additions to the combat system (Lugaru)

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:23 pm

Jeff wrote:Just to clarify, we are not even thinking about the map editor yet. What I am working on now is a GUI framework that can be used in the map editor as well as the rest of the game. My current objective is to make a pixel perfect replication of the Mac OS X interface that behaves exactly as it does on your actual computer, down to the last detail. So, for Mac users anyway, when they start up Lugaru, they will not even know that they left the operating system - that is the level of GUI widgets I am going for. So when I say that this is the next generation and it will leave other games in the dust, etc. I am referring to how your mousewheel will work exactly how you expect it to, you can press tab to cycle through controls, you will even be able to drag and drop text and such.
It will replicate the OSX GUI in behavior or in appearance? If I open up Lugaru 2 and see Aqua...

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:41 pm

At the moment, both. Later on we will make our own theme to avoid Apple legal's wrath. Still looking for a 2D artist, by the way.

Hopefully I will have screenshots and a downloadable demo soon.

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:44 pm

zip wrote:If I open up Lugaru 2 and see Aqua...
... I will get a heart attack.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:40 pm

Let's see how much effort will have to be put into coding an accurate editor for WinXP / Linux... As far as I understand Jeff's posts, quite a lot.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:54 pm

Windows and OS X don't have very many differences in terms of behavior. One example is how the focus works. In Windows, every control you see on screen can be accessed via tab, whereas in OS X only editfields behave that way (unless you turn on accessibility.) Other than minor functional differences like that, they are essentially the same, just different themes. It should be pretty trivial to create an XP or Aero theme for the GUI I'm developing, but that would be a significant downgrade IMHO.

There is no set GUI for Linux though, so replicating that doesn't make a lot of sense.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:42 pm

Of course not, but the functionality itself would have to be available on Linux as well. In some kind of GUI.

Eric
Support Ninja Master

Post by Eric » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:07 pm

i think the main point of this OSX replica GUI is for funcionality not the illusion of being in your OS. Jeff is trying to make it so everything works how you would expect, not neccessarly look exactly how you expect. Like he said before. tabbing will work like the OS (seperate way for OSX, Windows and Linux I geuss); scrolling with a mouse will work, basically you wont have problems like trillian or many other games do.

xrodneyx

Post by xrodneyx » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:11 pm

To what martial art will be similar combat system at the moment?
I'd prefer more aikido techniques (such as irime nage, kote gaeshi, kokyu nage :P 8) ), i hope that at least someone of the developers knows aikido.
Can't wait for Lugaru 2 demo :P Lugaru 2 is well popular in Russia too

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Re: In a nutshell... edit: long nutshell

Post by Colicedus » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:35 am

Zantalos wrote:Image Image
So yeah, I'm going to say that you should definately be prepared to see some sidestepping in Lugaru 2.

We kind of skipped around this thread and missed out on alot of ideas
(my fault I didn't reply completely to Ledood's)
But I think that idea of knocking out is really cool. In games (and in real life, I think), we usually only see these things fading from bright to dark. This effect would be really cool since you it would go from dark/normal to bright. This probably isn't a whole new idea (I know Half Life 2 created a cool bloom effect that is based on your eye dilating), but this would just look so much better than a black out fade. Since this is based on your character waking up from a concussion, it would fit the blooming very accurately (again, probably doesn't happpen in real life but for a game, very fittingly) and it'd look very awesome as dynamic time passes by. In fact any effect would look great with dynamic time on the fly, blooming effects would just make it look better.

I also like the idea of Lugaru being a completely open game (maybe not completely of course). But alot of our ideas are pretty much centered on whether the game will have that kind of open realism. Ledood's ideas are very based on that kind of openness aswell.
The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion has the ability to create almost the same type of prison like scenario. You could go to jail, break out with a lockpick, get your stuff back in the evidence room, sneak off past the gaurds, and then finish off on your newly stolen horse as you ride off to the next city. With a greater sense of imaginative role-playing you could take a simple unscripted event like stealing from an old river house, into a more adventurous story of a young thief's journey through the country side.

