Ancestral Tales Campaign

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Johannes

Re: Ancestral Tales Campaign running again.

Post by Johannes » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:56 pm

alexandrius wrote:The worst mod
The worst troll

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:35 pm

KILL THE NONBELIEVER! *Raises Pitchfork*

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:01 pm

THOOOOOOOR *Wields Banhammer*

kehaar

Re: Ancestral Tales Campaign

Post by kehaar » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:07 pm

:lol: Aw.

Well, since the other mods are so great, I guess it's a fair enough opinion. :wink:
How far did you get in it before it annoyed you?

Inuichi

Post by Inuichi » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:25 am

been having a ton of fun, although i think i'm missing something in the underground level, as i'm kind of stuck -_-' I get past the two rabbits on top of the large rock, and then... get stuck on one of the floating squares, unable to move up. After about the 30th time falling, i'm just a little bit frustrated.

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:25 pm

Yay, glad you like it.

If you're talking about the level where you start out falling down the shaft, I promise it's possible.
I definitely have to push the limits of my Lugaru jumping skills and experience, but it can be done.

That said, I wouldn't make another hard jumping-or-death level with a tough fight at the end... It's just too annoying. I can't wait for REAL CLIMBING in Overgrowth, although I know it's going to have the same tedious problem if someone designs a tough fight at the end of a hard climb.

PsychotropicDog

Post by PsychotropicDog » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:38 pm

That's also where my utter enjoyment went to utter irritation. There's a recent blog post about this kind of thing -

http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/07/UNabusi ... ur-players

Also refered to as a 'dick move' by Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation.

I would suggest, if you've any inclination to revisit this, a bunch of safety net platforms - and a way to climb back up after a fall. I've noticed some of the later maps are also 'dick moves' and would suggest they get the same nerf treatment.
To sum up, the first 2/3 or so is excellent, then frustration poisons it.

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:53 pm

ya, the platform stuff seems to be a frustration point for many.

I swear I didn't put anything in to deliberately be a dick. :lol: (Yahtzee ftw)

I actually really like platform/jumping games and maps, and I totally love fighting on high, dangerous structures or rocks, where the penalty for a mistake is a 30 story fall. I never finished Tannim's Tower of Pain, but I was reasonably proud of how far I managed to get.

Looking at the platform maps now, I feel like I could have been more attentive to ramping up the difficulty, rather than just dropping the player into a stunningly hard map right at the start. I think I may go back into the first one and make an easier alternative route. I'll see if the Old PC Mac can add any more structure without killing my frame rate. Maybe I'll post a couple of alternatives as a mini map pack...

EDIT: ...and ask for some feedback. Plans are a-forming in my mind. Let's see if I an just remember how to use the map editor.
Last edited by kehaar on Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

tannim

Post by tannim » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:40 am

wow, I forgot all about that tower. I really enjoyed that map though. It is complicated, but it's actually not THAT difficult... but that's probably because I know the routes I took. Well, I KNEW them, I've long since forgotten.

Shockwave

Post by Shockwave » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:51 pm

I know this thread is old as hell but I started playing again and I stumbled upon this campaign. First of all:
•great texturing
•great architecture
•loving the gameplay of the fox
•when I play as the fox and later as the rabbit, I feel like I'm goddamn slow and sleepy because the fox is just so much faster

Now to my actual matter:
In the level "Under Ground" (it's like the 6th or 7th in Part II) I can't get any further because I don't get what to do and where to go.
After a couple of tries I made it through the pipe and landed on the first platform. Enemy down. Then I get to the top left corner and crouch-jump on the small floating boulder -> jump up a bit -> kill 2 enemies. then I guess what I have to do is jump on that nearest platform (northwest). And from then on I don't get what to do.
I am aware of the fact that this thread is damn old and probably nobody will respond but I would appreciate any bit of help. This level is just so frustrating..

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:16 pm

Sorry that level annoys so many... I really will go back and fix it, but my time is taken up with other projects.

It's definitely doable, but I feel the pain of all those who have complained that it's more frustrating that fun.
Hope this helps:

The two enemies on the big rock are facing the main run of pipes and platforms. There's a rock lip like a diving platform right in front of them; if you jump straight off it, you free fall a long way and land on the first pipe.
From there, it's all jumping and crouch-jumping from pipe to pipe, first up and to the left, then back in a loop to the right of the first pipes.

... and then you have a tough fight at the end of all your hard work. I know, probably should have been the last platform level, not the first. There are 3 more that are waaaay less hard and way more fun. Feel free to go into the console and cheat.

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:08 pm

I loved the platforming levels, personally, wouldn't have changed a thing.

tannim

Post by tannim » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:47 am

my last level for my mini-campaign is really annoying too. But I choose not to edit it out of sheer laziness and difficulty removing objects.

chewy1234

Post by chewy1234 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:54 pm

this is great! you should remake it in overgrowth! when it comes out! and are you still playing with the first level to fix the texture cuz i can help with that

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:55 am

Thanks, chewy1234. Glad you're having fun. :D

I don't think I'll remake it in OG; although the platforming would probably be more popular, I guess. =p
It's such a ton of work, and I have new story ideas as well as other crazy art projects to go along with my semi-defunct music habit and my full time job.

So are you having a lack-of-skin problem on Claire the Fox in the prologue level-- the very first one where she has all the visions? Everyone reported they had a skin, and every time I downloaded the maps I got the same glitch I always did. ??? I finally gave up and just posted the warning...