Suggestion for swordfighting in Overgrowth

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Jacktheawesome

Suggestion for swordfighting in Overgrowth

Post by Jacktheawesome » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:43 am

Just in case you Wolfire-y type fellows feel like a suggestion or two, here ya go. So basically I noticed from playing Lugaru that sword combat boiled down to reversal, counter reversal, maybe a parry or two, but it was very hard to get a slice in without being reversed. Unlike the rest of the perfectly logical control layouts you set up for all the other weapons (including unarmed) I feel like the sword fighting layout could be tweaked from it's predecessor, in the event that you guys were planning to keep it the same. So what I would suggest is that when you tap shift for reversal when holding a sword, you parry, instead of drop the sword you're holding and replace it with your newly confiscated one. The attack-to-parry configuration works with the staffs because they're so big, but you can get a slice in around a sword without hitting your opponent's sword. So when holding a sword left-click would slice or stab, and shift-tap would parry. You can't really reverse with a sword in your hand anyways so why not just reserve the sword confiscating for when you're unarmed? Obviously in the case of reversals the same would go for staffs, it would be even harder to reverse a staff attack when you're holding one than it would be for swords. Now I know there will be a much larger variety of weapons in Overgrowth than in Lugaru, so this may not hold up equally for all of them. I'm sure you guys know what you're doing anyways, but just thought I'd throw my very long-winded two cents out there =)

Endoperez

Re: Suggestion for swordfighting in Overgrowth

Post by Endoperez » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:08 am

Something like this has been suggested before, but it's good that it's pointed out once more. The swordfighting didn't work as well as the unarmed combat, in Lugaru.

I'd like to see swordfighting made to be about counters and counterattacks. I don't know how the controls would work, perhaps correct timing and positioning could somehow be part of it, but it would be awesome if long plays of counters and counter-counters were possible.

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:21 am

Your talking about swords and staffs has got me wondering, am I the only one who thinks it would be really cool if like, you have a staff, someone comes at you with a sword, they slash, you use the momentum to simultaneously swing your arms around, therefore negating their blow, and use their slashing force to chop your one long, hard to use staff, into two kick ass sticks of doom?! :lol:

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:52 pm

Escrima, probably the most famous fighting style that uses two sticks, uses rather shortish sticks. The two sticks you'd be left with would be too long to be paired.

From a gameplay point of view, you probably chose a staff instead of a pair of short sticks for a reason, so it would probably feel weird suddenly wiedling a totally different weapon.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:02 pm

On the other hand, from a realism point of view, it is possible that such a thing could really happen and shouldn't the character have a martial skillset prepared for every situation?

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:05 pm

Assassin's Creed II had something like that.

If you tried to parry a heavy weapon with a long weapon (a pike or halberd) the pole would get shattered and you would be left wielding the half with the head on it, which handled like a standard weapon.

It worked pretty well.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:47 pm

That would be awesome.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:45 pm

I actually looked into if it was even possible before my last post. Since you'd have trouble cutting through a staff with an axe, when the staff was held in place, in one strike, it's impossible with a sword - in one strike.

That said, when the dog weapons were designed "lopping heads off of spears" was considered a possibility.
http://blog.wolfire.com/2009/03/dog-wea ... wo-blades/

Note that it implies the spear or halberd-user being left with the part of the weapon without the weapon-head on it. That feels more sensible, too - why would you be keeping the dangerous end of the weapon close to yourself?

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:32 pm

Ah yes I do remember reading that post. On a different note have you guys thought about possibly having Turner (or whatever his name will be) sustain injury on big drops if you don't make him roll on landing? I noticed that in Lugaru Turner would sort of do a ground slam on really big drops, which any Parkour expert will tell you is just asking for broken bones.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:34 pm

This is pretty much what you're talking about:

DJisbored

Post by DJisbored » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:19 pm

have you guys thought about possibly having Turner (or whatever his name will be) sustain injury on big drops if you don't make him roll on landing?

Well, he is a rabbit. I know they don't make a habit of jumping off random 80 foot blocks in the middle of a forest, but when they do jump larger heights they don't tuck and roll.
I guess Turner exaggerates that quite a bit, though.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:23 pm

Well, he is a rabbit. I know they don't make a habit of jumping off random 80 foot blocks in the middle of a forest but when they do jump larger heights they don't tuck and roll
Well they don't swordfight or spinkick either but that doesn't seem to stop Wolfire :P
Turner is anthropomorphic Dj.
Yes Renegade, that's exactly what I'm talking about

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:41 am

DJisbored wrote:Well, he is a rabbit. I know they don't make a habit of jumping off random 80 foot blocks in the middle of a forest but when they do jump larger heights they don't tuck and roll.
I think the laws have to be altered slightly considering that this is not real life and these are not real rabbits, they're anthropomorphic creatures. They don't use their front paws for running anymore. Different rules must apply.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:37 pm

>I noticed that in Lugaru Turner would sort of do a ground slam on really big drops,

Not that rolling would really help survive those giant drops. It adds challenge to levels with platforms raised like 300 feet in the sky. Also, even in real-life Parkour, you can't magically survive unscathed by rolling from a huge jump. Try and get some freerunning pro to jump off the empire state building. "What? You can't survive that? But you could just roll when you hit the ground!"

>They don't use their front paws for running anymore.

Unless you animal run. Speaking of animal running, it's also broke; rabbits hop by pushing with their hind paws and landing primarily on their front paws. The Lugaru rabbits and wolves run like cheetahs, swinging their hind legs ahead of their front legs whenever they make a bound.

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:21 pm

Wow, you spend way too much time staring at that rabbit's running patterns!