Android Port

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Corvino

Android Port

Post by Corvino » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:02 pm

I am wondering if it would be possible to port this game to an android application version. It has Linux support, so likely it'd be possible for android. Right?

rodeje25

Re: Android Port

Post by rodeje25 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:01 pm

it could it could but i am not an android dev but i know it could by putting some buttons and movement pads on the screen

edit: that sounds very interesting to do know i want to learn objective c and port i to ios :P

edoantonioco

Post by edoantonioco » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:11 pm

Its open source after all, so anyone could do it, but I read somewhere than the code is a mess (probably just a subjective opinion), so no idea if that would be something easy to do.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:24 am

The game is written in C++, but Android wants you to write apps in Java (the Android SDK).

You could use the NDK in theory, but it's not as simple as just putting a couple of buttons in.

Porting the game to iOS is much easier though since basically, ObjC is a superset of C++, so you can literally just use C++ and wrap everything with the necessary ObjC hooks and whatnot. Still not trivial though -- you'll have to make sure the OpenGL instructions apply to the OpenGL command set on your target phone's spec (OpenGL ES, basically), and you'll have to route button presses to inputs in a sensible way; also, react to common events, like backgrounding or whatever; re-arrange file structure; check sound API integration; take care of the meta files; things like that.

It's serious stuff. Most programmers probably wouldn't say it's fun to do this work, especially considering the code base -- it's not impossible to work with, but certainly hard.

peter2015

Post by peter2015 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:54 am

Hi
Ya Possible , For cross platform.