Anything else
Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:57 am

Has anyone actually seen the new(-er) FMA series? Heard that it was pretty good too. Although I think they could have left it where it was. But alas, profitability.

Hahaha yeah, when I first played Grandia when I was like 10 I was too young to get the reference, then when I was older I was like "...he never really meant coffee, did he?"

And I agree with myself, the movie did look quite good from the previews. I hated myself for thinking it but when I saw the trailer I thought "Epic..." Especially the cannons and shit. Pity it's shit.

Sandurz

Post by Sandurz » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:21 am

You mean FMA Brotherhood?

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:25 am

Maybe I do? If that's the latest FMA series that would be very well likely, would it not?

Sandurz

Post by Sandurz » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:36 am

Probably, but I don't know if FMA or FMA Brotherhood came first.
I'm too lazy to google it.

Eskudero

Post by Eskudero » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:29 pm

fma was first

Altair44

Post by Altair44 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:03 am

The movie SUCKED. IF you've seen the cartoon ones, you know what I mean.

invertin

Post by invertin » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:58 am

Altair44 wrote:The movie SUCKED. IF you've seen the cartoon ones, you know what I mean.
I've seen reviews from people who haven't seen the cartoons that also said it sucked. In fact I have not seen a single positive review of the movie anywhere.

This other new thing looks alright though.

carlston

Post by carlston » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:12 am

I didn't like Avatar at all

Egan

Post by Egan » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:32 am

:shock:
this is white!

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:19 am

Okay. I did. Whatever.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:11 am

To reiterate the by-now obvious: Avatar the series was pretty well done, and deserves plenty of praise for the execution of the whole thing.
The film was (probably) absolute rubbish. I never watched it myself, but just seeing the trailers made me groan and want to faceplant the desk several times. Or better yet, headbutt the guy who decided that it was a good idea to make it.

However, here there's a mention of a cartoon spinoff series of the original series? I must say I'm intruiged. I hope it's as well done as the main story.
Renegade_Turner wrote:Has anyone actually seen the new(-er) FMA series? Heard that it was pretty good too. Although I think they could have left it where it was. But alas, profitability.
If you do mean Brotherhood, then no, they couldn't have left it where it was. The new series was not so much made for profi- Ahahah, what am I saying, Yes, additionally to being made for profit, the main reason for rebooting the series was because the first anime completely failed to follow the manga, because at that time the manga wasn't finished yet.

The storyline in the manga is far far better than in one in the first anime series, imo, and it rightfully deserved to have a proper anime made out of it. The downside is that the start of the Brotherhood anime is a little hurried and misses bits out because otherwise they'd be exactly the damn same at the first part.
They're still pretty damn similar now, but meh.

I do recommend it, though. It gets especially good once the whole plot comes together.

Edit: Woah. Completely failed to notice the lovely little bit of necromancy there.
I suppose being gone for a while does that to people.
/derp

Uberbeard

Post by Uberbeard » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:08 am

I didn't think the first series did a bad job, considering that the Manga hadn't been finished. After reading it, and then watching FMA a couple of times, I'm not sure I could manage to watch Brotherhood.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:43 am

For a second there I thought that Invertin fellow was back. Then I realised I was looking at a drastic case of thread resurrection.

It's kind of funny to read my own archly dismissive comment given that I have since watched Avatar:TLA and unironically (albeit very self-consciously) enjoyed it.

The film was thoroughly meh. Too much plot packed into too little time and garnished with rather uninspired acting. The film's special effects got a bit of praise but I found myself unimpressed.

(No idea what this FMA thing is.)

Uberbeard

Post by Uberbeard » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:59 am

Yeah, it's one of my favourites.
FMA - Full Metal Alchemist.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:47 am

Glabbit wrote:However, here there's a mention of a cartoon spinoff series of the original series? I must say I'm intruiged. I hope it's as well done as the main story.
Yes, it's coming, probably in Fall of 2012. I'm not sure of the exact details any more - originally it was supposed to be a miniseries with less than 24 episodes, but I'm not sure what it's going to be now.

It will be different. Remember how the first series had some technical progress during it, thank to the Machinist? Well, in the new series, these war inventions have been taken into civil use and it may end up looking like steampunk.

In addition, there's cities where people from all the nations mingle. You remember the episodes with THE BOULDER, where THE BOULDER fought in an arena, making fun of some real world sports? Well, something like that is back, but with a mixed group of martial styles. So there's probably going to be some sort of elemental MMA with teams of three.

What else... Oh, it's about 70 years to the future, not centuries. The main cast is either all dead, or mostly dead, but there's lots of people alive who've talked to, and learned from them. That means that, among other things, some of those special skills the protagonists acquired in the old series could have been passed on...

Hmm, what else... ah, there's flying bisons, and also winged lemurs (think Appa and Momo), but they're not the same species, and have different markings.

Oh right, almost forgot. The non-benders have been acting up. How it's possible to piss off the guys whose main thing is to punch fire, rock or water into submission, AND not end up dead, hasn't been explained yet I think. Still, there were some cool non-bender people in the first series too, so I guess it could work.