Showing off the city's military might is also a way to deter enemies from attacking.

In addition to training in their own neighborhood dojo and fighting in the arena against other local teams as well as the occasional foreign challengers, the warriors of each team also protect the city, chasing down thieves, breaking up street fights, and fighting off bandits and predators. Whenever a warrior successfully performs his duties he is then rewarded with money. Same goes for winning competitions.

In accordance with tradition, each warrior is responsible for his own equipment. He must acquire it himself. If it becomes damaged he must repair it himself. If it breaks he must replace it himself.

Each competition has its own rules regarding the number of warriors on each team and the equipment they my bring. Although one could choose not to bring the requisite equipment, no other equipment is allowed.

If you starve then you become weak, making it easier for enemies to beat you, so you must make sure to eat regularly. Overeating can also carry penalties.

You can pay to modify your appearance. You can buy a dwelling where you can store your excess belongings. You can pay to modify and upgrade your dwelling.

Each of the significant characters, such as the dojo mentors and disciples, city officials, foreign warriors, etc, will be a fleshed-out character, allowing for interesting conversations, random events, and story events.

Another thing you can do is challenge warriors to a private duel, but that is only permitted in the arena, and renting the arena to hold the duel costs money. This is something you might want to do to just fight a specific guy, or for some other reason such as getting revenge for a fellow disciple who has been bullied by someone from a rival dojo.

Obviously this means the arena level then becomes a mini open world game consisting of a single small city, which includes places such as the arena itself, a large market, inns, alehouses, eateries, other places of entertainment, city hall, warehouses, shops for craftsmen, and residential neighborhoods each with its own dojo.

You can visit your own dojo for the tutorial and training. You can visit rival dojos to give private challenges. You can visit the arena to sign up for competitions. You can patrol the city looking for trouble. You can go shopping with your winnings. You can store and retrieve your belongings in your dwelling (there's a very harsh limit on what you can carry).
Also you can add more levels for areas around the city. These levels would include secret locations to discover, interesting characters to meet, random events, and random encounters.

When you explore these areas you can choose to take allies with you in your party. Any loot you find or rewards you earn will be divided equally between members of the party, and if one dies his family will receive his share.

The lairs of the bandits and predators are also hidden in these areas, and they change location every so often, especially if they are discovered. If you manage to clear out a lair then your party will receive a big reward from the city, and that type of enemy won't attack the city for a while. Eventually, however, a new and significantly more powerful gang or pack will take the place of the one you destroyed, and the attacks on the city will resume.

It would be interesting if the player were given choices in dialogs and events, and if the NPC would also be options from which he will choose randomly, so that the player will never know how things will play out.

Sometimes while exploring outside of the city the player will come across a fight, and will have to choose whether to ally with one side against the other, attack both sides, or wait to see how things go before intervening. Sometimes it will be bandits and predators fighting each other.

wake

Post by wake » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:41 am

Will you consider re-sharing the best game development articles?

wake

Post by wake » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:47 am

Silverfish wrote:
wake wrote:will you work more on the Asset Conditioning Pipeline, to make it more of a thrill for Content Creators to get their assets included into the game?
Would you like to expand on this question?
Sure, sorry I didn't notice this earlier :)

In the book Game Engine Gems, Volume 1, the second chapter is The Game Asset Pipeline. They talk about the process of having an asset from a 3D modelling tool, or similar, and getting it into the game.

I don't really know how you guys get assets into your game, maybe you could make a tutorial about it? Like, how do you get a character into the game?

Sorry about the question being confusing, I don't really know what a pipeline is. I think it is important to get things into the game though.

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:35 am

wake wrote:
Silverfish wrote:
wake wrote:will you work more on the Asset Conditioning Pipeline, to make it more of a thrill for Content Creators to get their assets included into the game?
Would you like to expand on this question?
Sure, sorry I didn't notice this earlier :)

In the book Game Engine Gems, Volume 1, the second chapter is The Game Asset Pipeline. They talk about the process of having an asset from a 3D modelling tool, or similar, and getting it into the game.

I don't really know how you guys get assets into your game, maybe you could make a tutorial about it? Like, how do you get a character into the game?

Sorry about the question being confusing, I don't really know what a pipeline is. I think it is important to get things into the game though.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14021

kibaoo

Post by kibaoo » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:21 am

Q: What leveldesign direction will overgrowth stick with? due to it's mechanics like climbing and legcannon attack schema, "death from above", i'm questing myself that a horizontal leveldesign fits the best to overgrowth. The map is structured like a 3D cube with multiple floors on top of each other, as it is in Styx Masters of Shadows. Some community made parkour maps already feature something like this, for example the player has to reach the highest spot of the map. In opposite, i think the conventional level designs in most games are flat. So could you talk something about your design choices?
I also like some community maps, where the creator abuses the insane scalability of the objects, making them huge, that u the player feels tiny and e.g. overwhelmed by the big ass cat-puppet, which reaches up in the sky and watching you like God.
Q2: Will there be secrets in the levels of the campaign, where the player could find lore snippets, weapons or easter eggs? How much do you focus on the exploration of the environment?

Thie questions are most suited for the leveldesigner of Overgrowth, it would be a blast if u guys could get him on the line, plox! =)

shyisc

Post by shyisc » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:22 am

I just watched this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJwtylBkb-U

I would like to hear you address the observations and suggestions made. I would also like to add that broken bones can be treated with splints and casts.

If you create levels that play like open-world games, or have the player state (partially) persist across levels, then wounds could become very interesting.

Surak

Post by Surak » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:55 am

shyisc wrote:I just watched this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJwtylBkb-U

I would like to hear you address the observations and suggestions made. I would also like to add that broken bones can be treated with splints and casts.
The video was discussed ~3 weeks ago.