Purchase Concept Art

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Keloran

Purchase Concept Art

Post by Keloran » Fri May 14, 2010 5:37 pm

Is there anyway to purchase a professionally printed version of the fan art, or should i just get staples todo it

would love to have some of hte concept art on my walls, a brillant example is the wolf-slayer one that was posted recently

moscowconnections

Re: Purchase Concept Art

Post by moscowconnections » Fri May 14, 2010 6:41 pm

i also wonder if developers would allow other people's fan art to be sold with references to "overgrowth" or "lugaru"; they are the kind of people who understand the value of marketing :) i hope for a yes :)
Last edited by moscowconnections on Fri May 14, 2010 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moscowconnections

Post by moscowconnections » Fri May 14, 2010 6:47 pm

the head of the slayed wolf looks great, with the eye that has "surprise" or "fear" frozen in it...

would love to have it...

Ylvali

Post by Ylvali » Wed May 19, 2010 5:49 pm

The wolf slayer isn't fan art, it's an official overgrowth concept. So I guess it could be sold.

To sell posters of the fan art wolfire would have to first buy the rights from the artists who did it.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Wed May 19, 2010 6:04 pm

Ylvali wrote: To sell posters of the fan art wolfire would have to first buy the rights from the artists who did it.
Or just offer a small royalty of some sort...perhaps even nothing! We have a cool community here, after all. :mrgreen:

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu May 20, 2010 12:28 am

Blorx wrote:Or just offer a small royalty of some sort...perhaps even nothing! We have a cool community here, after all. :mrgreen:
"for free" is.NOT.cool, at all.

That's like saying that you can get Overgrowth for free, because we have some cool developers here.

A royalty is fine, but I'm not sure of that. It could even go the other way round - the maker of the fan art pays Wolfire a small royalty for being able to use the Wolfire name in advertising. I mean, if someone draws a dog ninja, is it Overgrowth fan art or an antromorphic warrior dog? What, exactly, makes it specific to Overgrowth? Is it enough it the creator calls it Overgrowth fan art? What if he only calls it fan art once?

Selling fan art is complicated, especialyl when the style is different from that of the original game and the art itself doesn't include any clearly recognizable parts of the game (no specific characters and weapons, or buildings of a specific style, etc).

zamzx zik

Post by zamzx zik » Thu May 20, 2010 5:38 pm

At the moment, if the artist wishes people to be able to create posters and or prints, all the have to do is upload the highest resolution photo they have and let us at it.

As for selling, the devs are pretty cool, and if you seriously wish to sell your art (or buy it) you should contact Jeff or John privately and immediately, to ask them about it.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Thu May 20, 2010 6:20 pm

Endoperez wrote:
Blorx wrote:Or just offer a small royalty of some sort...perhaps even nothing! We have a cool community here, after all. :mrgreen:
"for free" is.NOT.cool, at all...
People are ALWAYS producing art and stuff for free

If someone says "I want to use your stuff in a class" id let them use it ... especially if i made it just for fun without the notion of being paid for it ...

There are alot of artists out there that definitely would be satisfied with just having their art seen by others ...

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Thu May 20, 2010 6:29 pm

Assaultman67 wrote: There are alot of artists out there that definitely would be satisfied with just having their art seen by others ...
In reference to this, any good musician should smile at piracy, as it means people want to hear their music, and their music is getting out there.

philcrumm

Post by philcrumm » Thu May 20, 2010 11:47 pm

Blorx wrote:
Assaultman67 wrote: There are alot of artists out there that definitely would be satisfied with just having their art seen by others ...
In reference to this, any good musician should smile at piracy, as it means people want to hear their music, and their music is getting out there.
That's not entirely true. There have been a non-trivial number of bands (both pre-Internet and on the Internet itself) who have given away albums in order to drum up publicity. Assaultman67 did not say that all individuals would be in favour of such things; he did, however, say, there are many who would not mind, which is indeed the case ;)

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri May 21, 2010 12:31 am

Assaultman67 wrote:People are ALWAYS producing art and stuff for free
The context was "Wolfire could sell other people's art and offer a small royalty, OR PERHAPS NOTHING". As in, making money out of something they didn't do, and not giving anything to the original creator.

I'm not saying that free is never an option, but in this case, it isn't.

Ninjas

Post by Ninjas » Fri May 21, 2010 11:14 am

I have thought a few times about posters and other things, but it is kind of expensive for small batches and we would have to make a large batch and sell them all to make any money from it. Given that that's the case, I think we may wait until the game is ready to launch before doing doing posters and stuff.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Fri May 21, 2010 1:43 pm

What about selling High-resolution digital images?
I am sure that atleast most of us would not spread them out across the internet.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Fri May 21, 2010 3:09 pm

Freshbite wrote:What about selling High-resolution images?
I think that atleast most of us would refer from spreading them out over the internet.
Ich denke, dass das ein gute Idee tun könnte.

Aye, misplaced foreign language speaking.

Translation: I think that that could be a good idea.