additions to the combat system (Lugaru)

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Fri May 23, 2008 11:08 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:
rudel_ic wrote:Yeah. But using chicken as a melee weapon... That's something Zelda hasn't done.
Well...you were able to throw the chickens...does that count?
They don't do any damage…

Also, Coli? You should play Stubbs the Zombie. It's Arm-Ripping Heaven In There!

invertin

Post by invertin » Sat May 24, 2008 2:08 am

Hehehehe... Brains..

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Sat May 24, 2008 2:43 am

wow stubbs is fun lol

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Mon May 26, 2008 2:45 pm

BunnyWithStick wrote:
Renegade_Turner wrote:
rudel_ic wrote:Yeah. But using chicken as a melee weapon... That's something Zelda hasn't done.
They don't do any damage…

Also, Coli? You should play Stubbs the Zombie. It's Arm-Ripping Heaven In There!
I would play Stubs, but the computer I had needed more grunt, and now the Computer I'm using is a 10 year downgrade :cry:

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon May 26, 2008 3:57 pm

BunnyWithStick wrote:
Renegade_Turner wrote:
They don't do any damage.
That didn't detract from the fun!

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Mon May 26, 2008 4:55 pm

Tru dat.

bono bob

Post by bono bob » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:39 am

Both ability to block an throw.

Of course blocking with unarmed would be useless against a weapon and you should counter instead, (which would include wolf claws) but I thought that if you could duck a spin kick.. then why can you block a medium height bunch by holding block a bit early before it happens.. and then of course have the ability to throw any object including people to with a universal throw button (blocking would do nothing against throws obviously .. the way to deal with a throw move is simply punch them in the face)

also you would duck block in order to block a trip kick but then would be vulnerable to the kick to the head move that happens when the select attack and your busy ducking. In short it would be an added feature in combat but wouldn't really define it as it can easily be overcome and it would prob be easier to instinctively counter at the right time.. but it something that could potentially help change the flow of combat a bit.

xrodneyx

Re: additions to the combat system

Post by xrodneyx » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:05 pm

I thinking about an ability to pause (or slo mo) the battle (at the beginning of fight/encountering enemy) and choose players first actions and tactics, stategy. Then turn off pause and get to action. This is because in real world person gets advantage when he uses his momentum in fight, does some sudden moves, and in a game we simply don't have time or ability to do so, to "surprise" our opponent.
For example when i encounter some rabbit which suddenly just walked at me out of the corner, i would like to push him to get him out of balance, or maybe i would get out of the line of his attack, when he attacks, to his side or behind his back; Or i would strike him with multiple fast punches (like in wing tsun). There could be any martial arts trick that can get us some advantage.

And about skills, i would like to have: feel of enemy's intention and his movement(mostly it comes by constant contact with enemy), timing, "luck" (ability to do a great deal of damage, brutality - it comes by striking, broking vitals parts of body, organs, or by throwing enemy to floor, walls), balance (players), and ability to play with enemies balance (some aiki skill)

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:30 pm

But in real life, time doesn't suddenly slow down to a stop when you start to fight someone and ask you what you plan on doing. (Yes, I was referring to time itself asking you what you plan on doing.)

Why not just run in and shove said enemy and then deliver several quick punches instead of having a little screen come up, you tell it that you want to shove said enemy and then deliver several quick punches and THEN run in and shove said enemy and then deliver several quick punches. This isn't Fallout 3, remember.

Given the context-sensitive combat system, there's most likely a way all these moves can work. Possibly with a couple extra buttons, each with its own context-sensitive moves. For instance, pressing and holding Action1Button will perform the standard U-Punch from Lugaru 1 (or a similar and more practical attack) while pressing it once (range shouldn't matter like it does in Lugaru 1 for these attacks) does a standard weak punch. Pressing Action2Button and holding it down will perform a shove attack, momentarily unbalancing foes if it succeeds. Pressing it once will perform a slap attack, also providing a stunning effect. Pressing Action1Button repeatedly will perform a series of fast, weak punches, while pressing Action2Button repeatedly will, say, shake the enemy around and then attempt to throw said enemy to the ground. Pressing Action2Button while crouching will try to pull the enemy's legs out from under him/her, while pressing Action1Button while crouching will perform a standard leg sweep.

Things like that would work quite well. Of course, Action2Button would also pick up weapons and sheathe them when not near an enemy.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:18 pm

Maybe not a paused screen, but I'm thinking about the last show on Firefly when Mal and the bounty hunter come across each other and they're both so surprised, there's no initiative at first, they just stare at each other like "uhhhh" and then a second later they start fighting.

I think it would be cool if there was a small one second surprise factor when the enemy first spots you and is prepared to fight so you could quickly attack him before he would get the chance to react. And to make it more comical, I think it would be even more wickedly funny if the pause was really exaggerated if you're not in a fighting stance or if you don't have your weapon drawn out. So if the ai is coming around the corner and he spots you on the other side just standing there he would take a second or two before deciding to attack you or run away and alert some one.

nutcracker

Post by nutcracker » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:50 am

Homocidal Ham wrote:What do you think would make the combat system better?
say what improvments you think would make combat more enjoyable.

-make it so people die if they are punched/kicked in the front of the neck or rabbit kicked in the head

-add spin kick move for use against multiple opponents

-add the ability to throw people without countering their attacks

-let people run across/up walls
This wont happen. This forum goes of topic very quick and I dont think that they will add these even if you ask. Happened before.

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:38 am

I say Slow mo could be implemented by using inventory items like potions, or herbs of some kind.

shikun

Post by shikun » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:56 am

please, don't include any RPG crap in OG. but that herb idea you came up with was good. would also be great if there would be some more herbs, for example more power (for a short time).
i hope OG will have some similar combat system like Rune: http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=lI35RW4ohHA&fmt=22.

and don't forget to include dodging :wink:

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:01 pm

Oh wow, it appears I'm not the only one who has played Rune XD

herbs and salves, would be interesting... something to do after an intense battle most likely, but not during... and it would have to take a little bit of time especially if it's going to be used in multiplayer.

Maybe bandaging bleeding wounds as well?

shikun

Post by shikun » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:22 pm

Ozymandias wrote:Oh wow, it appears I'm not the only one who has played Rune XD

herbs and salves, would be interesting... something to do after an intense battle most likely, but not during... and it would have to take a little bit of time especially if it's going to be used in multiplayer.

Maybe bandaging bleeding wounds as well?
i have been playing rune online since it's release. but i'm playing the multiplayer expansionpack Halls of Valhalla (HOV). not very active atm. but i'm a member of one of the oldiest clan :).

herbs could be used as health to. like green herbs: health .. red herbs: power up .. etc.
the "health-herbs" should been seen more often in the game. or at least in multiplayer :P.