Dialogues/Campaigns

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Lotus Wolf

Dialogues/Campaigns

Post by Lotus Wolf » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:35 pm

YES i have looked at the wiki's and the other threads here about this... i get how to make the dialogue file in "Dialogues" but from there i cant get anything to work. I have tried "dialogue n yourdialogue (no txt)" and "dialogue yourdialogue n" neither work for me... also, i have trouble with hotspots... anyway, help would be nice. :?
Last edited by Lotus Wolf on Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

invertin

Re: Dialogues

Post by invertin » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:12 pm

I think the only person who actually understands Dialogues is Silb, and he's dissapeared... Sorry.

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:17 pm

Jendraz offered some help when i was thinking about it a while back... maybe him too? but he's been gone for a little while... :? still dicking around with it, maybe i'll figure it out... :|

Derakon

Post by Derakon » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:27 pm

Usually when I'm trying to figure something out I find an example that does what I want, steal it, and modify it until the content is right. This is useful because you start from a known-good sample, and if you break things, you know exactly what change caused the problem.

So open up Silb's levels and find a dialogue that does similar things to what you want, and see if you can take it from there.

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:07 pm

thats the thing, my friend, you can't do that... the dialogue is coded into the level. and you can't un-code it, or find it to change it... :?

Jendraz

Post by Jendraz » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:04 am

Just checking in. I've been real busy with school lately and will be the rest of this week. Besides following the wiki, here are a few things I can think of:

Start with one of David's dialogues and change it from there. Be careful about keeping it in the correct format. Don't forget the Box # at the top.

Stay away from the numbers 10 and 13. Don't have lines of 10/13 and don't have dialogues with 10-13 boxes

If you implement the dialogue correctly the level should crash and the screen turns all red. While this is happening access the console and save the level, then restart the game and it should work.

Make backups for your levels. Because **** happens.

Follow the wiki.

If you're still having trouble when I have more time this weekend I'll try and help some more. The more specifics you give the better I can help. Good luck!

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:44 am

thanks i didn't know about no 10-13 dialogue boxes, i just thought it was the number of characters. but thats not the problem. I make a backup of the map before i put the dialogue into it. I make the dialogue in plain text format (i'm pretty sure), and then i go into the map, open the console after i get them positioned right, type: "dialogue n yourdialogue" this usually puts me in the directing mode, but sometimes it just skips directing and puts the camara behind the other person without doing any dialogue.anyway, when i get into directing mode, the text does not show up, and neither do the names, but i just do the camera angles and stuff without the text, then when i'm done, it will either play the dialogue, or nothing will happen, when it plays the dialogue and i save it, when i load it again the whole game crashes, and when it does nothing, when i try to load the map it crashes in a diffrent way, and shows a send/dont send error report messege. the very first dialogue im trying to impliment is like this:
Dialogue boxes: 3

Box 1:
Color: 0.0 0.0 0.1
Name: Marcus
Text: Hey, Grendal!#
Sound: 1

Box 2:
Color: 0.0 0.2 0.0
Name: Grendal
Text: Sherogi wants to see you.
Sound: 5

Box 3:
Color: 0.0 0.0 0.1
Name: Marcus
Text: Thank’s Grendal.
Sound: 2
Maybe in doing that wrong but i dont think so... anyway i'm also attaching the .txt file so it can be examined as well.
Attachments
lotus1.txt
Dialogue
(300 Bytes) Downloaded 393 times

Jendraz

Post by Jendraz » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:00 am

Yea that looks fine. I don't know why it wouldn't work. The only thing I can think of is - make sure there are no extra spaces at the end of the file. What I mean is..delete any invisible spaces/lines that may be at the end of the file. If that doesn't work then I'm not sure.

edit: Are you typing "n" or an actual number when you implement the dialogue?

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:41 am

im typing an actual number, like 11 21 31 41 51 and so on, like in the wiki.

the extra spaces might be the problem, but maybe not, i remember deleting all extra spaces in this one..

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:11 pm

i still have nothing... but it hit me that i am using a laptop, and therefor have no numpad. would this be a problem, since i would not be able to position the heads in a conversation, thereby making it a conversation with no participants? this might be the problem...

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:19 pm

Hold down the Fn key and look for miniature numbers in the corner of some of the keys on your keyboard. If you press those keys while holding down Fn, it'll act like a numpad, with the same key arrangement and everything. For me, the keys are J for 1, K for 2, L for 3, 7 for 7, U for 4, etc.

If your laptop doesn't have a Fn key in the corner, then we have a problem.

Jendraz

Post by Jendraz » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:34 pm

Lotus Wolf wrote:i still have nothing... but it hit me that i am using a laptop, and therefor have no numpad. would this be a problem, since i would not be able to position the heads in a conversation, thereby making it a conversation with no participants? this might be the problem...
I didn't use a numpad for my campaign. I wasn't able to position the heads, it was just kind of random. So that's not the problem.

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:01 pm

BunnyWithStick wrote:Hold down the Fn key and look for miniature numbers in the corner of some of the keys on your keyboard. If you press those keys while holding down Fn, it'll act like a numpad, with the same key arrangement and everything. For me, the keys are J for 1, K for 2, L for 3, 7 for 7, U for 4, etc.

If your laptop doesn't have a Fn key in the corner, then we have a problem.
Do you have a Toshiba? Cause i have the same key-layout as that, and yes i have an Fn key. i tried it out and it does work for positioning the heads, but its not the problem, like Jendraz said.

looking at the wiki, all that stuff about hex-editing the map when it crashes after implementing dialogue... i am supposed to actually do that? cause i tried it too a while back and it didn't seem to work. i used a backup of the exact map without dialogue, and the same map, with the dialogue, and it still didn't work, but maybe i did it wrong...

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:00 am

It's a mac…

Anger level… Rising…

Must crush… Infidel…

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:46 am

*raises hands* sorry to offend you... *lowers hands*

i need the functionality of windows for school... macs are all good and well, but there are some things they can't do that windows does... anyway, lets not start a feud over computer preferences!