additions to the combat system (Lugaru)

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Zaphon

Post by Zaphon » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:49 pm

Well, I had an idea, since there's water in Lugaru 2 (Yes?), how about drowning? It may not be very effective, since it takes much longer to drown someone than to snap their necks, but it could be kinda cool.

Imagine Turner standing in a body of water, and an enemy tries to punch him.
Turner quickly grabs his arm, twists it, grabs his head, and pulls it down into the water, holding it there until he's done for.
You could also have a stealth drowning-move, instead of doing the standard spinebreaker, he pulls the enemy down by his throat and into the water.

But, in combat with multiple enemies, these moves would not be very effective.

I agree with Usagi, much of Lugaru's charm lies in its simple, intuitive combat that is easy to learn, but hard to master.

Fournine
.hacker

Post by Fournine » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:45 pm

The water comment gave me a couple of ideas:

Since it seems the environment will play a larger part in the game, in terms of combat, survival, etc...

Not sure how it would be implemented, but the concept is novel, IMO:
Let Turner grab up some surrounding stuff and fling it at his enemies, depending on the location:
Desert: Turner grabs a handful (pawful?) of sand (possibly equipped as a temporary weapon?) and can fling it at his enemies' eyes to stun them for a while.
Snow: Turner makes a snowball and can throw it to distract enemies, say, lure them away from a doorway.
Water: Turner splashes water into the eyes of enemies, for the same effect as sand.

Albab
This title is part one ...

Post by Albab » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:24 pm

Mudslinging! Woo. Or we could just stick their heads in the mud. The insanely complicated Combo system seems awsome, but I agree with zaphon, it shouldn't be too complicated.

Vib Rib
Lugaru da Vinci

Post by Vib Rib » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:54 pm

You know, I don't think sand is the same as water in the eyes. I would imagine sand is slightly worse.

Unless there's like, too much chlorine in the water, then it can be pretty bad.

Kalexon
Kalexon

Post by Kalexon » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:00 am

It would still stun them a moment getting the water out of the eyes, though yes, sand would be worse, though this is about stunning the enemy. Maybe sand could stun them for longer then water. It doesn't matter what you put in there eyes as long as it stings and takes at least three seconds to get out it's pretty effective becuase in the time they take to get the stuff out (i.e. Water, sand, ect,) they could be knifed, tossed off a cliff, thrown into a huge rock that crushes there spine, bisected, or knocked unconcuis and tied up if you want to take the enemy alive.

Vib Rib
Lugaru da Vinci

Post by Vib Rib » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:24 am

Yeah! That's what we need!
More important differences between enemies unconscious and dead.

toshiro

Post by toshiro » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:35 am

@ Usagi: It is an allusion to Mifune Toshiro, yes... I just liked the actor so much I decided to steal his name and use it for my avatar (I have been doing so since 2000, so it kind of grew on me). If you see a toshiro online, chances are not all too bad it's me :)

I see what you mean by intuitivity. That's one part I like about Lugaru, too. I was more or less just rambling. But I do think that having separate commands for punching and kicking would add to that rather than detract from it. The combos are just an idea that popped up, because I was thinking about customisability. It would be entirely up to the player to 'do' combos, and I see the problem with gameplay balance, especially if there's ever going to be Lugaru MP. The effectiveness of combos would have to be a) limited and b) countered by other means.

As for the reversals: I finally got the hang of them, and I agree (for what it's worth...), they are one of the most outstanding things in the combat system (to my knowledge, no other HtH game allows you to do that).

@Fournine:
Water is very interesting. I take it some of you read Lone Wolf & Cub?
Ôgami uses the 'wave-cut' technique (not sure what it's called in english, indulge me :)... something like that would be great. In high grass, hide your sword in it, in water, hide it under water... and when the opponent comes storming up, you just lift the blade, and hold it in your enemy's path... *slice... thud*. You have to have read the story to know what I mean, I guess.

Usagi
Screenshot Superhero

Post by Usagi » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:07 am

:!:
Last edited by Usagi on Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:49 am

To continue on with cliches and sterotypical ideas :wink: Since his family is dead, maybe he find some orphaned rabbit or some rabbit wandering around or something...

Evil Penguin

Post by Evil Penguin » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:50 pm

toshiro wrote:@ Usagi:
@Fournine:
Water is very interesting. I take it some of you read Lone Wolf & Cub?
Ôgami uses the 'wave-cut' technique (not sure what it's called in english, indulge me :)... something like that would be great. In high grass, hide your sword in it, in water, hide it under water... and when the opponent comes storming up, you just lift the blade, and hold it in your enemy's path... *slice... thud*. You have to have read the story to know what I mean, I guess.
That has got to be one of the most useless things I have ever heard of. But whatever.

Kalexon
Kalexon

Post by Kalexon » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:58 pm

As I remember, all Turner had in terms of family was a wife and a daughter, unless another child before that came of age and left the village all of Turner's family is dead.

Fournine
.hacker

Post by Fournine » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:19 pm

Father, mother, siblings? Grandparents? Cousins? Uncles and Aunts?

@ Toshiro - It's a good name. Actually, it's my middle name, so I should know. :P Given to me by my mother, after, of course, Mifune. I have a high respect of those who have it - use it properly.
The kanji specificly used in Mifune's given name "Toshiro" can be divided into something more specific: Toshi & ro
Ro means "son" or can be used as a counter for sons. (First son, second son, etc.)
Toshi means "cleverness", "agile", "alert"

Source: http://dict.regex.info/cgi-bin/j-e/inli ... =4952|4f3a

Evil Penguin

Post by Evil Penguin » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:09 pm

I think that in L2, all the other bunnies should die, and he is the last one. ;)

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:28 am

Evil Penguin wrote:I think that in L2, all the other bunnies should die, and he is the last one. ;)
against the wolves? :P

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:59 am

NO WAY!
Bunny vs bunny fighting or I go mad.
Of course against wolves too.
And other animals?