Location: Standing right behind you..... >.<[=l===> <<<thats a sword btw

Re: Lugaru Model Redesign

Post by Flamespike » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:41 am

Next, make a model set thats You as a wolf and everyone else is a rabbit O.o

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:52 am

Aspen wrote:I have also just scanned the part about a new upcoming campaign. This bit particularly interests me, especially if it uses this new model (and new animations.)

The one thing we still cannot do, if I am correct, is add completely new animations without replacing an old one. Is that right? If I am correct, I don't think we can add anything new, we can only replace existing objects (except in the line of clothes.)
That's right. You can only replace animations, and they're still triggered by the same game logic. These can have a different number of keyframes though, can have a different timing and the weapon orientation can be changed.

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:14 pm

Aspen wrote:I have also just scanned the part about a new upcoming campaign. This bit particularly interests me, especially if it uses this new model (and new animations.)

The one thing we still cannot do, if I am correct, is add completely new animations without replacing an old one. Is that right? If I am correct, I don't think we can add anything new, we can only replace existing objects (except in the line of clothes.)
You're right, at the moment Lugaru does not support more than the number of animations or models it already includes.

However as Rudel said, when swapping in a new animation you change timing and much of the fight dynamic.

Flamespike

Post by Flamespike » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:25 pm

Do you have an ETA on the figure?

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:41 pm

Flamespike wrote:Next, make a model set thats You as a wolf and everyone else is a rabbit O.o
Heh, you can choose in lugaru's editor if you or enemies are either rabbit or wolf. You can try this yourself by enabling debug in Data/config.txt, pressing the ` button (under escape on US keyboards) and then typing in "wolfieisgod", without quotes of-course.
The campaign Ancestral Tales takes full advantage of this, since half the time your character is using the wolf model.

That being said I -do- plan on re-designing the wolf model as well.
Flamespike wrote:Do you have an ETA on the figure?
As with Overgrowth, it'll be done when it's done ;)

Aspen

Post by Aspen » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:03 pm

I think, jo-shadow, that you are a large fan of the Ancestral Tales campaign. You have linked to it twice now, and in the same topic.

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:25 pm

Aspen wrote:I think, jo-shadow, that you are a large fan of the Ancestral Tales campaign. You have linked to it twice now, and in the same topic.
Haha, yeah I suppose I'm quite a fan of kehaar's. I just played it a few days ago for the first time so it's still quite fresh in my mind =P

Aspen

Post by Aspen » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:07 pm

I have been mulling over the phrase "weapon orientation" ever since rudel_ic stated it. I have a question. Does weapon orientation imply we may be able to use the bladed foot shown in concept art for Lugaru 2 a while ago? Is it possible to "reorient" the weapon onto the foot, and therefore have kicking/slicing attacks?

The roundhouse reversal might be gruesome that way, however.

Flamespike

Post by Flamespike » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:14 pm

•o.o•
I don't even want to think about that....
But yes, that would be Epik.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:33 pm

Aspen wrote:I have been mulling over the phrase "weapon orientation" ever since rudel_ic stated it. I have a question. Does weapon orientation imply we may be able to use the bladed foot shown in concept art for Lugaru 2 a while ago? Is it possible to "reorient" the weapon onto the foot, and therefore have kicking/slicing attacks?

The roundhouse reversal might be gruesome that way, however.
I don't think so right now. Weapon orientation is just where the thing points to in a keyframe. The weapon is always attached to the hand when drawn and always where the standard model's hip is when holstered (except for the staff, of course).

Still, although this is pretty much set in stone as far as I'm aware, one could trick around with offsetting weapons. It would be really hard to do, I guess. But maybe there's a way to synch hand and foot movement so that an offset weapon does the job with custom animations, I dunno.

Initially, I thought that the weird bytes in weapon-related animations were responsible for where the weapon was attached to, but toying around with them didn't change much in that regard. All it changed was what effect the weapon had, but it wasn't consistent. So pasting the staff's ground smash bytes into the knife's floor stab bytes didn't do what you'd expect.

It's real mysterious right now, might clear up once I do stuff with it though; there were quite a few uncertainties with the .solid format as well initially, like shorts instead of ints at places, repeated stuff and weird scaling. However, all that was solved when I got to actually converting models and seeing results instead of theorizing over it. So I'm confident that we'll get to the bottom of these details eventually. Just a matter of persistence, really.

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:55 pm

Healey wrote:The forum lacks an applaud emote.
f50.gif
f50.gif (3.35 KiB) Viewed 13184 times

Flamespike

Post by Flamespike » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:44 am

Joker ftw

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:03 am

Update 3: The Head

This took me a little longer than the rest, and I'm still not completely satisfied with it, but here is most of the work i did on the head so far.

I started by extruding the neck and getting a very general shape of the head based on my sketches (unfortunately I don't have a screenshot of this)

Then I proceeded to place the important landmarks, such as the eyes, nose corners of the mouth, etc.

Here you can see a bit of the workflow:
To make sure that things alined correctly I used transparent overlays for guidance

A little further along:

And further still:

Next update will be the ears, and some minor tweaks all around. Will definitely optimize the head a bit more.

Current model is 1330 polys, 1995 edges, 671 vertices

Stromboli

Post by Stromboli » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:08 am

That looks fun. Looks like the new model would be much better suited to taking clothing and the like.

Flex

Post by Flex » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:29 pm

great job dude! keep it comeing, be shure to add some alpha maped fur around the neck and on the cest to give him a more agressive/masculine look ;)