Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Jeff
Evil Twin

Re: The Humble Indie Bundle

Post by Jeff » Thu May 06, 2010 4:45 am

Lord_of_Sausage

Post by Lord_of_Sausage » Thu May 06, 2010 8:00 am

I bought two packs yesterday (one for me, and one for a friend, i felt generious), yet no other mail than the usual PayPal ones have shown up, and it's been nearly 24 hours now? What should i do? (can't log in on the IRC with nor mibbit or my two of my irc programs, and John isn't online yet).

BlackHole

Post by BlackHole » Thu May 06, 2010 8:36 am

Maybe it has something to do with the appengine maintenance yesterday? I noticed this too when I gifted a bundle to a friend of mine, but he told me he couldn't redeem it.
Asked John about it, and he told me the appengine was under maintenance:
Conversation between Black and John wrote:[22:27] [ACC]BlackHole: hey
[22:27] wolfirejohn: yo
[22:27] [ACC]BlackHole: i just gifted a Humble Bundle to a friend of mine
[22:28] wolfirejohn: awesome :)
[22:28] [ACC]BlackHole: but when he enters his name and email, it says "page cannot be displayed"
[22:28] [ACC]BlackHole: could it be that the bundle became so popular, that the order system is getting a bit overloaded?
[22:28] wolfirejohn: no appengine is under maintenance
[22:30] [ACC]BlackHole: okay
[22:30] [ACC]BlackHole: did they give any indication of how long it will take?
[22:31] wolfirejohn: I think maybe half an hour
[22:31] [ACC]BlackHole: okay
[22:31] [ACC]BlackHole: thanks =)

That was yesterday (May 5) in timezone GMT +1. Did you order around this time?

If so, I think you should contact Wolfire and I'm sure they can work out an solution. :)

- Black
In politics, you have your word and your friends; go back on either and you're dead.

BlackHole

Post by BlackHole » Thu May 06, 2010 10:00 am

Wilbefast wrote:If this trend continues as it did with the first pack, they will have made about $160,000 by the end of the week :mrgreen:
That would be more then a million USD total in just a week time. :shock:

I can't wait to see if the Bundle is going to make it! 8)

- Black
Television is more interesting than people. If it were not, we should have people standing in the corners of our rooms.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Thu May 06, 2010 10:24 am

Hm, I decided to see how much people were contributing, so I went to the Humble page and reloaded it a few times, to see how much the dollar-amount updated with each reload, the major difference I could see was with a few dollars with every reload, the biggest being $15, but at an average of $3 - $5 with each update.

Personally I bought it for $7.5. However, I was unsure of the dollar currency.
When I checked my credit card debit, only 36,86 SEK (Swedish currency) were charged.
Checking the dollar-to-SEK amount, I get that 36,86 / 7,5 = 4,91466667.
This number is really low. The dollar-to-SEK amount should be around 7 SEK / 1 USD.
That was what I was counting with when I made the purchase.

If I knew this beforehand, I would have bought the game for about $10-12 instead of $7.5
Now I'm tempted to buy it again, or as a gift, because I didn't contribute with as much as I wanted to... Image

Lord_of_Sausage

Post by Lord_of_Sausage » Thu May 06, 2010 12:16 pm

BlackHole wrote:Maybe it has something to do with the appengine maintenance yesterday? I noticed this too when I gifted a bundle to a friend of mine, but he told me he couldn't redeem it.
Asked John about it, and he told me the appengine was under maintenance:
Conversation between Black and John wrote:[22:27] [ACC]BlackHole: hey
[22:27] wolfirejohn: yo
[22:27] [ACC]BlackHole: i just gifted a Humble Bundle to a friend of mine
[22:28] wolfirejohn: awesome :)
[22:28] [ACC]BlackHole: but when he enters his name and email, it says "page cannot be displayed"
[22:28] [ACC]BlackHole: could it be that the bundle became so popular, that the order system is getting a bit overloaded?
[22:28] wolfirejohn: no appengine is under maintenance
[22:30] [ACC]BlackHole: okay
[22:30] [ACC]BlackHole: did they give any indication of how long it will take?
[22:31] wolfirejohn: I think maybe half an hour
[22:31] [ACC]BlackHole: okay
[22:31] [ACC]BlackHole: thanks =)

That was yesterday (May 5) in timezone GMT +1. Did you order around this time?

