The missing races.

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Noz

The missing races.

Post by Noz » Sat May 30, 2009 12:08 pm

How many of you were so excited when you saw that tiger in Aubrey's blog post and then were let down when you found out that Mr. tiger was not going to be in OG?

Richie Rabbit

Re: The missing races.

Post by Richie Rabbit » Sat May 30, 2009 1:00 pm

It looked cool it was not really a let down to me tho..knowing that the game is still going to let you play as an rat, etc.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat May 30, 2009 1:29 pm

It was pretty clear what the races were going to be, at that point, so I wasn't surprised. I also fail to see what's so interesting about tigers. They're just big cats, and since we have cats, we'll see a tiger mod if anyone really wants them added. There are many animals that would make more interesting playable races, though. Hopefully we'll see some of them in mods.

Reindeer men. They travel in the hundreds and during winter, raiding whole countries. Think mongols with horns.

Equines. That hoof packs a mean punch.

Elephant Man. To drive the Whale Man back to the sea.

Bat Men. Air superiority!

Humans are, obviously, very important for great many mod projects. The models can be reused as elves, dwarves, halflings, orcs (retextured) etc.

Bulls would end up looking like minotaurs, but I'm sure someone will add a race that looks like WoW Tauren and call them Minobulls, Taurus, Bullmen or something similar.

Turtles. Ninja turtles, tutored by a ninja rat. The rat should be radical.

Lambs, to give wolves something to wear.

Bears, master wrestlers. GRAAA!

Badgers, otters, moles, hedgehogs, shrews, squirrels, weasels and few others would be enough to make a Redwall mod. In other words, not likely.

Green Martians, and thoats for mounts. Add White Apes and few human models to be used as Red Martians and John Carter, and we have Barsoom.

Richie Rabbit

Post by Richie Rabbit » Sat May 30, 2009 3:16 pm

Make way for the new overgrowth character abnormality horseman.

Ylvali

Post by Ylvali » Sun May 31, 2009 4:49 am

How about "civilian" races, characters and animals. Beings that don´t take part in the fighting but makes the world look less empty.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Sun May 31, 2009 6:04 am

kind of like the hawks in lugaru one but I'm guessing more of an anthropomorphic think such as there are rats, cats, dogs, wolves, and rabbits actively involved in the fighting, but there are also mice, squirrels, foxes, and whales who just kind of standby (probably just one whale)

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Sun May 31, 2009 6:48 am

No, it wasn't disappointing.

The picture was obviously dated and they had already made it clear that there is only going to be the five species in the game. Also, don't you think having tigers in the same game as rats and rabbits is sorta stretching the scale? Rats and wolves is already pushing it.

I'm sure everyone here (yes - including myself*) could think up a ton of other critters that he or she would like to see in the game. However, there are practical constraints to be considered. Besides, if you include too many species you just end up with overlap**. When all else is said and done, five seems like a decent number.

*Bats and goats and... wombats!
**It occurs to me that there may already be overlap with dogs and wolves... but that remains to be seen.

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Sun May 31, 2009 6:57 am

The dogs and wolves problem is solved because dogs seem to be more civilized and have honor and such. Wolves you could consider rabid dogs, just killing whatever for the most part. it would probably be easier to reason with a dog warrior than a hungry hungry Bolshevik wolf. If foxes were added they might be more similar to rats but be more sly ADN STOFF.

Having a bunch more similar races would eventually cause some sort of overlap.

Anyways, it seems that I could just have a bot do a lot of posting for me, simply stating "whatever isn't in the final game can probably be modded in"

In this case, squirrels.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Sun May 31, 2009 7:38 am

Ozymandias wrote:The dogs and wolves problem is solved because dogs seem to be more civilized and have honor and such.
I dunno. The majority of the speculation regarding the character of the various species has come from forum members rather then the Wolfire guys.

What little "official" stuff there is to go on suggests that dogs might not be particularly civilized or honorable. This blog post for example.
Ylvali wrote:How about "civilian" races, characters and animals. Beings that don´t take part in the fighting but makes the world look less empty.
Yeah, bystanders and such would really add some life to the setting. I had sort of assumed that the standard races would include "civilian" characters.

invertin

Post by invertin » Sun May 31, 2009 12:16 pm

To me, the dogs are based around order and stuff, but not necessarily good. (considering that most of their stuff is based around squares and cubes)

But anyway-

The one race I want to see in overgrowth is non-anthromorphic riding ostriches.

Richie Rabbit

Post by Richie Rabbit » Sun May 31, 2009 2:52 pm

I'd like more animals as big as whaleman at least 4 more like walrusman,giraffeman,elephantman & gorillaman.

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Sun May 31, 2009 4:00 pm

And apatosaurus man

Speaking of extinct species, how about Man man, or Woman man as the female Man man

Richie Rabbit

Post by Richie Rabbit » Sun May 31, 2009 4:49 pm

Powder Toast Man in overgrowth would make the game a god of games.

BlackHole

Post by BlackHole » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:25 am

Bird races would be superior. They have airstrikes! :o

- Black
I chose not to choose life: I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?

Razura

Post by Razura » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:03 pm

you are all missing the obvious thing... We need Lizard men, who can lash at people with whip-like tongues and crush bones with powerful jaws...