Universial Things Learned From Game Forums

Anything else
Dudeman

Universial Things Learned From Game Forums

Post by Dudeman » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:06 am

This probably didn't need it's own topic, but yeah, some dude on the JC2 forum posted a funny as hell list of things he learned from those forums. I'm pretty sure it's applicable to almost every game forum (besides the thing about Hoters, obviously)

1. Someone will always complain about something.
2. You can't please everyone.
3. Petitions don't do anything.
4. The search tool does not exist.
5. People are stupid.
6. Videos are appreciated better than comics by the community.
7. Comics are appreciated better than videos by the devs.
8. People will never stop asking for something to be added to a game even if a valid reason is given for it not being added.
9. Hoters is a type of water heater.
10. Every console is superior to every other console.

tokage

Re: Universial Things Learned From Game Forums

Post by tokage » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:39 am

The petition

The result:

I think rule 3 is disproven.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:14 am

I often use the search tool. It's very useful. Rule 2 disproven.

I generally don't appreciate the community comics at all other than Vib Rib's ones, even then I don't appreciate those more than the development videos. Rule 7 disproven.

Every console cannot be superior to every other console because that is against the laws of logic. These rules are silly.

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:48 am

yes thank you ren

you must follow the rules of logic and concur (i think thats how it's spelt) that the 360 is the superior console :lol: i joke i joke

all down to personal opinion something invertin must learn >:(

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:38 pm

Correct or not, I think these rules are amusing, and adding that to the fact that they don't (seem to) insult anyone, results in causing the consequence that is the being pleased of, um, me.

Also I still want water in Overgr—... Lugartoo.

Armored Wolf

Post by Armored Wolf » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:39 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:I often use the search tool. It's very useful. Rule 2 disproven.
Are you sure you don't mean Rule 4?
Dudeman wrote:4. The search tool does not exist.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:55 am

Yes.

Actually, no, fuck you, "I often use the search tool. It's very useful." disproves "2. You can't please everyone." somehow. Don't ask why, just accept it because I say so.

invertin

Post by invertin » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:50 pm

zoidberg rules wrote:something invertin must learn >:(
If I told them what sparked this minigrudge they would be on you like a pack of hounds, the forum would split in two with debate and flaming and everyone would die.

Let's keep that debate in the real world fer-now. >.>

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:38 pm

what you mean about how im just not that fond of PS3s? or because of the other thing?...

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:56 pm

All consoles suck because they suck the life out of people and waste valuable time which could be spent building a life, maintaining a relationship, creating great works of art, or experiencing other most valuable experiences.
They do this.
Much like forums.

Armored Wolf

Post by Armored Wolf » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:59 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:Yes.

Actually, no, fuck you, "I often use the search tool. It's very useful." disproves "2. You can't please everyone." somehow. Don't ask why, just accept it because I say so.

I'm not sure whether to say "Glad to be of service" or not.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:34 pm

Glabbit wrote:All consoles suck because they suck the life out of people and waste valuable time which could be spent building a life, maintaining a relationship, creating great works of art, or experiencing other most valuable experiences.
They do this.
Much like forums.
Building a life can be considered to suck because you're going to die.

Maintaining a relationship can be considered to suck because it takes a lot of time and careful consideration towards the other person, and a lot of yourself goes into the other person. You lose a lot of time with friends.

Creating great works of art can be considered to suck because no one's going to appreciate it until you're decomposing

What other "most valuable experiences" are there? I consider playing a really great console game to be a joy. Who are you tell me how to derive happiness? Having said that, I love my course, I'm looking forward to building my life, I love my girlfriend and I appreciate some forms of art. That's not to say another person couldn't disagree about those things being important and be completely correct in their own way because it's their life and their happiness. "Happiness".

P.s. It could also be argued that "great works of art" could include games such as Shadow Of The Colossus. In this respect, is it only rewarding to create these works of art, or is it okay to appreciate them too? Is that rewarding? Personally, video games evoke a lot more emotion from me than the Mona Lisa ever would, which is considered by many to be one of the greatest magnum opuses ever created. Who is someone else to tell me that them appreciating the Mona Lisa is somehow more fulfilling than me appreciating Silent Hill 2 or Okami?

h2ostra

Post by h2ostra » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:53 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:
P.s. It could also be argued that "great works of art" could include games such as Shadow Of The Colossus. In this respect, is it only rewarding to create these works of art, or is it okay to appreciate them too? Is that rewarding? Personally, video games evoke a lot more emotion from me than the Mona Lisa ever would, which is considered by many to be one of the greatest magnum opuses ever created. Who is someone else to tell me that them appreciating the Mona Lisa is somehow more fulfilling than me appreciating Silent Hill 2 or Okami?
I completely agree with the concept here (though for me, it would be something other than video games). In my own interests, this manifests itself most in the imposed dichotomy between "popular" and "art" music. I personally don't see any reason other than historical significance that classical or jazz music should be held above any other form of music (this includes Lady Gaga, and whatever else everyone likes to hate for its "trashiness"), as it very commonly is in the academic world. To draw the old food analogy, I see no reason that a $30 steak is "better" than a cheeseburger, and I would take the burger any day.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:42 pm

I would also take the burger, although the significance of fancy restaurants with expensive steaks is more for their allure in a purely aesthetic and celebratory sense rather than for the actual quality of the food. Also, there is a quality curve in restaurants that does not appear, in many cases, to be at all related to the pricing. For example, a cafe/restaurant here in Waterford named Sumatra appears to serve better meals for 12 euro than the Bodega next door to it which charges in some cases 27 euro for the gourmet burger choice in the Main Courses. I wasn't impressed with their Venison pie in the wine sauce. My girlfriend got the vegetarian risotto, though, and it kicked ass. Also, an argument can be made that the variance in taste and texture which is found from restaurant to restaurant when it comes to fancy dining is greater than the variance experienced from fast food store to fast food store. Most of them offer the same thing. If you go to McDonald's too often you get sick of McDonald's. However, in restaurants you're pretty much guaranteed that you're going to taste something you didn't taste before.

Also, I'm not a fan of Lady Gaga simply because her "artistry" seems a little forced. I'm not talking about her music, of course. I'm talking about her costumes. Her frenetic choice of stage attire and adamant refusal to never wear the same thing twice and never wear anything "ordinary" is about as close as I can get to defining the term "try-hard" with the use of a person's name as is realistically possible.

However, my girlfriend loves Lady Gaga. At the same time, my girlfriend is studying in the National College of Art Dublin, and is attempting to qualify for Fashion as her choice for Year 2 of her course, so she's into that kind of thing anyway. I just find it annoying.

h2ostra

Post by h2ostra » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:41 am

Oh, I'm no particular Lady Gaga fan, I just mean that I don't think that it is a "lower" form of music. I might not find it as interesting or emotionally engaging as many others, but I think it is equally valid as music.