Super Odd Bug on Linux

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Silverfish

Super Odd Bug on Linux

Post by Silverfish » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:07 pm

When a weapon like a knife for example lands on the ground there's a pretty big risk it'll start spazzing out. It will spin around in small circles while going faster and faster, sometimes it will stop and sometimes it will just go faster and faster and then fly really far away.

No idea what this might be, but it's pretty fun watching the AI chase those spinning weapons. I will try to post a video sometime, but anyhow, what might this be?

merlin1991

Re: Super Odd Bug on Linux

Post by merlin1991 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:50 am

Silverfish wrote:but anyhow, what might this be?
"physics engine" going crazy

you often see simial stuff in other old games, when an item lands on a very steep surface

fetter_oml

Post by fetter_oml » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:01 am

i have the same bug. it really sucks, cause you loose your precious knife once you throw und miss :|

im about reinstalling the game, i hope this fixes it.
does anyone know how to get more information out of lugaru? like ./lugaru --verboose or something like :D

oml

Eddward

Post by Eddward » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:11 pm

Lugaru never had this problem for me until I upgraded to a new system. I can now recreate this at will. I can play challenge level2, drop the knife and watch it bounce and dance around until it goes flying off. Challenge 7 is more impressive. I can get a staff, drop it on top of one of the stone cubes and watch it bounce around a little until it starts spinning furiously and goes flying back and forth until it shoots of in some random direction.

I'm trying to find a way to make a screen cast that doesn't slow down performance so much that you can really see just how wild the items can be. You still see them fly off, but you don't see them spin like a helicopter first. I did notice that running the screen capture tool while playing the game made the item behave less wild. They might not go flying out of sight and might just find a small valley or groovy where they will just bounce around a little.

Compare how the game plans now to how it played on my previous system, the gravity seem off too. If an opponent hits me, I can usually flip and land back on my feet instead of falling to the ground. When I hit opponents, they usually go flying off like in the Matrix where Neo fights off the hundred Smiths. I even had a fun case on level 6 where I got hit, flew up what seem 60 yard high and about 20 yard to the side before I hover a moment and was able to direct my fall back down to the opponent who hit me. It's kinda cool, but wrong.

My old system was a Sempron 2.2 (actually 1.8GHz I think) and it ran Gentoo and Ubuntu 9.4 at different times. Currently I can a Core Duo 2.93GHz. I went from 500MB & 1Gb on the old system to 3GB on the new one.

Anyone else see this. Are there work arounds or any chance of getting a fix?

Thanks,
Edd

smain

Post by smain » Mon May 10, 2010 6:45 am

I can confirm this bug too on a Linux x64 box...

The problem seems to be related to the 64 bit architecture. I have tested the game on: Linux x64 and x86 plus Windows x64 and x86... And both of th x64 gives me the bug, but not the x86...

Started this thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6310

Has anyone found a fix for this bug? either on windows or linux?... Is there a way to emulate running a program as 32-bit?

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Mon May 10, 2010 1:30 pm

Well, atleast in Windows you can "Run in compatibility mode".
Open properties (Right-Click -> Properties / Click once -> Alt+Enter) on a shortcut and:

I run the game in 64-bit Vista (x86) without problems.