Using swords and staffs

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Bnej

Using swords and staffs

Post by Bnej » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:57 am

Is it just me or is it just about impossible to hit an enemy with swords or staffs without having them do a counter?

I mean, I always get slash/counter/counter-counter every time I try. I've actually connected maybe 3 times of 100 attempts!

Am I doing something wrong? :?

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:09 am

The sword used to be much too powerful because of its massive damage, so enemies are now very good at dodging and countering it. To use it most effectively, slash them when they are distracted somehow. They are distracted when they are surprised, recovering from a hit, getting up from a fall, being confused by your acrobatics, and so on.

EvolPenguin

Post by EvolPenguin » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:52 pm

If an enemy is on the ground, and you have a staff, lucky you. You can smash them to a pulp.

Alex

Nayr
wicked bad-ass title

Post by Nayr » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:38 pm

I suck at getting enemies with a sword. I just flip over them, then spin-kick them, and steal their sword.

George the Flea

Post by George the Flea » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:38 am

If you have a sword, try standing still holding down the mouse button while you wait for the enemy to get to you. As soon as they're in reach you'll perform a slash attack. Granted, they sometimes jump back, and when you are able to connect you'll only be able to do it successfully one or two times before they figure out your tactics, but if you mix it up with other stuff it can be pretty effective.

George the Flea

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:42 pm

I don't know.. with a realy healthy wolf i can hit them 10 times in a row with the sword, they just leap back and leap forward SLASH.

Bnej

Post by Bnej » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:29 pm

Doing much better with them now thanks.

Berhune

Post by Berhune » Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:02 am

Try running at a tangent to the enemy while holding the mouse button, I can slaughter a field of six bunnies without getting hurt this way. However, I don't know what this flip over them thing is. How do you flip over an enemy?

theblob

Post by theblob » Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:26 pm

Berhune wrote:Try running at a tangent to the enemy while holding the mouse button, I can slaughter a field of six bunnies without getting hurt this way. However, I don't know what this flip over them thing is. How do you flip over an enemy?
have you done the tutorial?? because its all explained in it (jump then press shift to flip)

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:07 am

hehe i havent registered yet, i'm a bit broke, but when i have a knife and see an enemy who has one too, i do this: throw knife, pick knife up out of dead bunny, sheath knife pick up bunny's knife, now i have two knifes(one sheathed one held) next i meet 2 bunnys and i throw knife unsheath knife throw... the only danger with this strategy: DO NOT MISS!! unless you are good at melee ofcourse :lol:

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:44 pm

If you're fighting an enemy with a staff, don't bother trying to hit him while he's standing up, just get in close, let him disarm you, and in turn, disarm him, leaving him helpless on the ground, at which point feel free to break him in half. (works great against wolves!)

Post by Guest » Mon May 02, 2005 10:38 pm

Out of my entire time playing I've actually hit a standing enemy (not including assassinations) about three times with a sword or staff, and I GET hit by them only slightly more. The value I see in them is the killing moves when enemies are down (easiest with the staff, but obviously that breaks). The way I first beat the wolf village and alpha wolf levels were to stand still and let a wolf run at me, at the last second duck and do a sweep kick (seems to catch them off-guard more if you duck at the last second), then try to quickly stab them on the ground. It generally takes ten tries or so, but a single stab kills them and killing them otherwise takes SO long. Also trying to slash them is fruitless because you end up just passing the sword back and forth until one of you falls over. :P Same's basically true for the staff, except since you don't need to duck and be in the perfect spot to attack a grounded enemy it's a load easier to kill them with. Though it's not an instant-kill, if I recall (certainly isn't for wolves). A lot easier than backing up about a million feet and going for a Leg Cannon...

On a slightly different, note, what exactly is the "Touch of Death?" I've recieved it in several ways, all fairly different... including once when I used a knife to kill a fallen wolf (which usually gives you "Slain!"), and once when I kicked a living rabbit off of one of those floating Challenge levels and he slammed into the ground and died.

JLrep

Post by JLrep » Mon May 02, 2005 10:42 pm

(whoops, forgot to log in)

Fournine
.hacker

Post by Fournine » Tue May 03, 2005 12:20 am

"Touch of Death" = massive blunt force trauma induced death, according to my observations over the nearly two years I've been here.

As for myself, I prefer the knife-throwing ninja technique -> run whilst enemy is following, turn around, jump above their heads while flipping, and throw dagger at them from the sky.

For everything else, I try to steal their weapons, run away, drop the pesty things, run from the weapon stash, and take them on hand-to-hand. Suckers can't get to them, and I prefer the Oni-on-speed hand-to-hand anyway.

There's also a bit o' fun in the great "right-click" method, too.

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Wed May 04, 2005 12:03 pm

I deposite all the weapons along the edges of the map too.

Almost flawless way to steal weapons:
Animal run at enemy, lunge and while you are rolling over them press shift-q or whatever your pickup key is.