Map Pack (3 Maps)

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
»StaffShock«

Map Pack (3 Maps)

Post by »StaffShock« » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:46 pm

I made three maps that I'm putting into a pack, (hence map pack :p)

The first one is Floating Fortress, which I've put out before.

The second is The Arena, a crazy fighting map with heavy weapons.

And the third is The Ladder, which I put in because I saw how everyone liked Silb's jumping maps. Note: The Ladder wasn't inspired by Silb's campaign, just didn't think you'd like it.

The names are kinda weird, so look at the maps before you put them in.

Here it is!

EDIT: Link updated, I changed some things in the arena, including the spawn point.

EDIT X2: I changed some more things, including skyboxes in ladder and fortress. The map is now fortress since it's supported by the tower you supposedly climb up to get to it.
Last edited by »StaffShock« on Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:41 pm

Oh man I really love the ladder!

There should totaly be maps like this in Lugaru from now on! I dunno why, but this level really got me, I liked it alot. :P
This map is probably one of the greatest platformers Lugaru has ever seen. It's what Silb's campaign and David's training levels should have had but didn't. (Imagine actually climbing up that tower ruins, it would be really awesome!) I must say I'm shocked that someone could create such a thing, no lag, great enemy placement and fun as hell jumping. Good Work!

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:14 pm

Uhm… Nice maps, I've only tried floating fortress so far, and in it, I ended up carelessly attracting the attention of a wolf, which I wasn't ready for, and ended up kicked with a sharp-clawed foot into the wall, just like I used my staff to whack a bunny into the other wall, oh, and head first, too, man that must've hurt… It sounded like it did, too (Crunch crush crumple, something like the "not just knocked-out now" with knife, sound) :twisted:

I tried to get a screenshot, but that didn't work out so well

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:34 pm

Ok arena and floating fortress.

One of the things I liked about floating fortress, was the ability to peer down to the ground without catching an eyeful of sky box. The most satifying thing you could do in these games is to look down as you send your enemy down to his unrightful doom, unfortunately most designers place the platform way up in the sky or just so high, you just can't make out the dude smack the dirt (silb had also designed his ruins level so you could see them fall, nice).

Arena was pretty fun too, it was there where you'd realize that that bunny kick (that's right, the bunny kick ;)) was all that it's cracked up to be, and it'd be a good time to learn it, now. Before I started using the rabbit kick, it was clear that there was absolutely no way to beat that level without hitting "h" a bunch of times.
But was all that stuff nessecary? :P You gave the computer all these pathways when there was really no need for it, they'd either all spot you right from the start, or the last one would continue to stare at the wall. And, what about the use of platforms? It was all like "I'm in a box! Oh wait... now that I zoom out, it is clear that I'm really in a very beautifully laid out oragami flower!" :lol:

Like others, you show alot of talent, the next thing is for all of us to learn how to create dialogs and mission strings (starting with the arena challenge, breaking out and climbing up the Ice tower, and then finally killing the master bunny on floating arena would be a nice 3-4 level put together, and you already have all the maps too!)

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:48 pm

I just beat all of them. Not bad. :) Ladder was my favorite. Jumping puzzles are cool.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:40 am

Oh you know what would be an awesome idea?

The Official Lugaru 2 Expansion Pack

Ya that's right! Instead of David having to work his tail off to make Lugaru full of content by the time he reaches the deadline, he could just create an expansion pack. All he'd have to do is the create the engine and then put in the little prelude that he could make with the time he has left until the launch. Then, since the game is all released and stuff, he could spend the rest of his time (however long he decides it would take) to create the actual content of Lugaru on his own free time! That way, people won't spaz out if the game isn't done yet (like how there wasn't enough time to create the real ending to Lugaru), and David could take some time off from Lugaru and not be so stressed out. When he feels that he's done, he could submit the rest of the game.

So ya, instead of just creating a fixed due date, release the game first, and then finish everything you couldn't before. We could wait as long as it'd take since we'd be so busy playing this game that David could spend as much time as he wanted on this. Huh, this just sounds like releasing beta versions of the game, did Lugaru have beta versions that people could play? Wasn't Nuky a beta tester (among others)?

Eric
Support Ninja Master

Post by Eric » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:16 am

ummm...no (in regards to basically everything yous aid, excpet the beta testing thing at the end which I am not sure about)

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:38 am

Ya I thought as much...

