Suggestion for swordfighting in Overgrowth

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Ragdollmaster

Re: Suggestion for swordfighting in Overgrowth

Post by Ragdollmaster » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:35 pm

It took me about two seconds to make that connection back when I played the tutorial like 3 years ago :P

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:01 pm

Well maybe a human couldn't, but Turner is a super ninja rabbit. And in the hypothetical real-life situation that someone could survive, a roll would certainly help. Rolls make an amazing difference on landing, I know, I practice Parkour.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:17 am

A better question would be, "what does it add"?

Falling down standing could 1) do damage, 2) stun for a moment or 3) make noise. If it does one of those, the roll would let a player negate whatever effect it is that's given. Timing the roll badly and falling on your back would do at least two of the three, perhaps all three. Should the mechanics discourage the players from making huge jumps? No. That means 1 shouldn't be in. Stun and noise would be fine. Should the mechanics discourage the player from making huge jumps when trying to be sneaky? Could be. That means noise would be fine.

There's more similar questions, but we're not quite there yet as regards to gameplay. Once it can be tested in-game, it will be faster to just do a few variations and test it in-game.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:23 am

Yes, I suppose I see how the damage might discourage people from doing big jumps entirely, but might it also provoke a higher level of skill in players? You certainly need more skill the bigger a jump is in real life, so why not in a a realistically physic'd computer game? In Lugaru you could take damage from crash landing too many times on flips, but it didn't discourage me from doing flips whenever I had the chance. I think all three would be appropriate on really big jumps, there's no way that anyone could jump 100 feet down without diffusing the force of impact in some way and escape completely unscathed. I know you're not far enough along in programming to get to details like that, I just think it's something to consider.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:14 am

Jacktheawesome wrote: (1) Yes, I suppose I see how the damage might discourage people from doing big jumps entirely, but might it also provoke a higher level of skill in players? (2) You certainly need more skill the bigger a jump is in real life, so why not in a a realistically physic'd computer game? In Lugaru you could take damage from crash landing too many times on flips, but it didn't discourage me from doing flips whenever I had the chance. I think all three would be appropriate on really big jumps, there's no way that anyone could jump 100 feet down without diffusing the force of impact in some way and escape completely unscathed. (3) I know you're not far enough along in programming to get to details like that, I just think it's something to consider.
(1) If a mechanic discourages jumping and there's no benefit, why would high-level players want to learn to do it well?
I also missed some kind of landing mechanic in Lugaru, but you have to consider the effects it will have on gameplay. For example, if it deals damage but doesn't stun it's risky but may be useful in battle, while if it doesn't deal damage but stuns, it leaves you vulnerable if you land near enemies.

There's also the option of landing ON the enemy. Realistically, that'd hurt just as much. Gameplay-wise, that's awesome and shouldn't deal damage or stun.

(2) Think about that for a minute. Aiming with a gun, using different weapons well and running for a long time are hard to do in real life. While anyone can pull the trigger, swing a stick or run a short sprint, very few people take the time to become really good at these things.
What games need isn't strict adherent to realism, but coherency and structure, and fun. If rabbits are good jumpers, and if jumping is fun, it should be easy and encouraged.

(3) Well, they haven't done the damage systems yet, but the stun-after-landing would be trivial to add. I'm not sure if the game tracks how long the character was falling, but that wouldn't be hard to add either.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:03 pm

Ah. Well those were all certainly good points, and I guess my original query was simply about adding a roll to prevent something nasty on impact because it would A) be awesome and B) more realistic. You are right though, coherence and structure is more important than complete and utter adherence to reality, and as I mentioned earlier he is a super ninja rabbit :D. I'm sure you guys know what you're doing.