Overgrowth on Wikipedia

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Jeff
Evil Twin

Overgrowth on Wikipedia

Post by Jeff » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:24 pm

Could someone do us a huge favor and work on the Overgrowth page on Wikipedia? We are not supposed to edit it according to wikipedia guidelines, but you guys can. :) That would be most excellent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overgrowth

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Re: Overgrowth on Wikipedia

Post by rudel_ic » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:25 am

Don't get me wrong, I like Wolfire games and all, but at this point, a Wikipedia entry for your game is complete nonsense. It's just a bunch of ideas, prototypes and artworks!

Wikipedia is an encyclopedia, not a news / games site.

Once your game is out and actually significant in some way, I'd happily write stuff about it.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:04 am

Don't they make wikipedia pages on games that are yet to be released?

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:15 am

Grayswandir wrote:Don't they make wikipedia pages on games that are yet to be released?
Yes, and even games that have never been released at all, I'm sure

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:43 pm

Some examples:
Mirror's Edge
Far Cry 2
Duke Nukem Forever

Wikipedia even has its own little icon and caption for every page about an unreleased video game:
"This article or section contains info about an unreleased video game. The content may change substantially as more information becomes available. Please do not add speculation to this article, and remember to cite a published source for details."

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:00 pm

rudel_ic wrote:Don't get me wrong, I like Wolfire games and all, but at this point, a Wikipedia entry for your game is complete nonsense. It's just a bunch of ideas, prototypes and artworks!
I'd rather have those ideas, prototypes, and artworks be on wikipedia and show up in search results rather than Wikipedia's article on small bowel overgrowth syndrome.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:47 pm

Thy point is valid.
And therefore I plead the more knowledged of us to GIT WORKING ON THAT WIKI! :lol:

noerrorsfound

Post by noerrorsfound » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:29 pm

David wrote:Some examples:
Mirror's Edge
Far Cry 2
Duke Nukem Forever

Wikipedia even has its own little icon and caption for every page about an unreleased video game:
"This article or section contains info about an unreleased video game. The content may change substantially as more information becomes available. Please do not add speculation to this article, and remember to cite a published source for details."
The difference between those games you mention and Overgrowth is those games meet Wikipedia's notability guidelines.

Sartan

Post by Sartan » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:40 pm

noerrorsfound wrote:The difference between those games you mention and Overgrowth is those games meet Wikipedia's notability guidelines.
Ah, so you don't consider Overgrowth to be interesting enough. I'm going to guess you were Googling for any mention of Wikipedia, found this, and immediately registered to come be smug. Am I close?

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:58 pm

We've been covered in hundreds of news sources around the world, including websites, magazines, and radio, so we definitely fit their notability guidelines.

noerrorsfound

Post by noerrorsfound » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:01 pm

That's good to know, but those must be added as references in the article. If you list sources here I can add them for you but they need to be about Overgrowth, not Wolfire Games or Lugaru.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:03 pm

Holey crud, you're absolutely famous! <3

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:37 pm

Glabbit wrote:Holey crud, you're absolutely famous! <3
Not quiet yet, but it's the first step =)

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:08 pm

I think it's cool if people want to help getting your game out there. I just think Wikipedia isn't the place for this. It's not an advertisement platform, yet that's basically what's it being used for in this case.
And those sources you posted brought the story because of Lugaru and David's other games, not because of Overgrowth (unless there was something shown behind the scenes or whatever). That's why there are articles about Lugaru and David Rosen.
Notability is not binary. It is sometimes debateable. In this case, I'd say the notability of Overgrowth right now, from what the public can find out about it, doesn't go beyond a very limited audience.

I'm sure you're aware of this. You can't really say your game is hyped right now. I think the public awareness is practically nonexistent, regardless of the referenced articles above. That's what you have to work at, so that a Wikipedia article comes naturally. You now jumped the gun and artificially created demand for the article. It's obviously a tactic.

I don't care either way, I'm not the type that deletes Wikipedia articles because of a notability debate or whatever. I really couldn't care less. I just think this is premature.

Mentioning the other games doesn't really help here. To compare your game to AAA titles like these, you've got a lot to prove. Well, apart from DNF, of course.

What would really make sense is building awareness by contacting kotaku, gametrailers, 1Up and so forth and putting effort into PR, for example with alpha footage or whatever it is you have. If they do not react, that's maybe an indicator how noteable your game is at this point.