Lugaru 2 Editing (what should we expect)

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Chainsaw man

Lugaru 2 Editing (what should we expect)

Post by Chainsaw man » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:42 am

By now David is eather happy some one is taking a great deal of interest in his work, or getting at the end of his rope with all these questions I have for him.

How ever that has nothing to do with what I am going to ask him.
I have a great Idea (on paper) for a new fan made campain all ready using Davids new Engine, and Ill say it right now, everyones going to get some enjoyment out of them. Now David, can you awnser a few of my questions? Consider this an Online Intervew for the Wolfire forums :)

Q.1: Is the Editor Ready yet, and are you going to make the game with the editor? Or is it going to be made with Allot more advanced programs that you are familiar with?

Q.2: What is the Editor as a feel going to be like? Is the editor going to be Similar to Garry’s mod, or should we expect easy to use scripting and landscape editing interfaces?

Q.3: Will the Game support other forms of game play (such as FPS game play, 3rd person (Like Lugaru obviously), RTS/Team or faction combat simulation (like Total war, or Close Combat: A bridge too far) or other) and Will it be easy to change the way we play?

Q.4: How easy will it be to create your own models, will there be different player models for MP (E.g.: Female, Male, Wolf, Rabbit, Tiger, Other)? And will it all be able to be done in the editor? Also, How Idiot proof is it?

Q.5: Generally, will a person who has never touched an editor (I do not speak for myself, as I usually buy a game for its editor) be able to pick it up and make a Level easily? And a person of Uber Haxor editing levels is able to create a reasonably complex campaign?

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:18 am

1. It is not ready yet, and I will use it to make the main campaign and challenge levels.

2. I haven't tried Garry's mod, but mostly it will be like L1 except more powerful and easier to use.

3. It will not be possible to make a game that is in an entirely different genre using the level editor.

4. It should be pretty easy to import your own models into the editor, but it probably won't be idiot-proof.

5. It should be pretty easy for anyone to make a level of some kind, and users like Silb or Jendraz should be able to make even crazier campaigns.

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:58 pm

Q:6 So what we are going to look at is a real time editor within the game similar to a debug? Is there going to be a HUD that pops up letting you spawn things, and tools to place them where you want? or will you have to run over a place and spawn it with similar estimation work as lugaru?

Q.7: Will there be Multi player editing? We know there is suport for Multiplayer (asuming DM, PvP, & CtF), but will we be able to work as a team to creat a level similar to cube2?

Q.8: Is Tereain going to be hight maped with a JPG files again, or is there going to be an easyer way to change landscape hight built in?

Q.9: Will there be more eviernment than before (even if not used in game) ? Things like Under ground settings, or Jungels, Tar pits, and possably Sea side like Terain sets? if not, Will it be easy for some one to creat a tile set?

invertin

Post by invertin » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:17 pm

Chainsaw man wrote:Q:6 So what we are going to look at is a real time editor within the game similar to a debug? Is there going to be a HUD that pops up letting you spawn things, and tools to place them where you want? or will you have to run over a place and spawn it with similar estimation work as lugaru?
I can already answer that it will be much "better" in the sense that you don't have to guess what angle the box will be at.

Other than that I have no clue.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:01 pm

The L2 editor will be a lot more precise. Probably no multiplayer editing. There will be an easier way to change terrain in-game, and there will be more varied environments.

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:13 pm

Well, I supose that wraps up allot of Important editer Questions.

just one more question here and well be done.

Q.10: Will the Editor be a Separate program, or part of the Lugaru 2 game?

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:19 pm

I am not sure; it will be in the same engine, but it might be easier to make it a shortcut with some kind of -editor command line argument.

The Spoon

Post by The Spoon » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:43 pm

Forgive me if I'm intruding by asking a question in this topic, but with terrain, provided it isn't done with height maps, will it be possible to make caves/tunnels/burrows into the landscape?

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:55 pm

I hope so, but I haven't worked on that yet.

marmorek

Post by marmorek » Tue May 13, 2008 6:49 pm

David wrote:4. It should be pretty easy to import your own models into the editor, but it probably won't be idiot-proof.
Would SketchUp support be possible? It's one of the easier 3D programs to use.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Tue May 13, 2008 7:06 pm

See http://sketchup.google.com/support/bin/ ... swer=36203

In short, reasonable 3D model export is only possible in the Pro version of SketchUp, so you should consider learning a new suite if you haven't got the Pro version.

There is kmz export in the Free version and there are ways to convert kmz files, but considering how limited SketchUp is and how poor it is in important parts of 3D modeling (per-vertex and per-face editing, UV mapping), you really should consider going for a better, free alternative.

As always, I suggest blender, it blows SketchUp out of the water (and then some). You'd have to invest some hours into learning it, but it pays off.

marmorek

Post by marmorek » Wed May 14, 2008 1:03 am

rudel_ic wrote: As always, I suggest blender, it blows SketchUp out of the water (and then some). You'd have to invest some hours into learning it, but it pays off.
Wow, this looks amazing. Thanks for the tip.

Makrond

Post by Makrond » Wed May 14, 2008 1:44 am

Hooray another Blender convert! Now we must march upon the Wings hordes!

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Wed May 14, 2008 2:43 am

I like Blender a lot. I used it pretty extensively when I was practicing 3D modeling.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Wed May 14, 2008 2:50 am

I'm working professionally with blender at the moment; there's a done project (60x2 animations á 90 secs; hires modeling; fluids, cloth etc involved) and another one that'll start soon (no details for good reasons, sorry).
Blender can't get enough praise, although how they turned OpenSource is a fishy story (the project was bought from the original firm that had the proprietary rights to it via funds from the OpenSource community).
At the end of the day, I'm making money with it (albeit not much), and it's a blast to use it once you've got the shortkeys down.