What annoyed you most about lugaru?

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Viking Zippy
Wooter

Re: What annoyed you most about lugaru?

Post by Viking Zippy » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:27 pm

Most of the things that annoyed me about Lugaru were relatively subtle things: fire being on the F key which I normally use to move right, not being able to switch out of Lugaru without quitting it, and a bug where the volume would be really loud until adjusted in settings, then I'd have to keep hitting it to get back down to 20%, my ideal volume.

Most of all, though, was the orientation of movement when setting the camera to stay in place by pressing C: Turner seemed to move in relation to the map, not where the camera had been placed, which was extremely frustrating when playing around in debug with an alternate perspective :P

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:08 pm

those were all debug mode problems though. and debug wasn't an official part of the game.

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:49 pm

Yea Debug mode/"map editor" is the most annoying thing about Lugaru for me.

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:23 pm

Untadaike wrote:Yea Debug mode/"map editor" is the most annoying thing about Lugaru for me.
:lol: because it forced you to make maps against your will?

(Actually, I'm guessing you mean because it's so hard to use, right? I'm going to save money just for a gaming computer this winter, a stompin' PC so I can try the OG alphas.)

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:21 pm

kehaar wrote: :lol: because it forced you to make maps against your will?
Haha, yeah, it was really abusive, lol.

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:49 pm

One other oddity I forgot, and that Dantecruz' maps reminded me of:

If you don't make a walking path for the enemy character, he will chase you for a minute, then stand still and stare at a wall or the horizon, letting you sneak up behind him.

If you do make a path for him to patrol, he'll go back to it after a bit. But if it's on top of a structure he can't get onto, or behind a wall, he'll jump at the wall for an hour like a caffeinated dog with OCD.

Of course I haven't the faintest idea how to remedy this, but it does fiddle the illusion of realism a little. Maybe it would be better if the stationary npc kept up his frantic "looking around" animation instead of stopping?

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:11 pm

well you can set pathfind waypoints as in the green ones which show the way around obstacles, those are severely underused I've found.

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:30 am

I tried those for a while on some maps and never could tell what they were supposed to be doing. They didn't seem to have any effect.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:04 am

it's like for if you're a dick and climb up some place the enemy can't think of how to get, then they follow that and it's supposed to lead them up there, example, you make a tall tower with a short series of blocks that you can jump up, the enemy just tries to jump at the tower, till you set the pathfinds, then if you set them correctly the enemy will follow them up to the top of the tower and kick your yellow keister right off the tower while laughing.

h2ostra

Re:

Post by h2ostra » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:52 am

Zhukov wrote:
invertin wrote:Oh and on insane mode they can teleport.
Technically speaking, they can "pounce".
I refuse to call it a "pounce", when they are moving 40 foot equivalent (i don't know how tall the rabbits actually are) up a sheer cliff in the blink of an eye, or tackling you out of the air while you are 20 feet up. Plus, this just makes it damn hard to rabbit kick them when fighting multiple wolves (more than one seems to severely exacerbate the problem. that being said, that is my only real problem with the game. sometimes it bothered me that wolves could catch knives without even seeing you throw them, but that's something I learned to deal with.

Megika

Post by Megika » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:05 pm

This is a repost.

First: the AI jumps off cliffs way too often - really, it would be nice if it didn't jump off cliffs at all. Well, unless you give them some extra help :wink:. I'm guessing you're doing a lot of work on the AI; well, I hope so. It would be good for this to be fixed.

Second: pretty similar to the first one - make the AI avoid rolling (after being knocked down) off a cliff or into a wall. Rolling into a wall isn't as bad, it just means it's easy for you to do that high-powered kick which you can only do to a crouched enemy, which leads me into the next one...

Third: if a person rolls into a wall, make them stop and stand up. Two reasons: the one pointed out above, and it looks really stupid.

Fourth: aerial combat stuff. I don't think you should be able to do any kind of crazy spin-kicks or throws from mid-air, but I think you should at least be able to do a straight kick from the air into a ground enemy. Also, a little bit of air-to-air combat would be nice - it could help alleviate/prevent a problem with the AI, which is...

Fifth: the AI can't deal with constant jumping around, flipping and wall-kicking. When you get enemies near a wall and start jumping around, they stand there and watch you. If you flip before a wall-kick, the kick almost always connects. This can make combat extremely easy.

Sixth: Leg Cannons/Rabbit Kicks. I do hope you're keeping them, they're really cool. However, they are too easy to pull off in my opinion. The way I see it, in combat you have three main attack options, with different chances of success and different levels of power. You have:

Leg Sweep: High chance of success (CoS), low damage.
Double Punch: Medium CoS, medium damage.
Spin Kick: Low CoS, High damage.

Your choice of which to use is always influenced by other factors; as an example, with two enemies coming at you, you might choose to quickly knock one of them over with a leg sweep and then punch/spin kick the other. The CoS is influenced by other factors as well - it seems that injured or dazed enemies are considerably worse at blocking your attacks. Also, if you kick an enemy from the front you have a much lower chance of success than if you kick from the back - same for kicking them as they get up. By the way, I really like this system.

Anyway, that's all beside the point. What I've noticed recently is that if you leg cannon someone from a very close position, it almost always succeeds, regardless of their angle to you or if they're aware of your presence. You do have to be right in line with them. As an example, in the first challenge mission in Lugaru, I jumped a long distance in front of an enemy and ran straight towards him. When I was almost on top of him I leg cannonned (should be a word) him and it succeeded. I tried this several times and it succeeded about 8-9 times out of ten (only using fresh, undamaged enemies).

So we get leg cannon as an attack with a moderate-high CoS and enormous damage; this isn't right in my opinion.

Well, that's all. That turned out a lot longer than I expected.

I also dislike the wolves catching knives when they can't see you.

Zaphon

Post by Zaphon » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:55 pm

Huhm. I don't think I find anything particularly annoying about Lugaru... I guess in the beginning I got my ass kicked a lot, which can occasionally be annoying/frustrating, but once I stopped sucking at the game that wasn't really a problem.
THE MOAR YOU KNOW

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:28 am

That's what she said.

But hey, it was alway ME who did the dishes.
:evil:

Joxer

Post by Joxer » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:16 pm

Until I found all the mods on here it was the shortness of the mission.

Now it is mostly how much I suck at it.

Though I agree with the flying kick idea - it seem odd if you are approaching an enemy mid jump that you can't assume an attack posture mid air, with a flying or stationary enemy, a static enemy would take damage and in air you would take less from the collision (unless they attacked too). Of course if you miss a similar result to a missed leg cannon would ensue.

TheCaptain

Post by TheCaptain » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:40 pm

The only annoying thing I can think of is that wolf claw move. The one where they are standing and swing their claw at your face, causing decent damage, plus permanent damage like you'd been hit by a knife, all in a nanosecond. Plus when you countered it, they could bust out another move instantly. I mean the wolves are hard enough already!

But maybe I'm just not good at the game hahaha