Phoenix Engine 9-30-05 More Weapons

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Razor7

Post by Razor7 » Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:58 am

I want to have an ability to set gore levels. Hence, slice someone, you SLICE SOMEONE, as in half. Then be able to pick up the bodie(s) and throw them.

This definitely would make it better. Perhaps a quicky patch for Lugaru 1? :-D

i would definitely enjoy that

-TC

Vib Rib
Lugaru da Vinci

Post by Vib Rib » Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:02 am

I imagine it wouldn't be hard to add (God, how programmers hate to hear that line from the ignorant masses who can't fathom the weeks it really WOULD take to add things like this), since the parts are already (at least in Lugaru 1) somewhat divided, as evidenced by the proportion command, but then, there would be defined split point.

If we want to go with increased gore, I'd personally like it if a thrown knife could embed anywhere, not just the center of the torso.

Headshots would be brutal.

Oh! And what about a sword throw? Like a last-minute desperation move? You can impale 'em with swords (even sticks out the front) but only with map editor codes... seems like it was considered but dropped at the last minute.

toshiro

Post by toshiro » Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:49 am

Crill3 wrote:As far as I know no one has said a word(this word) about it: shields.
Well... wouldn't that change gameplay drastically?

Unless you made it an auto-block like in Oni, e.g., when you stand still, you'd have to implement a way to control the shield.

For example, if you see the enemy attack you from jodan (sword overhead, cutting downwards), you'd want to deflect the blade, not stop it, because it might shatter your shield. Thus you'd keep the shield at an angle. If the enemy attacked with a knife, you'd want to stop it, maybe even lodge it in your shield to take it away from him. Thus you'd ideally need a right angle of impact.

That brings up dual wield, too (like rapier and dagger fighting, or the two-swords school)... but I'm almost sure that has been mentioned before, so I'll shut up.

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:16 am

Yes, it would change the gameplay (when using sheilds) but in this
case I think thats a good thing.

Though it's not a thing I demand in L2 :P

Evil Penguin

Post by Evil Penguin » Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:28 pm

@Crill It is spelled shields.

Anyway, I was going to buy Lugaru 2, but when I saw the katana, I almost fell off my chair laughing, the modeling is excellent, but why a katana? There would be very little use in it, you couldn't block with it, and why not just use a sword for that matter?

TheG-Man

Post by TheG-Man » Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:20 pm

so you arent gonna buy lugaru 2 just for one weapon model?

huh...

interesting...
doesn't bother me too much.

Evil Penguin

Post by Evil Penguin » Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:22 pm

Uh.. No, I will probably be buying, I was just commenting on the weapon model, I guess what I said came across wrong, my apologies.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:39 pm

What is wrong with the katana? It is among the most effective cutting weapons ever made, and there is no reason why you could not use it for blocking or parrying. It also has unique advantages, such as its ability to fluidly draw and strike in one motion. Its most serious disadvantage is that it is extremely expensive to make. Could you please explain your objection?

Evil Penguin

Post by Evil Penguin » Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:07 pm

Oh yes, I agree that it is a effective cutting weapon, however, as opposed to a lot of stupid anime shows, they are not incredibly tough, blocking was useless unless it was against something like a knife, it would simply bend if faced up against a Western sword, because katanas were not made for hacking at things, they were made for clean cuts.
Now I know there will be a dozen objections to this, but if you actually do the research, those are the facts.

Vib Rib
Lugaru da Vinci

Post by Vib Rib » Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:28 pm

So you object to using a katana to block because despite its common interpretations and representations, it's not traditionally realistic, yet you have no problem with the fact there are rabbits running around on two feet talking and hurling knives at each other in the first place.

Evil Penguin

Post by Evil Penguin » Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:03 pm

I don't object to it because of its common interpretations, I am just saying that if it was to be using the normal Lugaru sword (engine? I know thats not the right word) It would not be very realistic.
And Lugaru seems to have some weapon realism, and I think that is what David is aiming for, unless I am mistaken. (Except for the knife throwing, but that is beside the point.)

Kalexon
Kalexon

Post by Kalexon » Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:14 pm

So please explain this: if the katanas were so usless how did the samuri's survive on the battle feild and were able to go up against ten ordinary men with weapons and knew how to use said weapons. The Japanese survived a lot of wars back when they still used samuri. So please explain how the Samuri survived on the battle field with a "useless" weapon, and if they were so useless why the Japanese started not using them only about a hundred years ago.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:22 pm

I do not do my research from watching anime, I do research from reading books on the subject and studying martial arts. While a katana's harder and sharper edge would chip more easily than a western sword's when used in edge-to-edge blocking, this is not important because edge-to-edge blocking was almost never used in swordfighting. Edge-to-edge blocking was weak and ineffective, and seriously damaged both swords involved. Sword-to-sword contact consisted mostly of parries and redirections, which could be performed just as well with a katana as with any other sword.

The hard edge would, however, be a disadvantage against medium to heavy armor such as studded leather or plate mail, because the blade was more easily damaged by direct edged impacts against hard surfaces. On the other hand, against light armor like cloth or leather, the katana has an advantage, because its sharp draw cut can easily cut through flesh and bone.

While the katana is obviously not a lightsaber-like supersword, it is arguably the most effective and versatile two-handed cutting weapon. It could be used one-handed or two-handed, on foot or on horseback, for slashing or for thrusting. While a rapier is better for lunging thrusts, and a knight's broadsword is better for bashing armor, there is no sword that is as effective in as many situations.

Homocidal Ham

Post by Homocidal Ham » Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:04 pm

by the way i cant remember if the head of an atlatel dart falls off once it hits
it's target, and also does napulm/greek fire really react violently to water?

(and again i still think it would be cool to have a explosive)

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:18 pm

Homocidal Ham wrote:by the way i cant remember if the head of an atlatel dart falls off once it hits
it's target, and also does napulm/greek fire really react violently to water?

(and again i still think it would be cool to have a explosive)
Molotov Cocktails!!!