Being good company.

Anything else
Zhukov

Being good company.

Post by Zhukov » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:09 am

So... I recently become the proud owner of a copy of Battlefield: Bad Company 2.

I just finished forcing myself through the atrocious single player campaign, mostly because I am an idiot. Now embarking upon the much better multiplayer.

I am aware that this forum is frequented by several avid players of this particular game and I was wondering if any of you might be able to offer some tips to this humble newbie so that I may be less of a liability to whichever team must bear the misfortune of my presence.

In particular, what is a good weapon to unlock for the medic? His starter LMGs don't seem to be up to much.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Re: Being good company.

Post by Grayswandir » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:39 am

The SAW249 should hold you over for a while once you unlock it, I believe its the 3rd gun the Medic unlocks.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:55 am

just don't move while shooting and it should be good.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:57 am

Another question: what exactly is a "hardcore" server?

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:38 am

In a Hardcore server:
-There is no HUD (ammo/health count)
-The Radar and Map are off
-You regenerate less health and it regenerates slower
-You can kill people with two or three bullets (or less) depending on the gun
-Team damage is on

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:17 am

Once you go Hardcore... you never go back.

I believe the Bad Company 2 Multiplayer has gone to ruins, in the same manner as Modern Warfare 2 did. Hackers, they are everywhere. Image

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:06 pm

Not really. People usually blame their poor skill on hackers. lol. In fact, there's pretty much no glitches left in either game that anyone's aware of. I find MW2 and BC2 to be quite a great experience, in fact in the last 3 or 4 weeks I've rediscovered my love of MW2 with the aid of the new map packs. BC2 also periodically releases new maps for different game modes, which is pretty neat.

As for BC2, use the natural cover a lot, such as underbrush and so on. There are some trees you can actually jump into in certain levels which provide good sniping cover.

If you're looking to take down a tank, 2 C4 stuck to the side or back is your best bet. I've taken down over a 1000 tanks using this tactic. Maybe a 1000 is an exaggeration but somewhere close to that. A lot, anyway.

If you're looking to take down a chopper, either Tracer Dart and RPG it down, or don't bother. If you don't hit a chopper with a tracer dart, you're not going to hit it with a rocket. Tracer darts are the only way of locking on to a target in BC2. If there's an anti-aircraft turret available those are incredibly handy, and choppers can cause a lot of mayhem so if you have the opportunity take them down as soon as possible.

When some people are playing as medic they get caught up with reviving team-mates using the defribrillators, so much so that they will blindly run out into an open field with no cover and plenty of enemies just to revive a downed squad-mate, which ultimately leads to both the reviver and the revived being sitting ducks, and usually just ends up with both parties being killed immediately thereafter. If you're going to revive a squad mate, make sure there's plenty of cover and make sure it's going to be advantageous to the cause rather than just reviving for the sake of getting more points. One time, a guy revived me, I got killed straight away, he revived me again, him AND me got killed straight away. That's 3 easy kills given away to the other team just because of some guy wanting more points for his Medic class. It doesn't help.

