Hi all!! Needing a little help. =]

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:26 am

SCRIPT_10000 wrote:
Why can't you host zip files? What the.. Need help with that?
Server restriction..
Just download the zips, unzip them and host the unzipped content.

But you aren't hosting BunnyWithStick's maps. You are just linking to them. Do you have webspace? If you do, you could host all of the maps and we'd link to your hosted files in the wiki. That would be a great improvement.
What kind of fansite is yours?
You don´t need to like. But thanks for the link anyways. :)
I didn't say that I don't like your site. It's just strange that you don't know how to open maps in Lugaru if you host a fansite, that's all.

Edit: Concerning my maps: The total size of them is about 66 KB unzipped. It shouldn't be too hard to host them.

SCRIPT_10000

Post by SCRIPT_10000 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:07 pm

Just download the zips, unzip them and host the unzipped content.
I can do that of course. But lugaru maps dont have extension like *.exe, *.dll.. And some people will have a little difficult to download its.

BunnyWithStick maps hosted in my server:

http://lugaru-fan.atspace.org/Data/Maps ... _Wanderers
http://lugaru-fan.atspace.org/Data/Maps/Hill_Grove
http://lugaru-fan.atspace.org/Data/Maps/Silly_Forest
It shouldn't be too hard to host them.
I can host all lugaru maps but only in unzipped content. :wink:

+ a think someone can post some links to lugaru sites? Like the wiki and lugaru.tk? I will add the links to my links bar.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:33 pm

What's your problem?

1. You download the maps from the wiki, zipped.
2. You unpack the zip files with WinZip(tm) or unzip or whatever.
3. You upload the unzipped files.

If you unzip the files, you'll see that there's no EXE or DLL in them.
There is no DLL or EXE involved if you don't want it.

4. The user right-clicks on the map links on your site, then chooses "Download Target..." and saves them to the Maps folder.
5. Then, he starts Lugaru, loads the map from the console with "map $MAPNAME" and plays it.
6. Everything is fine!

If it concerns you that people may have problems downloading those maps, just add instructions to your site that explain how to download and start the maps in detail.

I don't understand your problems with the zips. There are no virii or trojan horses in them, trust me. Multiple people already downloaded them and there was no complain.
Even if there were malicious programs in them, you'd have to start them.

I will not unpack and upload those files for you. For god's sake, it's not such a big deal. Stop talking - host them or don't. End of discussion.

Oh, have a merry christmas, everyone. Hope you enjoy it!

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:20 am

I think he said .exe or .dll just as example on files that always downloads correctly without problems.

Other than that, since the Lugaru maps are basically just everyday textfiles,
some people might have to download with "save target as"/"download target", etc, of course. And he told us what the problem with the zips was: server restriction.
I don't think he ever mentioned any type of malware..

testing download/playing map...

I tested redownloading one of BWS' maps from the site, and I didn't even need to select Download Target etc. Just click the links and my Fox of Fire wants to download a "Binary File" (which then needs nothing to work in Lugaru).

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Great, now I can tease you because here in Sweden christmas eve is
on 24 Dec, today!

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:33 am

We should set up an FTP server where people can upload zipped maps.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:59 pm

If SCRIPT_10000 is hosting maps, I think it would be a good idea to keep the rapidshare.de/hosting site links to maps available, especially since I can't seem to connect to lugaru-fan.atspace etcetera right now

I'll continue uploading maps to rapidshare.de and sending the links and all to lugaru.tk and SCRIPT_10000 as usual; everything seems to be working out fine as it is

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:06 pm

rapidshare is really crappy though. I don't like being bombarded with ads, having to type in an authentication code, and then waiting to download a 1k file. These things should be hosted on a real server. I will see if I can set up a map FTP account for people to upload maps to wolfire.com

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:16 pm

Maybe it is rather crappy, but I don't have any problem with it myself
It's better than nothing :)

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:54 pm

Jeff wrote:These things should be hosted on a real server.
I set up a crappy page. Go here: http://lugaruspace.50megs.com/maps/
Since Lugaru maps are kind of small, that'll be enough for some time, I think. When Jeff has set up the FTP, I'll delete the page. In the meantime, write me a PM here and I'll host over there so that you can download maps there instead of rapidshare.

Edit:
Eww: The referer is checked. So, direct linking from outside is forbidden. But it's still better than rapidshare.

I am currently implementing a workaround with redirects. It just doesn't work with every map for unknown reasons. If you guys would try the links in the wiki and report errors via PM (and if you know a way around it, tell me!), I'd appreciate it.