Tannim's Mini Campaign - Updated 8/5/09

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
tannim

Re: Tannim's Mini Campaign - Updated 8/5/09

Post by tannim » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:28 pm

They were indeed just a bunch of maps I made. I called it a mini campaign because it couldn't really be called a campaign do to no dialogue and such.

As to level design. I wanted to try something new instead of standard boring stuff. Many levels were so SHORT you didn't even get to wander around and enjoy the scenery. A few thwacks and poof, on to the next. That got boring quick. No skill to get around most levels required. I admit that platform jumping is annoying in 3D games and is the usual skill required, so I tried to avoid some of that with unusual design. Work or not, it was fun but frustrating.

I loved cave maze, but yes, view distance was shortened do to... I have no idea. It seems to start on that view distance and I just left it at what it was. As far as I know view distance has a default and isn't saved between levels.

It was amusing turning the engine upside down to do things, or at least the trees. Be happy I didn't include Hard Climber : ) How was Collapsed Valley with the trees constantly blocking your view? Now THAT'S a forest!

3D maze wasn't finished, I just ran out of objects that could be placed. It was huge and fairly frustrating anyway to find the enemies in. would be less so with more enemies to bop.

I greatly enjoy Spiral Stair's design, though again, too few enemies available to fill it.

Block Ruins was another favorite of mine :P

Multi-level... was an experiment. It wasn't very fun to play through despite there being a variety of designs in it. I shouldn't have used the chimney's to go up levels especially. A simple ramp would have been a better choice. The enemy at the end is overpowered to a degree(not as bad as Evil Twin), and even I have never played through it fully fairly.

I left out a very simple map called Fire Maze, which was just a maze made out of fire fields. It worked ok, but was pretty easy.

Make more levels? I started to make a Cave Maze 2, but I keep hitting clipping errors that ruin it. It's such a pain in the ass to make levels in that game with having to move Turner around and TRY to position them correctly :/

I'm glad you liked and took the time to actually say something about it.

ChosenOne

Post by ChosenOne » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:14 pm

Haha, yeah I really enjoyed the crazy levels. I may have to steal your fallen tree forest idea. Pretty neat. Though I may use partially transparent foliage graphics with little holes throughout so you can at least see decently through it. I'm a graphics nerd so I can do that.

Yep I'd say you achieved your goals of breaking the Lugaru level mold! I agree, most Lugaru levels we play feel like rehash, but the engine is so limited it's understandable. The inverted trees were a nifty surprise. Reminded me of Avatar a little.

Can you not save a map's ViewDistance . . . hmm I thought you could. Will have to test that soon.

And no problem on the feedback. Making Lugaru levels is a real chore. Any decent level is a significant accomplishment. Did you not have Rudel's Blender script system set up? Makes it a lot easier. And he recently improved them, too. They're almost perfectly accurate now (as far as placement).

tannim

Post by tannim » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:25 pm

The blender import scripts did not exist when I made the maps. I made the maps with pure Lugaru map editor every one.

The engine is limited, but the limits also helped make it easier to map for as there weren't thousands of options :} If there had been some more objects to be added that could have been fun too. I started to make an old tank with cannon that had just been fired (long barrel with small flame at the end) and while it looked ok there wasn't much else I could do with it.

You are free to steal the sideways tree technique. It was pretty awesome when I first found that in Multi-Level and I still enjoy it. Partial transparency sounds good, but getting it to look right may be a challenge. I suggest applying a leaf shape pattern to it instead of just putting dots. Maybe that'll make it look better

tannim

Post by tannim » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:23 pm

Just bumping this back to the front page so it's not lost to obscurity. Any chance of getting this stickied or put on the lugaru mods page?

larry21

Post by larry21 » Mon May 30, 2011 6:21 pm

New user here, but not new to lugaru. Been lurking around mostly. Anyways, great maps tannim. However I never got the chance to try out the original Evil Twin map. anyone still have have it?

tannim

Post by tannim » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:56 am

THIS IS NOT A ZIP FILE!

RENAME THE FILE to EVILTWIN WITH NO EXTENSION

THIS IS NOT AN ****ING ZIP FILE!

So you want the original? Well, I managed to find a copy. Good luck!

Keep in mind this bastard survived 10 spine crushers and enough leg cannons to get the point value for one down to 0(which is about 70 to 80) along with countless strong hits, reversals, "Nice Aims" and whatever else I threw at him. The only real way I found to kill him was to press F in debug mode and set myself on fire(not counting the press i to make his head explode trick)

If you want DBZ in Lugaru, try this guy out out. Over time his attacks do get weaker though.
Attachments
EvilTwinOriginal.zip
The original evil twin, he's nearly immortal
(2.22 KiB) Downloaded 874 times

Akien

Post by Akien » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:49 pm

Here's an updated version of Tannim's Mini Campaign to work with Lugaru 1.1. The only change is fixing the clothes paths so that they are loaded properly.
Attachments
TannimsMiniCampaign.zip
(47.28 KiB) Downloaded 767 times