OSS Lugaru: Turner is back and 100% open source

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Akien

OSS Lugaru: Turner is back and 100% open source

Post by Akien » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:20 pm

Hi there,

OSS Lugaru, what's this?

Some of you might be aware that Lugaru had been open sourced by Wolfire in 2010 in the early golden days of the Humble Indie Bundle. It had then seen various improvement forks from interested contributors, which were then merged together in the "OSS Lugaru" project (OSS for "open source software")... which finally died out due to a lack of interest as the Lugaru assets were not open source, and thus distributing improved versions of the game was not really legal.

A few weeks ago, David agreed to relicense all Lugaru HD assets to a free license (CC-BY-SA 3.0), and since the code was already under the GNU GPLv2+ license, Lugaru is now 100% free and open source.

With some of the developers from the OSS Lugaru team, we decided to restart the development for real now that we can distribute our own releases as a libre game. We move to a new home and GitLab repository and pushed already more than 250 commits in a little over one month!

First open source release: Lugaru 1.1

Yesterday we released Lugaru 1.1 to celebrate the simultaneous release of the Lugaru campaign in Overgrowth, and David was kind enough to link to our project in the alpha 227 release announcement.

These are the highlights from this release (compared with the current version distributed by Wolfire -- note that our version might end up being distributed by Wolfire too when it's proven stable enough):
  • Multiple campaigns support, making it easier to install and play mods!
  • These Lugaru mods are included by default as alternative to the Turner official campaign, as they are now also freely licensed (CC-BY-SA 3.0 and CC-BY-SA 4.0):
  • All assets (animations, textures, models, maps, sounds, etc.) of Lugaru HD by Wolfire are under a free and open source license (CC-BY-SA 3.0)!
  • Window and input management ported from SDL 1.2 to SDL 2.0, improving the support for modern screen resolutions and fullscreen mode, as well as better input handling.
You read well, Lugaru now supports having multiple campaigns/mods installed at the same time, and we included the Temple, Empire and Seven Tasks mods out of the box. Other mods could be included too as soon as we manage to get in touch with their authors so that they can relicense them under an open source license.
Good old Ash in the Empire campaign! -- albeit without his dark fur as the texture triggers some bugs :P
Good old Ash in the Empire campaign! -- albeit without his dark fur as the texture triggers some bugs :P
Downloads

Enough talk, time for playing!
Also check the complete release notes for details about what's new and particularly what changed compared to the original Lugaru (especially regarding where the config and save files are located, and how to toggle the devtools mode for modding).

Participating

We're a small bunch of open source and gaming enthusiasts, and of course fans of Lugaru! Don't hesitate to register an account on GitLab (it's free) and join us in further developing this cool game. We plan to work on more releases, this 1.1 is just a start!

Useful links:

Akien

Re: OSS Lugaru: Turner is back and 100% open source

Post by Akien » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:33 pm

To modders, note this change from the release notes of version 1.1:
  • Dehardcoded game data loading, making proper system-wide installs possible on Linux
    • This change broke some of the compatibility with existing mods, as the character clothes paths were hardcoded in the map files. It might also have impacted the modding tools to some extent, potential regressions will be fixed in future releases.
Effectively, that means that paths to clothes which were hardcoded in maps as :Data:Textures:somepieceofcloth.png now need to be of the form Textures/SomePieceOfCloth.png, so all mod levels need to be fixed via hex editing - I've done it for all mods which are now included out of the box in Lugaru 1.1, it's not too hard, but don't be surprised if you see stuff like that: 8)
Right, I see those clothes very well... Definitely the desert type.
Right, I see those clothes very well... Definitely the desert type.
The main objective right now is to include as many mods in the main game as possible, provided we can get them properly licensed. If not, I will likely provided fixed versions of those mods that are compatible with Lugaru 1.1 and later versions.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:25 pm

Oh, huh!
Can't say I expected this any time soon. This is really cool to see.

Jendraz

Post by Jendraz » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:11 am

So cool, guys. Seamlessly switching between campaigns feels amazing, even though it's been 6 years since I actively played this game =D Bravo.

edoantonioco

Post by edoantonioco » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:21 pm

This is great. Are you going to add the other two campaigns? (Lugaru: Reluctant Assassin and Lugaru: Ancestral Tales).

Akien

Post by Akien » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:52 am

edoantonioco wrote:This is great. Are you going to add the other two campaigns? (Lugaru: Reluctant Assassin and Lugaru: Ancestral Tales).
I'd like to, but I need a public statement from their authors that they put them under an open source license such as CC-BY-SA 4.0, like it was done for Temple, Empire and Seven Tasks.

tannim

Post by tannim » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:14 am

You are welcome to include my Mini Campaign, even if the first level is crap that doesn't seem to work anymore. I need to delete that and re-up the campaign with just the good levels.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:05 pm

tannim wrote:You are welcome to include my Mini Campaign, even if the first level is crap that doesn't seem to work anymore. I need to delete that and re-up the campaign with just the good levels.
The Mini Campaign is awesome! Can't wait to play these again!

Akien

Post by Akien » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:26 pm

tannim wrote:You are welcome to include my Mini Campaign, even if the first level is crap that doesn't seem to work anymore. I need to delete that and re-up the campaign with just the good levels.
Could you add a statement to the original post of your thread on the Mini Campaign to specify its license? It should be a license which allows redistribution and modification of the levels.

For the other mods, everybody has been using the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike license (CC-BY-SA), of which the latest version would be 4.0, so if that's fine by you, you could use that too. See e.g. the first post for the Empire campaign to see what kind of "public statement" would do the job.

To be more specific about the license I propose, CC-BY-SA gives basically the right to do anything, with two restrictions: BY (Attribution), i.e. the author (you) must be named when redistributing the licensed work; SA (Share Alike), i.e. any derivative work should be kept under a similiar license (i.e. one can't make a proprietary campaign based on yours, it would have to stay CC-BY-SA or similar).

bevis0405

Post by bevis0405 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:06 am

I am glad to be back into the OSS community. I have been away for some coreball time, but I have been working on some new projects. One of these projects is the re-release of the classic game "Lugaru."