Incrementing difficulty

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
George the Flea

Incrementing difficulty

Post by George the Flea » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:24 pm

I started a user name on the "easiest" difficulty, since I was getting destroyed handily by anything that moved. Now I've beaten the game on easy, and want to play it on the next difficult setting, but it looks like the only place where you can select difficulty is when you create a new user name.

Does the difficulty automatically increment when you beat the game, or do I need to use another name? It would be cool if it just automatically got harder (or if there was a difficulty selection in the Options), since I would like to keep my score information in one user name so I can feel like I'm making progress. :)

George the Flea

swwarmuth

Post by swwarmuth » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:51 pm

what you can do is edit the difficulty in the config.txt file. it's in the data folder that is within the lugaru folder. just open the file in simpletext (yes, use simpletext, not textedit), then change the line that says

Difficulty(0,1,2) higher=harder:

to whatever you want the difficulty to be

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:17 pm

You can use text edit, you just have to convert to plain text and resave, it will work then without having to repeat.
The difficulty setting in config.txt was used when Lugaru did not have the Set Difficulty option in user creation, I'm not sure it does anything now.

swwarmuth

Post by swwarmuth » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:36 pm

yes, i actually tried it, and i dont think changing it in config.txt does anything.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:45 pm

You have to make a new account to change the difficulty. It would be strange to keep your high scores when you go up in difficulty, because they would no longer apply.

George the Flea

Post by George the Flea » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:40 am

David wrote:You have to make a new account to change the difficulty. It would be strange to keep your high scores when you go up in difficulty, because they would no longer apply.
I suppose, but it would still be nice to be able to beat scores obtained on easy difficulty while on hard. Gives a nice sense of accomplishment.

But whatever. Doesn't really matter, I just wasn't familiar with the way difficulty works in the game.

George the Flea

swwarmuth

Post by swwarmuth » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:01 pm

yeah, i think if someone wants to keep their user through beating the game on successively harder levels, they should. Just make it so that you can't shift downward, like have some warning on the difficulty page saying that you can't move down in difficulty. It'd be fun to see if you could beat your old scores from easy on a harder difficulty

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:35 am

Or just keep track of the high score and what difficulty level it was attained on.

Then it wouldn't matter if users restarted the game w/a different difficulty level.