Overgrowth reminds me a bit of Zeno Clash

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
smyger

Overgrowth reminds me a bit of Zeno Clash

Post by smyger » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:10 am

I'm probably not the only one who had this thought. That's pretty darn awesome in a way.

Endoperez

Re: Overgrowth reminds me a bit of Zeno Clash

Post by Endoperez » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:19 am

What IS Zeno Clash, exactly?

Also, that's an awesome avatar! :lol:

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:26 am

Zeno Clash is a game that nearly beat Overgrowth in popularity due to the fact that it was further through development at the time the polls came and therefore looked slightly more 'awesome'. (The fools! We'll show them we will! Uh, I mean, Wolfire will. Yes.)
I didn't look into it much 'cos it didn't have any suggestion of mac support, so it would be useless to me until I get a workable crossover solution.

I saw the vids. Looks a bit like a first-person action fighter whatsitsface situation, with some sort of tribal setting. Also impressive graphics, but I don't lay any weight on them. Gameplay overrules all.

Insofar as I can tell, the only similarities it shares with Lugartoo are: Tribal-esque-ness, indie company, fighting.

That's about it.

smyger

Post by smyger » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:34 am

Zeno Clash is a first person 3D fighting game from 2009 developed by an independent Chile studio called ACE team. It takes place in a bizarre punk fantasy world.

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:00 pm

There's some resemblance, only in the fact that they both include fighting, but other than that the games are completely different.

Zeno Clash was alright, not my cup of tea, though.

PetzI

Post by PetzI » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:05 pm

Zeno Clash was pretty sweet. I recommend it. Don't expect all the jumping action from Overgrowth, but it's definitely a fun fighting game.

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Post by Wilbefast » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:01 am

Zeno Clash doesn't have the same free-roaming elements are Lugaru and Overgrowth - it's more of a brawler: a series of arena fights. That's no bad thing, just different. The setting and art style are amazing, and it's interesting from the point of view of it being a first-person fighting-game and not terrible, but I found it a little claustrophobic, and not as fast or flowing as Lugaru:

For those too lazy to look for videos :wink:

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:24 am

By claustrophobic, do you mean how you can only see so little in front of you and have no perception about anything happening on your sides or behind you? The world looks amazing and the art is great, but first-person fighting game where you have to fight against several opponents doesn't sound like like it'd be much fun...

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Post by Wilbefast » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:26 am

What do I mean by claustrophobic? Well, the levels are very small - as I said: they're basically just arenas. You don't progress through a level fighting enemies: they appear, you fight them, then more appear or the level is over. Then there's the "First Person" tunnel-vision, which is okay for a shooter but feels clunky for a fighter - some of your moves whirl the camera around or make it lunge forward, which is realistic but makes you feel like you don't really control the character.

But as first-person fighters go, it's definitely a bold step, and better than any of the others I've seen. The fights are brutal and the art design, as I've already said, is really good.

Armored Wolf

Post by Armored Wolf » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:30 pm

A fighting game from a first-person perspective? I don't think I would like that. I much prefer third-person games generally, first-person perspectives make me feel boxed in and like the game is hiding something...

Probably just me.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:57 pm

Wilbefast wrote:Then there's the "First Person" tunnel-vision, which is okay for a shooter but feels clunky for a fighter - some of your moves whirl the camera around or make it lunge forward, which is realistic but makes you feel like you don't really control the character.
I think Mirror's Edge did first-person combat very well. Your movement felt realistic but the movement wasn't so jerky that it distracted you from what you were doing. Also, you weren't ridiculously overpowered. If you tried to take on 2 people at the same time without using cover on Hard difficulty, you'd die.

Pablopa99

Post by Pablopa99 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:42 pm

Glabbit wrote:Zeno Clash is a game that nearly beat Overgrowth in popularity due to the fact that it was further through development at the time the polls came and therefore looked slightly more 'awesome'. (The fools! We'll show them we will! Uh, I mean, Wolfire will. Yes.)
I didn't look into it much 'cos it didn't have any suggestion of mac support, so it would be useless to me until I get a workable crossover solution.

I saw the vids. Looks a bit like a first-person action fighter whatsitsface situation, with some sort of tribal setting. Also impressive graphics, but I don't lay any weight on them. Gameplay overrules all.

Insofar as I can tell, the only similarities it shares with Lugartoo are: Tribal-esque-ness, indie company, fighting.

That's about it.
Zeno Clash is source engine, so it works perfectly under Crossover Games or a CXZ Wrapper.