How to: Kill Wolves

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
»StaffShock«

How to: Kill Wolves

Post by »StaffShock« » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:54 am

Ok, So many people have been asking how to kill wolves or what to do, so I thought I'd just post a tutorial. (Not that I'm the best at Lugaru, but I think I'm pretty good...) Note: This is pretty much just everything other people have said slammed together.

If you want to stealth attack, as a couple of people have said, approach them downwind.
Downwind can be found by looking at the snow,
Every third sway (I think) on a tree or bush,
The way sand blows when you run,
Or the way leaves blow when you run through a tree or bush.
(I know I was quoting almost directly there.)
However, you can't just sneak up behind them. You need to jump from a distance and land right near them, downwind of course. This takes a while to get used to, but after you get the distance down it becomes almost second-nature.

A couple of people have said that if you jump flip over a wolf you can slit his throat. That's one way, which works very well. I made a movie of beating the campaign level with three wolves using only stealth. Hopefully that will prevent further questioning.:wink:

Another way is knock them down a bunch, and then rabbit-kick them into a tree or hard place.

If you have a heavy weapon, (not a knife) improvise.(For a staff, try to knock them down and beat them until the staff breaks.)

Also, even though many people have said this, you can get a knife throw one way or another, knock them down, and then roll or back-handspring over their bodies to wrench the knife out for an instant kill.

You can even kill them with a crouch body-punch, but that takes a while. (I did it with a baby wolf on wolf den.:))

Another way that I find works very well is wall-kicks. And I know that enemies will almost always roll under wall-kicks, but here's how I do it. Get an enemy very near a wall, and jump towards the wall and flip right when you're against it, and them immediately wall-kick. The wolf should be completely stunned before you hit. I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but it works every time if it's done right. This is the only way for me to kill a pack of wolves without a weapon.:lol:

All these will work on rabbits, too, but you can stealth-approach a rabbit from any direction.
Last edited by »StaffShock« on Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Madfrenzy

Post by Madfrenzy » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:28 am

very nice tactics! i personally use a tactic like this if encountered by one or more wolves.

1 wolf: IF i have a weapon i use the flip+backstab/throatslit, otherwise regular melee and counters.

2 or more: i run until the wolwes are in a line or very close to eachother, then i turn, jump, flip and confuse them, and rabbit kick them. This usually ends up in two dead/unconscious wolves :D

Skyrage

Post by Skyrage » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:42 am

Fun game - downloaded it recently - but I have to say that wolves are horribly overpowered. I don't mind the force of their attacks but...wow...since when did wolves have *sharp* claws??

They bite, they don't slash. And their slashing kicks are probably the most ridiculous thing unfortunately.

The whole difficulty of taking a wolf down just takes the whole game down by a lot.

And I've been trying to practice these suggestions on how to kill wolves for days now.

Lessee, sneaking up on a wolf whilst staying downwind - am yet to see a SINGLE wolf which this is possible to do on. I've spent roughly a day alone trying to make this work, but it doesn't. Most wolves walk around, and you can't sneak behind them fast enough.

Rabbit kicks are as the game says - just too hard to pull off successfully. 8 out of 10 times they will counter it.

A knife against them isn't much better than being unarmed. That throat slash thing while jumping over them doesn't work for squat and trust me, I've spent lots of time to make it work. As far as I'm concerned such technique doesn't exist at all.

Throwing a knife at them and then wrenching it out for a kill is equally tedious. First, the wolf has to actually be on the back if the knife hit his forward side or vice versa. Second, you have to be so lucky as to pull off some miracle knockdown of the wolf so that you have just enough time to reach him whilst he's down and pull the knife out before he recovers.

Rabbits are fun to fight and relatively challenging, since they don't have all this overpower, but wolves are just gamebreaking IMO.

»StaffShock«

Post by »StaffShock« » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:53 am

Sorry about that, I edited my first post. You need to jump from a distance, still downwind.

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:54 am

Skyrage wrote: A knife against them isn't much better than being unarmed. That throat slash thing while jumping over them doesn't work for squat and trust me, I've spent lots of time to make it work. As far as I'm concerned such technique doesn't exist at all.
Trust me, it exists :p

Skyrage

Post by Skyrage » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:44 am

Details, my good man, details...how do you actually execute it then?

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:51 am

Jump, land behind the wolf and.. slit their throat before they turn around.

»StaffShock«

Post by »StaffShock« » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:33 pm

That also works unarmed or with a sword. Too bad the staff doesn't have some sort of creative instant kill. It'd be pretty funny. Maybe you could take the staff in both hands, put it in front of the guy, and then break it in two across his neck. Then you'd have 2 staves.:D

EDIT: Ok, so that I don't need to explain this, (very sketchily by the way,:p) I'm posting a movie of beating the three-wolf level in the campaign with knife stealth kills only. There's a watermark because I'm too cheap to buy the recorder, and the framerate's crap, but I think you'll get the picture. This'll be posted on the first post for anyone who hasn't seen the topic yet as well.
Here it is.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:29 pm

Wow, another file that has a strange codec which only VLC can handle out of the box.

»StaffShock«

Post by »StaffShock« » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:46 pm

Ah, I love VLC. There's nothing I can't play with it.

Also, can you see what's happening? The water mark mixed with the bad quality makes it almost impossible.

Eric
Support Ninja Master

Post by Eric » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:26 pm

wow, very well done. windows quicktime played it (was the default so i didn't bother telling the computer to use VLC)

watermark was annoying at first but i got used to it fast, maybe knowing that level so well helped :).

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:21 am

QuickTime (Mac) can play it.. it's just an mpeg4.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:13 am

I realized Quicktime is able to play it as well when I deinstalled my old qt player and installed a new version. Thanks anyway.

MPEG4... whatever. Aren't there enough codecs out there already? Reinventing the wheel again? *sighs*

»StaffShock«

Post by »StaffShock« » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:22 pm

@rudel: Thanks for the compliment, expecially coming from someone who's been here a lot longer than me. :D

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:36 pm

MPEG4 is not exactly exotic is it?