Not only can these things leave you with fun gaming experiences, it can also increase the gameplay with the infinite amount of individualy created stories for every player. I'm not sure how easily this would be done, but I'm guessing it would be an extrememly difficult task. This is based on the fact that not many games can actually create this style, despite the amount of requests (I can name like 4, maybe).

And ya, I really like that mugging thing when you pass out. Enemies will just try to knock you unconscious and then steal all your stuff since, it's the common stereotype that muggers never actually kill you, they just leave you to die (too bad they don't get the same option eh?). And so there should be a way to track them down (perhaps a very obviouse set of footprints to follow), and take your things back from them.
I like the sounds of that. I may have only read a bit of the form up to were this was said. but a good segeston. maby for that there is the campen mode and then Adventure mode were you creat the custom skin for youre Charitor and Give him his owen style of movment (i did read that there whould be something like this for diferent NPCs or something) and alow more of a Free roming Setting. where the world trys to run day to day. then you could masacar a town. word whould spreed of you're blood shed maby the Bunnys of the capatal has got a price on you're head. (EG: Xlzmzimanrax, Wanted for Rape and Pillage. 50 carrots if found dead or alive)

then again thats just an ider that whould be cool

GaGrin

Post by GaGrin » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:26 am

Sorry for bumping this thread - hope its not considered too old.

There has been alot of discussion on unarmed fighting styles and techniques. True, Lugaru was more strongly centred around unarmed martial arts but I would like to see a stronger emphisis on armed combat.

I know that David has stated elsewhere that sword disarms will be toned down and that he intents to make the weapons (especially swords from the sounds of his post) more dependent on range. I agree with this move completly. However, combining this idea with the automatic blocking - i'd like to see some kind of passive defence with weapons - holding them to cover yourself as best as possible and reacting to closing enemiesby attempting to put the spear in the way.

Polearms should be able to make use of their reach, swords and other hand-weapons should be a little more flexable but weaker at very long and short range, etc. I'm sure everyone gets the point and it sounds like David is developing something along these lines anyway.

I'd also like to see grappling if armed opponents clash too close - with disarming, binding and pinning - with the appropriate defences of course.

Anything to add?

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:56 pm

Auto-blocking takes the skill out of everything. Honestly, I don't think any kind of blocking works well with Lugaru's gameplay.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:15 am

To be honest, i like the Attacking to have you're sword block the enemies sword. I think the same could be done with daggers. some how.
mind you daggers would be kind of hard.

if i would like to see something new is Mid Air Kicks. I can just visualize it now. Turner jumps in the air and lashes out a kick and sends the guys head flying! and the head travels so fast that it breaks a hole in the wall near by and knocks a guy over.

And one other thing is Saving throws. Thats what they called them in the pen and paper RPG games, and they are called something else in Platform games but thats the only name i can think of. They were Used in Dino Crises, Dead Rising, and i think in Resident Evil. you press a particular button as many times as you can, or you press as many buttons as you can. this increases you're chance of survival in such things as a Mob of 80 Zombis Knock you over and jumps on you. you can Press a button repetitively or maybe as many buttons as you can to get out of it. this could be done in slowmo so you can press the right buttons, maybe you could have a System that makes you have to punch in random number/Letters on the Key board to save yourself from Traps, Stealth Kills from the enemy. maybe you can only use 3 saving throws pre day and then you need to rest up. and of cores if you fail you Die/Loose a hell of a lot of health.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:01 am

Random button moves suck.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:16 am

Its not a move. Its a Save you're ass from getting Eaten by 50 wolfs.
Turner if he manages to do it some how breaks out of a mob of wolfs and has more chance to escape there Encampment, after a failed attempt to sneak in and Free some prisoners.

Its not a martial arts move...

This could also be used to try and shake a concussion.
how ever you will probably be easier to knock around.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:09 am

Let me rephrase: Random button anythings suck.