Ancestral Tales Campaign

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
kehaar

Ancestral Tales Campaign

Post by kehaar » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:55 pm

"Long ago, in our grandmothers' grandmothers' time, before the tribes could speak..."

Even as Turner seeks revenge for the killing of his family, a danger from the forgotten past threatens the future of all the races.

But some remember the old tales, and a new generation will rise to carry on the fight.

Hi Everyone,

Here's another campaign for ya.
60 levels, foxes, rabbits & wolves, men, women and kids...

It throws you right into some hard fights, since I figure anyone playing it has made it through a few other tough-to-ridiculously-hard campaigns.

I think the story-dorks out there will appreciate it, and hopefully the fights will keep everyone else interested, too.

It comes with a two part campaign text, 'cause the story exceeds the 50 level maximum.
who knew? The Readme explains how to switch 'em up manually if you don't have Matto's Mod Manager.

There's sometimes a glitch in the very first map ("Prologue") where your hero's skin sometimes doesn't load, but I don't think it'll wreck the story... just keep playing, all will be revealed.

Let me know what you think.

--Kehaar

Here's the link:
Official Lugaru Mods page
(A.Tales is now on the list)

Note: This mod (campaign, maps and custom textures) is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution - Share Alike license, version 4.0 International (CC-BY-SA 4.0, https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/)
Attributions for the campaign can be made to Kehaar.
Thanks to Lotus Wolf and Stromboli for the weapons mods, and thanks to the modder (I can't seem to find) for the Fox skin-- Claire couldn't exist without you.
And thanks to David for making the game that brought us all here, of course. :wink:
Last edited by kehaar on Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:58 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Count Roland

Re: Ancestral Tales Campaign!

Post by Count Roland » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:45 am

hey nice, download works fine I'm considering rolandifying the weapon textures if I can find the time or the effort. was really surprised to see my name in the thanks considering the very limited amount of help I gave (next to none) also my laptop's a 10.4.10 ibook g4 ( I think) just random reference stuffness. nice campaign now I have something to do.

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:25 am

thanks, Count, hope you enjoy it. Tell me how the campaigns load. Gorey ftw!

uhm... "rolandifying"?

what is it?

... will you be using the Patent Rolandic Sequencer?

(it's fun to type using the celebrtory "i'm finshed" whisky+ginger ale+lime addendum method, pat.pend.)

That said, I'd love a sword design that looks like the knife-- like a rabbit's ear, almost. Something a rabbit might make because it was the right or beautiful shape for a tool, even if you might have to kill someone with it some day. EDIT: YAY, THE SWORD'S IN IT! IT'S THE "Machete" made by Stromboli, and it looks great in-game!

Thanks again to Lotus Wolf for the lovely "Talon" knife, btw.
Last edited by kehaar on Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:32 am

Oh man, can't wait to try this!

John

Post by John » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:43 am

Sweet!

matto1990

Post by matto1990 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:55 am

Nice! Sounds really cool. Going to have a play now.

Would you like me to add it to my Lugaru Downloader application? This would mean that people could install it by just pressing a button rather than having to mess about with changing files about and things like that. It's up to you, but I'd love to add it in :)

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:45 am

Matto, yeah, that would be very cool.

I'd like to wait 'til I hear back from players to make sure it all works, and I will rebuild that first map if it doesn't load the skin consistently. :?

matto1990

Post by matto1990 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:47 am

kehaar wrote:Matto, yeah, that would be very cool.

I'd like to wait 'til I hear back from players to make sure it all works, and I will rebuild that first map if it doesn't load the skin consistently. :?
Ok. I'm going to make a change to the program so it supports multi part campaigns like yours. I'll see when I get it done and I'll make sure I include any updates you've made.

ilkondom

Post by ilkondom » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:46 pm

Very great map editin i liked the house desingth and the casstle with the broken bridge and spikes out of the ground .And almost story that bind together with the rabits foot.Great Campign you should do more and why you don't use bager or bear or lizard too i think to have fox,rabit,wolf,bear,lizzard,bager woud be awessome.
And Sorry for my english i work on it.
I also liked the tunel level.

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:08 pm

Thanks, glad you liked it. :D

I think I'm going to wait for Overgrowth to come out before I start another campaign, though.
I might make some challenge levels with some "outtakes"-- maps I didn't use because they didn't fit the story...

I do agree the Wolf model makes a fine platform for a lot of cool anthro-animals like badgers and bears. You'd have to mod one to remove the ears for a lizard, but hey, why not?

Speaking of Wolf skins, is anyone having loading problems with Claire's skin and clothes in the Prologue level?

Richie Rabbit

Post by Richie Rabbit » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:31 pm

This campaign is so much fun! kehaar you did a really good job

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:44 pm

Readme -3 wrote:I've found that killing the first person you come across really helps smooth the day along-- just like in real life!

Just kidding.

heh.

esplode ther hed.

heh,heh,heh.
Hahahaha :lol:

Great campaign, kehaar. (I mean, so far it's great! I haven't finished :) ) I'm happy you gave the time make a campaign! It's awesome! I feel encouraged to try once again... thank you!

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:57 pm

Thanks, it was fun to make, even with having to redo maps due to bugs.

any thoughts on the bosses? too easy? there seems to be a tipping point in setting damage resistance where you go over into the "takes 50 hard hits and keeps getting up" realm, even playing on "easy" setting.

I adjusted 'em so I could beat them every 8th try or so on "easy".... but I don't know where I place on the low-to-medium skill spectrum, so tell me what you think.

I kinda wanted to not frustrate the low skill players, but I might have just been burnt out. ( when i first played "Lugaru Empire" I think I replayed the "Assassin fights 3 wolves in the snow after they kill his girlfriend" level about 30 times until I beat it on easy, but now I've played so many hours of fights that it's just annoying, not fun.)

Untadaike, that story fragment and plotline you sent me looks extra awesome; I still say you should write the whole script and get the shots and maps sketched and make it in OG. I bet it'll be ten times easier. :wink:

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:57 pm

Thanks, will do.
I actually don't think I've gotten to a boss yet! Sorry! I'd better keep on playing :lol:

NinjaRabbits

Post by NinjaRabbits » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:53 pm

Hmmm... I like how the story line sounds. I shall try this soon, and give you my opinion on it.