MMO/Multiplayer version for Overgrowth?

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
resin

MMO/Multiplayer version for Overgrowth?

Post by resin » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:11 pm

I'm probably going to get spanked for this thread, but necroing an old one seemed just as bad.

I like MMO's and the idea of playing with a large community of people, I don't like the overused fantasy/scifi concepts and click to fight playstyle most have.

Overgrowth, both in setting concept and player abilities, all the wall-kicking, rabbit-kicking, jump and run styles, and stealth attacks, would be awesome in a large MMO environment. It's all the things that I feel are missing from the current MMO offerings. Has this already been discussed to death? Is it technically unfeasible? Is there any interest in it at all, from the Wolfire team I mean.

My apologies if this is a rehash.

Ozymandias

Re: MMO/Multiplayer version for Overgrowth?

Post by Ozymandias » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:20 pm

I sort of pictured a few rabbits hanging around town talking, and figuring "hey let's go kill stuff" and so they went and killed stuff, leveled up, and got the +4 fry pan they've always wanted.

If you ask me, an MMO for Overgrowth... umm... I don't think it would actuall be an RPG but rather be single player... with lots of other people... but I think that a -regular- multiplayer would be easier (and I think that's what was going to be planned)

Perhaps someone hosts a server with 16-32 players (whatever) and then it can be many different game types (cooperative, competetive, or maybe something else). I'm not sure how the gametypes would work... other than deathmatch, team deathmatch, and co-op.

resin

Post by resin » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:30 pm

I was picturing a stealth invasion of an enemy warren, possibly some RvR against the mice, to see who will claim ownership over the cabbage fields, maybe the Lupine could hire themselves out as mercenaries to turn the tide of battle.

zamzx

Post by zamzx » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:39 pm

It's already going to be multiplayer to some extent; look back aways in the blog.

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:43 pm

zamzx wrote:It's already going to be multiplayer to some extent; look back aways in the blog.
We know this, that's why we're throwing other ideas out. I'm sure that the idea of a MMO was probably ruled out, it would still be nice to do something similar to the singleplayer campaign, except with 15 other people.

I believe there was a thread to discuss the 'normal' portion of the multiplayer as well.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:32 pm

I do like the idea of a multiplayer campaign...

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:46 pm

Glabbit wrote:I do like the idea of a multiplayer campaign...
Yeah, this would be interesting.

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:48 pm

I don't know what it is but I've always liked working cooperatively with people online =)

Jendraz

Post by Jendraz » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:12 pm

I like the idea and I see your point, but I don't expect it to happen. It's nice to think about though.

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:28 pm

Hmmm... I have some Ideas for Multiplayer.

Server lobby/Meet up point: the Server lobby is made into a Noncombat room where you meet and talk to other players. Interaction with enviernment (such as eating and drinking or even chucking a small ball, possobly food fighting) is the players only things they can really do here. Basicly a Game like the Forums. From here the player finds a match. When he is ready he uses a GUI to connect to the server the fight will take place and find himself there.

The Server lobby may look like a Baracks or a Tavern.

Battles:

Survival Team Death Match: like DM in a team, but with one little bother about it. Once you are dead, your dead till the round ends (like a Typical CS:S match). The Players in each team must help each other if they want to live. Help may include first Aid and stuff.

Battle Feild: Your Fighting To control something as a member of a faction from LOG ((Lugaru: Overgrowth) . your objectives are to usualy to capture and deffend something. Battle Feilds are Games that are played on epic scales of 10vs10 or 30vs30 PvP (around 20-60 players in one game(I know, Im demanding, just a little)) The Battle feild is vast and may vairy in task.
its like being a little dude in an RTS like Age of Umpires.

Viking Zippy
Wooter

Post by Viking Zippy » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:11 am

wormguy wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:I don't know what it is but I've always liked working cooperatively with people online =)
I third that. Lugaru? Co-op? Drooooool.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:06 pm

Viking Zippy wrote:
wormguy wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:I don't know what it is but I've always liked working cooperatively with people online =)
I third that. Lugaru? Co-op? Drooooool.
<3

Have David or Jeff noticed this topic yet?

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:40 pm

Possibly, but there is another topic about multiplayer. It's rather old though.

I wonder what brilliant ideas we can discuss now... I'm fresh out for now. (sadly)

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:44 pm

The brilliantness of how the co-op would work, possibly?

Would it be like single-player but with two or more main bunnies?
Or a new story altogether?
Would battles be many v.s. more, or split into different places wherein the Turner Team must execute action simultaneously? i.e. turner 1 can't continue until wabbit24 clears his room and presses the button for turner 1's door to open or summat...
Multiplayer challenge modes?
Would you be able to choose your animal when playing online, or would it be server-specific?
A Fox-And-Hounds type game mode (Bunny-and-wolves?) comes to mind.
Lugartoo truly has epic potential of epic proportions... And if anyone thinks I use the word epic too much, it's because I'm talking about something Wolfire's working on here.

A combination of the many would be epic.

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:59 pm

I would hope that there is some modability to the game, that way multiplayer scenarios/campaigns could be made easily. I sort of doubt Turner would appear in Multiplayer, and yes I do hope that online (or offline) you get to customize your rabbit (or in the case of many species, character(s))

(off topic: character customization isn't on topic... but maybe once you beat the singelplayer game once you can do it again with the 'character' you made for challenge levels/online...)