Wolfire Development Blog!

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Nazgul11
LoTR@localhost

Post by Nazgul11 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:49 pm

Wow, nice. Can't wait to hear more on it.

benjags

Post by benjags » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:01 pm

that's very nice :wink:

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:33 pm

Man that's going to be awesome! I mean holy crap!

Has any other game done this? I haven't even heard of simulations doing this. And how are you doing this, is it all coding or is there actually a program that designers can use, maybe a bit like middleware? This is just too cool.

Can't wait to see this in action. Deserts, swamps, pampas, and plains are going to look so much more realistic, this kind of thing is unbelievable. How in the world can this be done? I mean, million dollar companies can't even do this, your a genius David. This game will definitely set the new standards on what games should be like, no games have business being this good.

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:02 pm

Zantalos wrote: Can't wait to see this in action. Deserts, swamps, pampas, and plains are going to look so much more realistic, this kind of thing is unbelievable. How in the world can this be done? I mean, million dollar companies can't even do this, your a genius David. This game will definitely set the new standards on what games should be like, no games have business being this good.
It's a tree man, lets not get too excited ;p

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:16 pm

that's not JUST A TREE, that the tree of the future man! :P

We all know that this ground breaking technology is sure to sell for millions if David ever wants to sell this type of middleware/engine. Forget speedtree rendering, we're talking fertilizer based tree rendering from now on (rendering is not quite the correct word I think, not really sure).

And this is such a huge step from other games, imagine if the Farcry editor could create trees like this, freaken awesome. This is such a huge step from Lugaru, no more will we have to run into the same trees over and over again, each one will be unique.

Just a tree... you sicken me :lol:Image
(hey will tree planted wall kicks become impossible now? :D )

Albab
This title is part one ...

Post by Albab » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:16 am

That's really cool. 0_o Soil nutrition... Farms, david? are you planning farms? GIMMEFARMS. I want a rabbit version of harvest moon. Gimme. xD

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:42 am

Oh dude that would HELLA SICK, let's have soil nutrition that also bases how much fruit can grow on a tree. The size of the fruit could be based on other things as well, such as if the tree has a huge branch to leafs group ration (Branch:Leafs) then the fruit would get smaller, how about pruning!

Ok now pruning might be a little too much, but I like Albabs idea of farms, or some kind of harvestable plant:
Image Awesome right!

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:19 pm

Maybe you should start a Lugaru 2 plant ideas thread 8)

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:29 am

Ooo, nice!
Does this mean you can chop holes and cut down trees with your sword/axe and such, and then, some days later, you come back and see that there's already a branch growing out? :P

But, this is just great! This engine... it rules. :shock:

levbot
mad tweaker

Post by levbot » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:17 pm

these trees are amazing. but will they grow in-game or will that be a separate program to individually shape trees? this seems cool, but it also looks as if it'll just make it run slower.

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:51 pm

levbot wrote:but it also looks as if it'll just make it run slower.
Um, on what are you baseing that comment?

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:13 pm

They grow in game

Albab
This title is part one ...

Post by Albab » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:28 pm

FARMSGODDAMNIT! -dashes in circles-

levbot
mad tweaker

Post by levbot » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:33 pm

zip wrote:
levbot wrote:but it also looks as if it'll just make it run slower.
Um, on what are you baseing that comment?
im not tech savvy, but it sems as if all this fancy new stuff will slow down the game.

I FEAR CHANGE!!!

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:42 pm

Hmm, I would guess that this would slow down the game. But is it neccesary? Of course it is, I mean check it out, breakable, climbable, growable trees. Oh yeah, and doesn't anything slow down games? I've never heard of next-gen games being runable on past-gen computers, It's an easy concept that I can't explain.

But are what's your baseline? Do you like the change or would you rather not have this? Are you Pro or Con? Maybe you're just pointing out that better stuff requires better computers, duh :P . We got till what, Fall? All games are going to need faster computers by then, it's when playstation 3 is coming out (It might get delayed again, or something), games need to be designed to the fullest to keep in check with other games. Showing 10,000 people with a decent frame rate, that's going to be pretty awesome.