At first I was all like 'yeah'! But then after I got to the last paragraph thingy my enthusiasm vanished and I realized how stupid that idea was (tried to change the topic after rewriting that sentence a bunch), instead of deleting it I posted, didn't want my time go to waste (though I think it did anyways).

By the way, what does David use to create these levels? Does he go through the same thing, or does he use a different program that's part of the source code (or something)? I thought it'd be wierd if he did the same thing as us (the map makers in general) but then, Silb was able to create a game that used everything that the campaign had used (just as complicated maps).

Eric
Support Ninja Master

Post by Eric » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:02 am

Silb had to work off of the maps created by David. Although he did incredible things considering his limitations.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:40 am

Yeah, I also played arena and ladder, and I think ladder is my favourite, too.

I found that in arena I couldn't get the frame-rate high enough to do a flip and rabbit kick soon enough, and I couldn't get far enough away, either so… erm, I haven't beaten arena yet :D

»StaffShock«

Post by »StaffShock« » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:37 am

I was originally going to make arena a kind of fly to your death thing with some extra thingies sticking out, (hence the flower.:p) and I think that's why the framerate is so bad there, because there are three floors. Try turning off decals when you play the arena, and download the updated map pack since I deleted some things and changed the spawn point to make it easier.

Thanks for all the compliments! I had no idea the ladder was this good! I just made it as a fun little platform map, I'm glad you guys like these all so much.

@Zantalos: I just like making maps realistic, even if players can't appreciate half of it for the most part. Try looking at the path in floating fortress, the white patrolling wolf going around the largest platform has an interesting path as well.:wink:

Also, that sounds like a great campaign idea. If I ever get the hang of dialogue, I'll just need to find out how to estimate the dots that show where you are on the map, since you need to do the coordinates by hand. Hm...

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:54 am

Go ahead! If my other explanations about dialogue edition were too obscure, I can try to write a tutorial with an example. And you don't have to use much dialogue if you don't want to.

I think all three levels are genuinely good, but my first reaction was to stand horrified at the sheer quantity of fires, "cool" and "tunnel"-type objects and intersections that are not really necessary (they really cripple the FPS) :?

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:02 am

How about a screencast? :) That would rule.

»StaffShock«

Post by »StaffShock« » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:41 pm

Yeah, I think that fires also make it a little too easy, since the enemies are all so stupid. However, I sent the wolf's waypoints right through the fire, and it went around it. Not that stupid...:wink:

I didn't know that cool was all that bad for the framerate. I was trying to get a little variation, but you can tell that near the end I got bored.:lol: I meant for the wolf thing at the top to be a kind of face-off, like a boss. However, that called for some dialogue, which resulted with the expected effect. Imagine, if you will:

Me: Work!
Computer: No! I will freeze Lugaru, and you'll never be able to get out!
Me: Nooooooooo!
Turner: This sucks. Hey, want to get out of here, Ash?
Wolf: Sure. Let's go to iHops! I can't get enough of their pancakes!
Computer: *Freeze*
Wolf: Dang
Turner: Dangit!
Me: This is stupid. *gives up*

@Silb: How can I get a kind of reflection dialogue at the beginning of a level, like when turner says a couple of lines at the beginning of the sentries level in the original campaign, if I didn't make the map in a campaign level? Is there a copy-paste thing I don't know about? (Ya never know, considering that you just found out the control+delete thing...:evil: Could'a used that, heh.) If not, could you give me a little more detailed approach?(I like to thing of myself as good with computers, but I shrink away in fear at the sight of anything that looks even remotely like code.:wink:)

@rudel: What do you mean by screencast? Like, acting?:P

Eric
Support Ninja Master

Post by Eric » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:54 pm

»StaffShock« wrote:Me: Work!
Computer: No! I will freeze Lugaru, and you'll never be able to get out!
Me: Nooooooooo!
Turner: This sucks. Hey, want to get out of here, Ash?
Wolf: Sure. Let's go to iHops! I can't get enough of their pancakes!
Computer: *Freeze*
Wolf: Dang
Turner: Dangit!
Me: This is stupid. *gives up*
P
This made me LOL. Just to let you know I don't think the dialogue in that situation is possible. A combattive maps can only have dialogue at the begining from what I understand.