The M60 is a pretty solid LMG to use if you're looking to be the medic. Personally, if it's taking down infantry you're talking about, the Medic class is the most efficient. It also depends on your playstyle, but the LMG's are quite powerful, quite accurate and have at least 100 rounds. The only problem is the extremely slow reload times and the fact that Medics are the only class which is unable to use any form of explosive device. This means the medic is the only class which can't blow up a tank or any other vehicle.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:10 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:Not really. People usually blame their poor skill on hackers. lol. In fact, there's pretty much no glitches left in either game that anyone's aware of. I find MW2 and BC2 to be quite a great experience, in fact in the last 3 or 4 weeks I've rediscovered my love of MW2 with the aid of the new map packs. BC2 also periodically releases new maps for different game modes, which is pretty neat.
Freshbite may have been talking about the PC version instead of the Xbox 360 version. Hacking is more prevalent in the Windows version. But yeah, as you said, most of the glitches have been wiped out....although you can still Defib people through thin walls... :twisted:
As for BC2, use the natural cover a lot, such as underbrush and so on. There are some trees you can actually jump into in certain levels which provide good sniping cover.
This is especially true of Hardcore mode. I've been able to defend an objective from a small bush using a silenced weapon and grenades.
If you're looking to take down a tank, 2 C4 stuck to the side or back is your best bet. I've taken down over a 1000 tanks using this tactic. Maybe a 1000 is an exaggeration but somewhere close to that. A lot, anyway.
Watching you run suicidally at tanks is hilarious. :wink:
But you get the job done...as bodies ragdoll and fly every-which-way. :mrgreen:
If you're looking to take down a chopper, either Tracer Dart and RPG it down, or don't bother. If you don't hit a chopper with a tracer dart, you're not going to hit it with a rocket. Tracer darts are the only way of locking on to a target in BC2. If there's an anti-aircraft turret available those are incredibly handy, and choppers can cause a lot of mayhem so if you have the opportunity take them down as soon as possible.
Ignore the homing missile turrets, they're good against chopper pilots (and tanks on occasion) that stand still, but any good pilot won't be sitting around for long. The new maps have these horribly powerful miniguns that are insane, and are great for taking out anything from light vehicles to aircraft. As for RPGs, the Gustav with a Tracer Dart lock is awesome for taking out choppers. It may be the weakest RPG, but it has the biggest explosion radius (even without the Explosives Upgrade), moves the fastest, and is the least affected by gravity. One direct Gustav hit will usually down a chopper.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:22 pm

Grayswandir wrote:Hacking is more prevalent in the Windows version.
Sadly. All of my fellow party-members have stopped playing.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:52 pm

Make new friends online.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:04 pm

Grayswandir wrote:In a Hardcore server:
-Team damage is on
But... but... how do I find patients to heal/revive without the minimap? Hell, they can be hard to find with the map.
If it wasn't for that, I would happily play hardcore.
Renegade_Turner wrote:When some people are playing as medic they get caught up with reviving team-mates using the defribrillators, so much so that they will blindly run out into an open field with no cover and plenty of enemies just to revive a downed squad-mate...
Heh. That's me right there. Although my motivations are less "must get points" and more [TF2 Heavy voice] "medic must be credit to team!"
I had one guy who got sniped in a doorway. I revived him from cover, only to have him immediately sniped again. And again. And again four more times. Only stopped when (presumably) the sniper had to reload.
Renegade_Turner wrote:The only problem is the extremely slow reload times and the fact that Medics are the only class which is unable to use any form of explosive device. This means the medic is the only class which can't blow up a tank or any other vehicle.
Ya. That's a pain. Although, desperately running/hiding from a tank while yelling for an engie is kinda fun.

Anyway, thanks for the tips.
Freshbite wrote:
Grayswandir wrote:Hacking is more prevalent in the Windows version.
Sadly. All of my fellow party-members have stopped playing.
I play the PC version. Haven't seen anything suspicious yet.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Re:

Post by Grayswandir » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:07 pm

Zhukov wrote:
Grayswandir wrote:In a Hardcore server:
-Team damage is on
But... but... how do I find patients to heal/revive without the minimap? Hell, they can be hard to find with the map.
If it wasn't for that, I would happily play hardcore.
They appear on your screen, just not on the mini-map. Just like squadmates and teammates appear as green and blue triangles in your main view.

Freshbite

Re:

Post by Freshbite » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:32 am

Zhukov wrote:I play the PC version. Haven't seen anything suspicious yet.
I have to admit, I haven't really played the game in over 2 months.
Perhaps it has cooled down, been patched or in some other way, fixed.

I have to try it out after work. Perhaps it's playable again.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:43 pm

Okay, another question.

I just unlocked the tracer-dart-gun... thing. I'm not sure how it works.

I was under the impression that if I stuck a dart to an enemy vehicle then any RPGs or rockets fired by me or my teammates would seek out that vehicle. However, that does not appear to be the case. Several times now I have darted a helicopter then fired at it and my rockets still miss by miles.

Am I missing something here?

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:34 am

You have to wait for the RPG to lock on. Once the numbers appear on your screen below the little orange diamond, you have a lock.