Freshbite

Re: Fan Art

Post by Freshbite » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:52 pm

You have a well thought out sense of humor. Image

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:24 am

Ylvali wrote:It was a joke.
Ah, it makes some kind of sense, then. It was weird, but not weird enough for me to realize you weren't serious.

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:25 am

That scared me.

shikun

Fanart

Post by shikun » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:47 pm

long time since i posted here. anyway, i drew a frogman that could be added as a character in overgrowth (for modders). frogs maybe don't fit in overgrowth, just had an odd idea. maybe if you kill a frog you get a "jumping boost" for a limited time. jumping on enemies will kill them instantly etc. like the bloodlust in the game rune...

note that i'm not really good at drawing. but you get the picture...
Attachments
Frogman.jpg

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:27 pm

[Merged with existing Fan Art topic]

You might think that you're nothing out of the ordinary, but know that you will always be greater than I am. Image

Ozaffer

Post by Ozaffer » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:29 am

Here's some other alternate species character concepts.
Rat warrior modeled to be like a ninja.
Rat warrior modeled to be like a ninja.
Small and tough mouse
Small and tough mouse
Champion warriors the Badger
Champion warriors the Badger
Badger Warrior.jpg (119.16 KiB) Viewed 10988 times
Attachments
A 3D character I made in the past that could be altered for overgrowth.
A 3D character I made in the past that could be altered for overgrowth.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:19 am

Hello shikun, Ozaffer!

Shikun, I don't think there will be frogs, humanoid or otherwise, in the main Overgrowth game modes. Jumping higher after landing on one probably won't be in either. Physics-based fighting will be a big part of the gameplay, so breaking the physics (how does stomping on someone result in a super-high jump?) on combat wouldn't fit the theme.
It could fit for a mod where the focus is on doing cool tricks, jumps, getting to hard-to-reach places etc. In there, enemies would not be the focus but a hinderance and an obstacle, even an aid for getting into some places that you usually can't reach. I think your idea could work better in a mod like that.

Ozaffer, you can draw the clothes and the fur really well. I especially like the rat's shirt, and the checker pattern in the badger's arm. However, the anatomy of your drawings isn't as good. If you're interested, here's a very good learning aid for human and animal anatomy, and how to combine them.
What program did you use to make the 3D character? Blender, 3DS Max or something else? Also, did you rig it yourself? That's not an easy feat. I'm having a lot of trouble rigging a character who also has armor near his knees and shoulders, but they've been modeled so that it's really hard to make them work as well as your lizardman's.

Ozaffer

Post by Ozaffer » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:54 pm

Endoperez wrote:Hello shikun, Ozaffer!
Ozaffer, you can draw the clothes and the fur really well. I especially like the rat's shirt, and the checker pattern in the badger's arm. However, the anatomy of your drawings isn't as good. If you're interested, here's a very good learning aid for human and animal anatomy, and how to combine them.
What program did you use to make the 3D character? Blender, 3DS Max or something else? Also, did you rig it yourself? That's not an easy feat. I'm having a lot of trouble rigging a character who also has armor near his knees and shoulders, but they've been modeled so that it's really hard to make them work as well as your lizardman's.
Thank you, the anatomy issue is something I have heard before and something im currently working on so I'll check out that link. Not sure if it's that I picture the animal hybrid body's to be different proportions then that of a human's or what at the moment, but I'm sure it will improve soon.

The 3D Character was modeled low poly and unwrapped in Max 2009. Transferred that model over to Z brush to add some detail on with normal maps, then Photoshop for the textures. Yup I rigged his skeleton using the bone system and I believe IK chains then skinned it onto the model. That process can be difficult at first but once you get use to setting up the bones, your hierarchy, and weights while skinning it's not to bad. Still takes practice, I have rigged and animated a few characters now I still get some problems setting up the arms and hands.

BTW: You are welcome see some of my other models and drawings on my site DrakelingDesigns.com

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:00 am

Ozaffer wrote:Thank you, the anatomy issue is something I have heard before and something im currently working on so I'll check out that link. Not sure if it's that I picture the animal hybrid body's to be different proportions then that of a human's or what at the moment, but I'm sure it will improve soon.
Heh, knowledge of anatomy is also what my drawings and models are missing at the moment, and I can tell you it only improves as soon as you really take it seriously. I haven't, so far, and haven't improved noticeably in a year or two now.

