Lugaru: Reluctant Assassin

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Armored Wolf

Re: Lugaru: Reluctant Assassin

Post by Armored Wolf » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:26 pm

Lotus Wolf wrote:There's talk of a sequel. :wink:

Edit, btw what didn't you like about the end?
Vincent: You're dead now. Hooray.
The End

...I don't know, it just seemed anticlimatic. Especially because TOkugawa or whatever wasn't really a very big villian. He kind of just popped in after Kreg and Co. was murdered.

And sequels? Yayz!

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:46 pm

Armored Wolf wrote:I don't know, it just seemed anticlimatic. Especially because TOkugawa or whatever wasn't really a very big villian. He kind of just popped in after Kreg and Co. was murdered.
I realize this, but the sequel will be based on that idea. (Tokugawa was always described as "the imperialist leader". However, he was just the leader of the force sent to Lugaru.)

Armored Wolf

Post by Armored Wolf » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:16 pm

Lotus Wolf wrote:
Armored Wolf wrote:I don't know, it just seemed anticlimatic. Especially because TOkugawa or whatever wasn't really a very big villian. He kind of just popped in after Kreg and Co. was murdered.
I realize this, but the sequel will be based on that idea. (Tokugawa was always described as "the imperialist leader". However, he was just the leader of the force sent to Lugaru.)
Interesting. However, it would have been better if Tokugawa was just a bigger villian, rather than Vincent blaming him for the deaths of his teammates, with TOkugawa didn't really do it. Anyway, I'm not saying anything I haven't said before. Great campaign for increasing skillage, I'm playing again on Difficult (got my ass kicked before on Difficult, had to beat it on Easier first.)

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:28 pm

In Vincent's mind, if the imperialists hadn't come in and began trying to force a tyrannical rule then his friends wouldn't have died, either way, it makes for a good sequel.

Armored Wolf

Post by Armored Wolf » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:08 pm

Lotus Wolf wrote:In Vincent's mind, if the imperialists hadn't come in and began trying to force a tyrannical rule then his friends wouldn't have died, either way, it makes for a good sequel.
Interesting. Here's hoping the sequel has more armed combat.

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:43 pm

I've made two weapons exclusively for this. Rest assured, you'll be using them a lot.

Armored Wolf

Post by Armored Wolf » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:23 pm

Lotus Wolf wrote:I've made two weapons exclusively for this. Rest assured, you'll be using them a lot.
I wait eagerly. Make you sure you get the campaign into Lugaru Downloader somehow (talk to Matoo, I guess) because I'm a lazy and won't switch it myself.

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:19 pm

I'll work on it, I have to get through all my work first...

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:18 am

Pulling this back out of the third page.

Sandurz

Post by Sandurz » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:23 am

I wonder why it's not stickied.

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:25 am

As do I.

ChosenOne

Post by ChosenOne » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:27 pm

Lotus Wolf wrote:Pulling this back out of the third page.
Does this mean a sequel is imminent?

I think I'll play Reluctant Assassin I then.

Will return with feedback once beaten.

ChosenOne

Post by ChosenOne » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:39 am

Got through it.

Great job!

Yes, I used some console commands to beat it. I wasn't patient enough to legally beat each level, though I could have. . . I think. I forgot about difficulty. Turns out I played on "0", which is the easiest/lowest difficulty isn't it.

Your campaign contains the best and most competent level design I've seen in any other mod. Objects are placed with care and there's an actual sense of design evident in your work.

IMO an uneven emphasis was placed on combat. Level after level of maximum clusters of enemies. SHIFT+I came in handy a number of times, hehe. But only after I tried hard a few times at least. Though, I did gain an increased understanding of combat in Lugaru. You really pushed the boundaries of the combat engine due to all the group fights.

How did you do the smooth level map transitions? Where the map simply repopulated with enemies right before your eyes with barely any load time? That was pretty slick. Though it put me right in the middle of the next wave a few times. I run around a lot - you never know where a player like me will be when I beat the level.

Did you mean to leave debug on? I suppose you could've also made the default difficulty 1. Using config file.

I'm surprised nobody has yet thought to overwrite the 14 challenges with new ones. My mod will include this. Each challenge will be derived from key levels from the campaign, but not identical to the campaign.

And like someone said, the end is a bit sudden and underwhelming. I made the last boss fight interesting by using slo-mo. I spiced up a few combat levels by upping my speed to 2.0, using slo-mo so the game ran in slo-mo while I seem unaffected, and did punching run-bys on the enemies. The ragdoll physics never cease to amuse.

The story held together well, too.

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:06 pm

Glad you liked it, the level transition is an effect you can add while setting the various game settings for certain levels. Do a little research and you'll find the tutorial for it. I'm a hardcore player, so I really stress the fighting in my mods; it's got to be intense, and there's almost always several ways to use your surroundings. One guy complained about not being able to use surroundings, but you can always for example; do a wall kick off a tree. I made a custom challenge pack a year or so back, and I have several unreleased campaigns underway with custom challenges, loosely based on the storyline, included. It's the way to go for a quality mod, but as I said in my first post, I made this in three days.

ChosenOne

Post by ChosenOne » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:47 pm

Are you saying a quality mod should relate to or expand on the original storyline?

More mods in the works, eh? What percentage complete are they?

Since you love maximizing the combat challenge, what could you do with a few more little rabbit friends to play with??