Wolfire Development Blog!

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:52 pm

I think Zantalos' title should be switched to "Just Had Too Much Coke". Not the drug, the drink. 8)

Question for David : Do I see Turner accelerating as he runs? Are there varying running speeds in the engine?

You're hard at work, by the way. Thanks for plenty of blog posts.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:57 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:Question for David : Do I see Turner accelerating as he runs? Are there varying running speeds in the engine?
He does accelerate realistically. More notable though is his deceleration. Don't tell Zantalos, but when you stop running, Turner begins his slow down process, which normally only requires several steps. If you're running down a steep hill though, the engine intelligently recognizes that it's going to take quite a bit more than a couple of steps for Turner to stop, and he will kind of scampers down the hill trying to slow himself as you might expect.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:43 pm

That is indeed sweet, and is reminiscent of the attention to detail found in Lugaru. It's the small things like that which make it easier to come back to a game again and again. Replayability is certainly going to be a factor of this game, in my opinion.

Note : You may want to delete that post just now, because it contained information which could be putting the safety of certain people at risk. :)

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:41 pm

*Seizures out* Oh man... I.. I.. That's so sick... aw.. awesome! Fre-Freaken swe- freaken sweet!

Ok, that time I pushed myself over board. This excitement isn't bothering anybody is it? Well, uh cool then!

Ya, I had a notion that this engine would do this! The first time Turner got up after that roll, ya, I knew. But man, this is really sick! To actually control a character that is complete with his own sense of place, it's amazing! Much of this aw, is coming straight from the fact that programmers like this is so unique. You hear names like Peter Molyneux and Will Wright but in comparison, David Rosen has so much more potential! It's crazy any game developer can do things like this, and pretty much all of these things are made entirely by David himself! How can you guys not be excited like this? There's just... check out this game! All these things done right from David (except for all this content stuff like models, music, and texture. What a team! These guys are making quite possibly one of the greatest games ever made.). Hell man, who stayed up till 3 AM rendering up an entire grass system, no one else but David! (That also goes with Jeff too Nobody in their right mind programs till one in the morning, that's incredible)
Heh heh, he worked so hard he spelt "thought" without a 't' :P

Albab
This title is part one ...

Post by Albab » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:16 pm

xD Zantalos... God damn. Seriously, people would pay to have you as their fan.

Sectaurs

Post by Sectaurs » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:59 pm

One of the things i love about the animation system doesn't really translate in that video, i feel.

with just a little nudge of the directional keys, you can make him convey tons of emotion. a quick tap of S and he'll turn his head to look behind him. a little more, and he twists his waist to get a better look. a little more and he starts to turn in earnest.

you guys are seeing the tip of the iceberg :twisted:

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:14 pm

Man you guys are so lucky :o

Does this mean that David is actually sending you guys these tech demos?
You lucky dogs! I want to make Turner look around too, you guys need to create more in-game footage. Of course, to show off all of Lugaru's abilites I recken a developer's diary would take at least... damn, probably more than a half hour, and that's like the bare minimum you guys! Has there been any job openings for campaign and ad designers? Of course, I'm not qualified but seriously, you guys need someone to show this stuff off!

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:18 pm

You should find full-time employment as a groupie.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:08 pm

Woah, even the gamershell finally realized that something's going on! Rock on, David ;)

Zaphon

Post by Zaphon » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:16 pm

I thought that was really cool when I checked gamershell today!
"Zomg! Lugaru!! :D"

I hope it spreads more around the internet!

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:11 pm

The link is a nice find aswell, but wouldn't it make more sense to actually give some links that discuss the sequel in any way? For example:

http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ID=12989 <--- News about the progression of development on Lugaru 2.
http://www.macgamer.com/features/?id=2028&page=2 <--- Interview with David discussing, in short, a piece of Lugaru 2.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:20 pm

Yeah, you're right.. But these links point to mac gamer sites. I've never been to any mac gamer site in my whole life. Anyway, nice find!

As a sidenote, the impact of having news on gamershell is way bigger than having news on mac games sites. Gamershell is a resource for a wider community and for the press.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:39 am

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:47 am

It looks great :o

I feel insecure in the blog comment section..

Zaphon

Post by Zaphon » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:59 am

Holy. Crap.
That actually looks like fur!
I can't really think of a game that does that successfully.

Keep up the awesome work!