If you don't mind me saying it, your problems are more severe than adjusting the human body's proportions to hybrid's proportions. You are drawing symbols of the hands and of the face, not hands and faces like they would really be. For example, you always draw five fingers, but the four digits are always perfectly lined up. Betty Edwards' "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" helped me understand the difference, you might want to check if your local library has a copy.
The 3D Character was modeled low poly and unwrapped in Max 2009. Transferred that model over to Z brush to add some detail on with normal maps, then Photoshop for the textures. Yup I rigged his skeleton using the bone system and I believe IK chains then skinned it onto the model. That process can be difficult at first but once you get use to setting up the bones, your hierarchy, and weights while skinning it's not to bad. Still takes practice, I have rigged and animated a few characters now I still get some problems setting up the arms and hands.

BTW: You are welcome see some of my other models and drawings on my site DrakelingDesigns.com
I've recently found an interesting arm rig I'm still trying to properly understand. In it, the upper arm and the lower arm are divided into two bones each. The first bone of the upper arm controls the angle between the arm and the shoulder, while the second bone of the upper arm controls the twist of the arm. The same goes for the lower arm, one bone handles the elbow joint and the other the twist. I haven't found a good description of how it works, but I saw the principle used in the forearm of this model:

http://www.game-artist.net/forums/vbart ... ticleid=53

For the rigging of the fingers to work well, the fingers have to be modeled right. There are many ways to get good deformation, but having perfect edge loops doesn't seem to be the easiest way.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61079

Ozaffer

Post by Ozaffer » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:24 pm

Endoperez wrote:
Heh, knowledge of anatomy is also what my drawings and models are missing at the moment, and I can tell you it only improves as soon as you really take it seriously. I haven't, so far, and haven't improved noticeably in a year or two now.

If you don't mind me saying it, your problems are more severe than adjusting the human body's proportions to hybrid's proportions. You are drawing symbols of the hands and of the face, not hands and faces like they would really be. For example, you always draw five fingers, but the four digits are always perfectly lined up. Betty Edwards' "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" helped me understand the difference, you might want to check if your local library has a copy.
Not at all I appreciate the criticism, and that is something I do often. Think one issue is that it's hard for me to picture the image in one perspective, I tend to imagine living objects in motion or just any object from multiple perspectives. That's actually one of the reasons I got into 3D work instead of 2D, easier for me on a lot of levels.

I've recently found an interesting arm rig I'm still trying to properly understand. In it, the upper arm and the lower arm are divided into two bones each. The first bone of the upper arm controls the angle between the arm and the shoulder, while the second bone of the upper arm controls the twist of the arm. The same goes for the lower arm, one bone handles the elbow joint and the other the twist. I haven't found a good description of how it works, but I saw the principle used in the forearm of this model:

http://www.game-artist.net/forums/vbart ... ticleid=53

For the rigging of the fingers to work well, the fingers have to be modeled right. There are many ways to get good deformation, but having perfect edge loops doesn't seem to be the easiest way.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61079
Interesting, this is normally how I set up my skeleton but I haven't tried making a break in the forearm like that. Not sure how that would help, maybe because the twisting motion of the forearm is more pronounced near the middle of the bone rather then the elbow.. Fingers can be a problem if you haven't planned for rigging ahead of time.

Oraito

Post by Oraito » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:24 am

Lots of awesome work here! Thought I share my piece as well.
Always wanted a Fox race in OG.

Some might think it's not a unique race compared to the wolves and dogs, but I see the fox as a subtle, more elegant mix of the two.
Besides, Disney's Robin Hood was awesome! Might give him a similar outfit. XD

Still lots of work to be done. Will keep posting updates as I go. :wink:

uthere1

Post by uthere1 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:51 pm

really awesome he looks amazing and he would look pretty sweet in a robin hood outfit :lol:

GreenFlame

Post by GreenFlame » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:53 pm

Great Fox concept, Oraito!
Btw i've seen somewhere an old official concept for Lugaru 2 and there were a fox and a tiger among the other races. Also, i think we can already have a running fox in game if anyone makes a model =)
I'd like to see the next update, Good Luck on it =D

Cosec

Post by Cosec » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:59 am

Great stuff Oraito!

I think it would be awesome if you made another version with some clothing or armour on top. Maybe some weapons too???

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:33 pm

Rabbit farmer
Rabbit farmer