If so, I think you should contact Wolfire and I'm sure they can work out an solution. :)

- Black
In politics, you have your word and your friends; go back on either and you're dead.
Yeah, bought my two copies around 21:50 or something like that, thanks for clearing it out. Gonna send a message to John when he comes online.

Hobse

Post by Hobse » Thu May 06, 2010 1:06 pm

So I've got a question... do these games with keys that we can then activate on Steam? I prefer to be able to have all my games linked to my Steam account because I keep reformatting my computer and like to be able to re-download them again from one place.

Is that possible with this pack? I'm definitely excited about it, I'm just curious! Thanks for the answers if you have them!

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Post by Wilbefast » Thu May 06, 2010 1:10 pm

BlackHole wrote:
Wilbefast wrote:If this trend continues as it did with the first pack, they will have made about $160,000 by the end of the week :mrgreen:
To clarify, I meant "the end of the week" as in "the end of the week-long sales-period", not the end of this week - dream on :P

Then again recalculation shows that the pack is picking up speed: $381,194 / 7 (shares) / 2 (days) * 7 (days) ~ $190,000

If the d$/dt continues to rise at this rate...

Fournine
.hacker

Post by Fournine » Thu May 06, 2010 1:12 pm

I'd like to know if I can claim this on my taxes as a charitable contribution.

Brute

Post by Brute » Thu May 06, 2010 3:25 pm

Pack of Indie Games - check
Mention Charity - check
Some reasonable default value for money bidding - check
Warning on low amount of money - check
Questions for better statistical analysis - check
Get linked on Slashdot and Ars Technica - check
Create a blog post with some thing of interest to lure more people onto the site - check
Link the pack in the blog post - check
Get linked on Slashdot and Ars Technica (again) - check

Obviously you learned from the Organic Indie Preorder Pack. Nice to see. Remember to add a litte overtime to the countdown this time.

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Post by Wilbefast » Thu May 06, 2010 3:33 pm

Brute's right - the psychological precision can be scary at times. It goes right down to the pie-chart and leader-boards to press all the competitive buttons :lol:

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Thu May 06, 2010 3:34 pm

Good points, Brute.

Also, welcome to the forums! I see it's your first post, even though you've been registered for a while. Were you one of the NS2 crossovers?

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Thu May 06, 2010 6:18 pm

Wilbefast wrote:
BlackHole wrote:
To clarify, I meant "the end of the week" as in "the end of the week-long sales-period", not the end of this week - dream on :P

Then again recalculation shows that the pack is picking up speed: $381,194 / 7 (shares) / 2 (days) * 7 (days) ~ $190,000

If the d$/dt continues to rise at this rate...

Brute

Post by Brute » Thu May 06, 2010 6:29 pm

Blorx wrote:Were you one of the NS2 crossovers?
yes, i am
just finished to read the whole blog, including the part where they mentioned their super-evil plan in detail - a mistake most super-villains do
let me quote:
By Jeff on January 10th, 2009 wrote: The Independent Games Festival grand prize is one of the highest honors an indie game can receive. More important than the $20,000 check is the fact that it can rocket indie developers out of obscurity and into headlines; if we won, we wouldn't have to fight to get people to return our emails, they would contact us first!
but we are definitely going to enter Overgrowth next year
first, the IGF proudly invites winners of the previous IGF to judge for the upcoming contest, and second, a few people on my buddy list, and even some members of Overgrowth's Secret Preorder Forum, are among the judges
World of Goo, Aquaria, and Braid are some of the past winners.
I've been floating the idea of having an affiliate program for Overgrowth so other indies can sell it next to their games, in exchange for a generous commission.
see?

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Thu May 06, 2010 9:19 pm

So? :P

We'll bail when they turn into an EA, Activision, or Ubisoft ...