Martial Arts Video References for Overgrowth

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Endoperez

Re: Martial Arts Video References for Overgrowth

Post by Endoperez » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:35 am

Dog soldier weapons:

DOUBLE-HANDED BROADSWORD

Miao Dao, Chinese two-handed sword (zhangmadao, changdao, dadao), and not only one video... but a whole playlist! :D Unfortunately, there are no high-quality versions.

2:35 shows details about how the sword is grabbed, 3:44 onwards shows action. Earlier than those, it's just warm-up.

2-4 are different solo forms. The attacks are easily discernible, and blocks are also shown if you know what to look for.

Miao Dao solo forms.

6 A 50-second long two-person form. Please note the push near the end of the form (0:38), where red-shirt pushed the black-shirt towards the wall. Grapple+forward?

The playlist also has videos about European longsword (already posted here IIRC), so I guess the differences between Chinese and European styles aren't too big. This would mean that all the two-handed sword, langen schwert and longsword videos of this thread could also be used to draw techniques from.

4:55
I don't know what's going on in here. It's a sword sports-match in Japan, between two guys wearing kendo armor and using wooden kendo practice swords, but it's named and tagged "miao dao". It's some kind of competition help in Japan to commemorate Beijing Olympics in 2007.
Any way, I'm posting this because if the fighters would be dog-soldiers they'd be biting each others' face off all the time. No wonder they prefer polearms! :wink:

GLAIVE

Naginata (Japanese glaive) vs katana videos:

5:03, the same two-person form performed repeatedly
this form "Omote no Naginata" seems to be from Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu - now that's a mouthful.

1:24, freeform sparring
Great action but, unfortunately, the video quality is low.

2:30, looks like another freeform spar
Great video about a naginata user keeping his distance. Shows some nice ideas for what the AI could do if the player decides to be inactive and wait for the opponent's action. Also shows several different ways to grip the weapon and different ways to attack from them, if you want to implement that.
Last edited by Endoperez on Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

GreenFlame

Post by GreenFlame » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:15 am

My post is incorrect, im really sorry for that:

"Oh god this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5k5kSIc ... re=related
is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PLESE Watch THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!They're almost flying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

i've posted incorrect link!Here is what i wanted to post(here they are "almost flying")
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGjOkNxq ... re=related

also here is some nice Kung fu too =)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_gmRSw5 ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OwZ5IXTdHo&NR=1

Im really sorry for that mistake

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:43 am

GreenFlame wrote:My post is incorrect, im really sorry for that:

i've posted incorrect link!Here is what i wanted to post(here they are "almost flying")

Im really sorry for that mistake
Nice kicks in these videos. Good thing that you caught that mistake.

Fehin

Post by Fehin » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:09 pm

Here are some video of vovinam viet vo dao , an unfortunately not well-known martial art

An halberd kata
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SIELgQ-yTI

Several acrobatic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aWELd1BZqA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9taaDVVTw8 ( poor quality )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkfoqc_wQJk

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:50 am

Fehin wrote:Here are some video of vovinam viet vo dao , an unfortunately not well-known martial art

Several acrobatic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aWELd1BZqA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9taaDVVTw8 ( poor quality )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkfoqc_wQJk
Pretty cool jump kicks. I especially liked the scissor-kick in the first video that ended up with both in the ground.

Sandurz

Post by Sandurz » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:44 pm

Nice kicks in these videos. Good thing that you caught that mistake.
They're all cool to watch, but they're both impractical in rl and in a game. The animation would be too showy.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:30 pm

staff vs three-section-staff, 0:55
Wushu fight (i.e. choreographed). While the video quality isn't good, some of the action is slowed down. The camera follows the staff-user for most of the time. Shows how grips change all the time - sometimes the staff is hold with both hands as far away from the staff's center, sometimes the hands are together near one end of the staff, and so on.
Last edited by Endoperez on Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:53 am

KALARI, the Indian martial art

Very lithe, agile practitioners with peculiar movements. It might inspire the way rats move and fight, or something else. For most of these videos, every "hit" is always either parried, blocked or evaded, so that the videos are full of "counters" and such, but it can be hard to see what a "hit" would be!

Dagger vs dagger, +disarms, 0:24

Starts with fast-paced evasions, then one of the combatants loses his dagger while he frees his hand from grapple. Then the unarmed guy does a really cool throw, somewhat like good ol' Backbreaker in Lugaru, except that the thrown guy comes down to his feet. It's in slow-motion and, as I said, cool!

"Punching dagger", 0:34

From the same poster as the above video. The daggers are like punching daggers, at a 90-degree angle to knuckles.

spear vs sword/shield, 1:16

VERY, very good video for both spear and sword/shield combination. Enough speed to look dangerous, slow enough to see what they're doing and how they're parrying. If there's any fault in this video, it's the fact that spear is on the aggressive for most of it, so that we don't see many sword-attacks, and I didn't notice the spear-user parrying any thrusts.

various weapons for the last 3 mins out of the 8:37

quarterstaff vs quarterstaff at 5:30,
short stick (dagger-sized) at 5:55,
quarterstaff (long staff) vs a stick about the size of a sword at 6:20, including disarms and other nice moves,
otta, a stick with an s-curve, vs otta; 7:40 to the end. This looks more ritualistic.
Parts before the quarterstaff have some nice jumps, landings, very high kicks and other interesting moves.

