Dudeman

Re: Dialogues

Post by Dudeman » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:07 pm

ah, dont we all love the fun key.

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:29 am

Lotus Wolf, your dialogue file works fine on my computer, so I guess dialogues are buggy in your version of Lugaru. Vib Rib and others had the same problem. :(

If you want to edit dialogues with a hex editor, see here.

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:06 pm

thanks, i'll try it.

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:20 pm

ok, its not working, and i tried the hex editing trick to fix. i had a thought though: you have an older version of lugaru, correct? couldn't you pack it, and upload it? that would allow people to use the dialogues. because apparently, your copy of lugaru works for it, and ours don't... anyway, would you consider this?

Lotus Wolf

Re: Dialogues/Campaigns

Post by Lotus Wolf » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:21 pm

ok, putting dialogues aside for the moment; im going ahead with map design. however, i have found something odd: there seems to be a limit to how many objects i can place in the maps. is this a glitch, or is there really a limit? because it severely hinders the progress i make toward the levels i have in mind... also, some of the new models i am thinking of incorporating in the maps become intangible, even though i have thoroughly tested them in original levels... oh, im using start1 with everything deleted as a base for the current level, maybe thats it? :? :|

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:52 pm

There is a limit, yes.

About the intangible objects, try saving the map and then reloading it.

I never used start1 for my levels - I always used a challenge, can't remember which one though :/

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:07 pm

rudel_ic wrote:There is a limit, yes.
Damn... time to whip out the ol' hex editor and see if we can get around that...
rudel_ic wrote:About the intangible objects, try saving the map and then reloading it.
i hadn't thought of that... *hits head* silly me...
rudel_ic wrote:I never used start1 for my levels - I always used a challenge, can't remember which one though :/
i probable should use challenge levels, but i was thinking of the dialogues i could hex edit that were already in the map... but that hasn't worked for me either... :?

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:44 pm

Lotus Wolf wrote: but that hasn't worked for me either... :?
Well, at least replacing text should work in any case..

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:52 pm

nice :lol:

did you do that with a hex editor? and i think the problems with dialogues is actually the windows version. because silb's version (the mac version i think) works with dialogues, and the windows users just cant get it to work... i dont know about jendraz' version but it worked for him too, i dont know what version he uses, but it worked for him... anyway, dialogues remain a problem.

i've gotten a rough layout of the storyline for my campaign typed up, and i'm going to start typing a script. if i can get dialogues to work, it should be a great story :D , and if i can't... :(

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:29 pm

Hex-editing dialogues has got to work, the files are the same on Mac and PC. It does require a lot of patience though. Begin by editing the text first without changing the length, then graduate to changing string lengths, sound and color, etc; swapping camera angles comes last. See the link I posted above.

If you want, you can also send me your maps with a precise script (who says what to whom, triggered when, anything about camera angles/sounds/colors/whatever) and I will create the dialogue; it only takes five minutes.

Jendraz

Post by Jendraz » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:31 pm

Lotus Wolf wrote:and i think the problems with dialogues is actually the windows version. because silb's version (the mac version i think) works with dialogues, and the windows users just cant get it to work... i dont know about jendraz' version but it worked for him too, i dont know what version he uses, but it worked for him... anyway, dialogues remain a problem.
I have a Mac too. I vaguely remember Silb saying something about Macs working...and maybe Windows not? Is this right Silb?