Wall Jumping

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
ScornofLife

Wall Jumping

Post by ScornofLife » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:18 pm

Hey, recently discovered Lugaru and the two big campaigns here/challenges/random maps. Played around with the map editor but I'm not very talented. I have a question though regarding wall-jumping/hopping.

Lugaru's physics allow for the deliberate use of flipping off walls into other walls in order to flip again. In this way you can get height if the walls are close enough or make sure that you survive any fall if there is a wall nearby. I thought this was really cool when I found out about it playing the tutorial, I expected to go find a challenge where it would be specifically used.

From my experiences with Lugaru this isn't the case, in the 3 campaigns I've played it's never served to get me anywhere but it has saved me. The last level of Temple at the Ice Cave is the best example. I was fighting the two rabbits at the intersection of all those walls and got knocked off. Before reaching the bottom of the wall I was able to start a decent wall flip and got all the way back up and proceeded to beat the level. There's a level in Empire at the sky palace with all the blocks, I saw it and thought something along the lines of "finally." Turns out those blocks just made up the hallway and are hollow, I flipped up to the top of one and fell in, had to cheat to get out.

This thing works in any two walls if they're close enough and less than 90 degrees. If they are parallel it's easiest but you can do it with corners too and it looks a lot cooler. I'm sure others have experimented with this before but I didn't find anything here, have people tried making maps where this is part of the progression? Either going up or making sure you survive a huge fall? I'm sure it'll show up in some way for Overgrowth. Just wondering if there are any maps out there that try to use this to it's potential, sometime if I have plenty of free time I could try making one but thought I should ask here first.

Count Roland

Re: Wall Jumping

Post by Count Roland » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:48 pm

I've actually designed a ridiculous large amount of levels utilizing the wall jumping thing cause it seems to be the least used but also one of my favorite features, I might send you a few of those levels if I ever transfer them to my new computer. anyway glad to see a fellow wall jump lover. also you can get it working with even more walls than 2 I think I managed five once.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:06 am

Ooh! Ooh! May I have some too, please? O=

Jendraz

Post by Jendraz » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:54 pm

ScornofLife wrote: The last level of Temple at the Ice Cave is the best example. I was fighting the two rabbits at the intersection of all those walls and got knocked off. Before reaching the bottom of the wall I was able to start a decent wall flip and got all the way back up and proceeded to beat the level.
That's pretty sweet :)

I've used it to similar effect as well, in Temple at least. While making Empire I tried to add a lot of jumping, but never considered the wall flips. I guess I just didn't consider them that challenging. Now though, I wish I had made it necessary in one of the last Sky Palace levels. Instead of jumping up in a step wise manner, there should be a chimney of sorts you have to ascend, with the abyss below you.

Ah well :/

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:25 pm

Yeah, Ice Cave was genius. It was the best feeling ever to get knocked off but still manage to climb back up and get sweet revenge.

resin

Post by resin » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:00 am

I just finished reading a RPS article on "verticality", before looking at this thread:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/09 ... #more-3276

Its in relation to a game called Damnation which looks okay. It would be a lot cooler with Rabbits.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:37 am

That does look well thought trough... And if that'd be implemented into at least a few lugartoo levels, that'd be epic as hell and heaven combined into a mega-zord turner!

ScornofLife

Post by ScornofLife » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:14 pm

Yeah, the wall jumping system is pretty sweet and I for one would sure like to see more of it and get better at it. Haven't tried it with more than 3 but it could probably be done with tons if you have the angles right. The wall flips thing can be somewhat challenging depending on how high the stakes are.

If the end of the level is up a huge chimney for example and if you mess up you die(or at least fall a long ways) Likewise if you distance the walls the right distance apart it gets harder, timing is more of an issue and you have to be patient as you're gaining less height per "jump" plus each jump takes longer, it could take awhile to get up. When you're doing it at an angle so you're side flipping instead of just back/front flipping also makes it harder as you're momentum can actually take you away from your hopping surface.

So I'll get to work on trying to actually make some maps and hoping for someone else to make a map I/we could play/practice on.

Damnation looks pretty cool, might get it.

Vetrox

Post by Vetrox » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:31 pm

I tried the editor a few days ago, not so user friendly :)

Anyway, I came up with a couple of levels which might interest you, if only for the platforming. It's very apparent the AI wasn't made for these kinds of environments though, good luck killing them before they do it themselves.

The first level, originally named vetrox1: http://willhostforfood.com/access.php?fileid=36793
After some said the level was too easy I mixed the enemies around some... now I almost can't beat it myself. The only hard part of the platforming is the last part, a nasty drop...

The second one, vetrox2: http://willhostforfood.com/access.php?fileid=36791
On this level the platforming is kicked up a notch. Added some obstacles so the enemies doesn't fall down as easily. Hint: follow the trees!

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:48 am

Actualy theres a Specal trick you must follow for ledges.
if you look at some of Davids levels (Like Map 2) theres a yellow line that gose around some parts.
I used those to stop NPCs from Commiting Bunny suisides off high places.