A heavy mace and other things

The video begins and ends with a dance part that probably won't interest you, and the middle part with the weapons varies a lot in quality. However, I have only found two videos which feature those heavy, wooden clubs at use from 2:32 to 3:05. The first is the Kalari video on the first page, and this is the second. This, especially the parries, should be useful for those heavy hammers some dogs will use. While the clubs look extremely clumsy, just think about the precision necessary to parry the hits, and what would happen if you tried the same with a sword.
Last edited by Endoperez on Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:38 am

shillelagh (irish fighting stick), 3:02

Lots of pretty cool moves. Shillelagh is about a sword-sized stick, but it's held a lot from the middle. Really cool stuff, including blocks to 9 or so basic attacks. Even better, the poster has several lessons that add more similar stuff, and detail straight "counter-moves" to the basic attacks.

Unarmed bagua zhang, single-person form and brutal applications:

After 3:00, the teacher in the video describes the "more ugly" things you can do with it. "This can be a block. Instead, we use it to couge his eyes. We don't stop here, but go in, grab his neck, and SNAP!" :shock: Basically it's just counters to a straight punches, but it's delightfully different.
Last edited by Endoperez on Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:36 am

Umbrellas!

Umbrella against dagger, umbrella against unarmed, umbrella against straight stick/sword, and rather playful 5 unarmed vs 1 umbrella. Lots of cool applications, including grappling, various disarms, counters to grappling and punches, parries... If you ever need to fight with an umbrella, here's how you do it. Available in high-quality. They're obviously pulling the strikes to avoid maiming each other, but it's still useful for technique.

Besides umbrellas, the techniques are applicable to walking canes with a hook on the handle-end.
Last edited by Endoperez on Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:04 pm

Of course, we need some car-throwing Aikido in there too...:
[It's a joke! A Joke, you guys! Stop hitting me!]

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:46 am

Aikido, the art of throwing THE EARTH at your opponent! (Or was it the other way round?) :lol:

Some Aikido Randori. Randori is fast-paced reaction training. Most of the time, there's an attacking role (uke) and a reacting role (nage). Uke will always attack, and will not resist the techniques nage is doing, because the idea is for the nage to learn to REACT as fast as possible. When the techniques go off without a hitch, another attacks can come sooner. Only one attacker attacks at once.

4 vs 1 randori, 1:11

The guys in white shirt and black "skirt" are high-level, others are beginners. The beginners are handled more carefully. The tecniques are hard to make out, but it shows what a 2vs1 might be like when the one is very good. Also, look how the opponents are thrown between the thrower and another opponent.

4 vs 1 and 2 vs 1, 2:22

Shows how the ukes can be controlled in various ways: held in a lock, thrown against each other etc. Very fast-paced, so you can't really see the individual techniques. Again, this is more useful for the look of things than exact techniques.
Last edited by Endoperez on Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Merlkir

Post by Merlkir » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:18 am

Great to see so many European videos, especially the RealGladiatores longsword ones, those are excellent.

Not sure if the messer one has been posted (one handed swords, explained techniques):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38sVdx7n ... re=channel

I'm not sure if you guys are planning to have shields, but these applications of Talhoffer to viking shields are very interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8SRaa33 ... re=related

actually, the whole Hammaborg channel is probably very useful, the spar with bucklers, longswords..

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:56 am

Endoperez wrote:Only one attacker attacks at once.
Usually, this is true. But there ARE two-uke attacks and techniques, which CAN be used in Randori occasionally. Very much fun :lol:

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:41 am

Merlkir wrote:Not sure if the messer one has been posted (one handed swords, explained techniques):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38sVdx7n ... re=channel

actually, the whole Hammaborg channel is probably very useful, the spar with bucklers, longswords..
The messer video was posted. In the first post! :wink:

Have you seen any Arme Antica videos? If not, see the umbrella link just before the car-throwing aikido image.
Glabbit wrote:Usually, this is true. But there ARE two-uke attacks and techniques, which CAN be used in Randori occasionally. Very much fun :lol:
You're right, I should've known that. I have been taught one such technique, where two ukes each grab one of your arms. I also saw a video where randori was done like that, but didn't post it. I think it was from "central valley aikido" group or user, but they looked like they were wrestling or something.

It didn't look like it would work in a game, since following the other's movement and neutralizing his actions before he could even create an opening that he could then use to attack you, is too complicated to do manually, hard to simplify well, and I doubt automating it would be fun. It would be easier to know what to post if we were told more about the fighting system... (I hope the Wolfire guys read this! :lol: )