Do you still play old games?

Anything else
Jackrabbit

Do you still play old games?

Post by Jackrabbit » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:01 pm

What's up fella's, I was bored so I jumped out of my chair looking around my room trying to find a good pc game to install when I suddenly tripped over my bag(I'm a sloth when it comes to cleaning) and fell right in front of my ps1 games :lol:
So I thought "for old times sake, I'll play one of these goodies" and picked out one of the best(classic) games I have ever played: Soul Reaver
When I started to get into it again I was reminded of how good the old games actually were, some.. no actually most were even better than those next gen flashy titles.(no offense to Overgrowth though, that's gonna be epic!)
So with that boring story out of the way I wanted to ask of you to name your top 3(any number you want really) of old games that you think are fucking awesome! (1 being the best) and perhaps a reason why you think they are/were "fucking awesome!".
Mine are:

3. crash bendicoot 1(god knows how much I loved playing this one xD)
2. bloody roar 1(great fighting game)
1. Soul Reaver 1(..Don't get me started on this one, it's just 'tears of happiness' great)

Freshbite

Re: Do you still play old games?

Post by Freshbite » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:30 pm

Ah, I knew this question would come, some day.
I recently played through Ocarina of Time for the Nintendo 64. It's always just as epic as the previous time I played it.

• Shadow of The Colossus -- PS
    • Marvelous fun, wonderful story.
  • Ocarina of Time -- N64
    • Everyone knows why this game is awesome.
  • Pokémon Silver / Ruby -- GB / GBA
    • The first two games I every played through entirely.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:31 pm

1.Parasite Eve (PSX)
- Awesome sci-fi story with an awesome turn-based/action RPG style system. The sequel kinda stank, but I played it anyway.
2. Actraiser (SNES)
- You're a God, you kill demons, you save villagers, you make a town, and you fly around as a naked cupid shooting arrows at more demons. Fuck yes.
3. Mario Kart 64 (N64)
- Bowser (well, any heavy class racer) can still 3-hit KO you by touching you if you let him during a Battle Royal. Good times.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:15 pm

PC
  • Warzone 2100 - Awesome RTS with pretty streamlined gameplay and a cool feature that allows you to mix and match the parts of various units, allowing a lot of combination. The original blew, but it was recently "Resurrected" and can be played for free since it is abandonware.
  • Black Shades - Hey, it's pretty old :v Still fun to play, since I figured out how to make custom levels.
  • Halo: Combat Evolved - Recently played through the campaign for the first time this summer. Online is OK but a lot of the guys on there are douchebags, so uh, eh.
PSX
  • SaGa Frontier / SaGa Frontier 2 - Two RPGs that, while technically being part of a series, are pretty different from each other. The first features 7 different quests undertaken by 7 different protagonists, with hours of side quests and extras tucked in. The second is a beautiful hand-drawn, water-painted RPG that defied the 3D graphics of its time by providing a fun and pretty fantasy experience.
  • Metal Gear Solid - METAL GEEEEEAAAAR
  • Chrono Trigger / Chrono Cross - etc
  • Legend Of Dragoon - I'm actually halfway through a playthrough right now. Coo' RPG with some stellar graphics (for its time) and an intuitive combat system that combines skill with strategy.
  • Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere - Still fun as hell, but severely debilitated compared to the Japanese release. Few cutscenes, no voice acting, limited missions, no developed characters, whereas the Japanese version featured anime-style cutscenes, plenty of radio chatter, more missions, squadron mates, and even something like four different endings. I hear there's a translation project going on to bring the original JP release to emulators, but I CBA to check it out.
PS2
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 - METAL GEEEEEAAAAR
  • Metal Gear Solid 3 - META- er, I mean, SHAGOHOOOOOOD
  • Ace Combat 4 + 5 - Pewpew zoomzoom
  • Mercenaries - Shooting North Koreans in the face NEVER gets old.
  • Grand Theft Auto III, Vice City, San Andreas - See above, but replace "North Koreans" with "People from New York, Miami, and California" respectively.
  • Shadow Of The Colossus - Definition of epic.
  • Star Wars Battlefront 1+2 - :mrgreen:
  • Soul Calibur 2 - To date, the only one I have played, hurf.

Jackrabbit

Post by Jackrabbit » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:45 pm

Wow, a few of these games I don't even know about :oops:
I think I might check a few of these out later, to see what I've been missing :lol:

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:43 pm

Grayswandir wrote:1.Parasite Eve (PSX)
- Awesome sci-fi story with an awesome turn-based/action RPG style system. The sequel kinda stank, but I played it anyway.
2. Actraiser (SNES)
- You're a God, you kill demons, you save villagers, you make a town, and you fly around as a naked cupid shooting arrows at more demons. Fuck yes.
3. Mario Kart 64 (N64)
- Bowser (well, any heavy class racer) can still 3-hit KO you by touching you if you let him during a Battle Royal. Good times.
Actraiser was one of my all time favorite games ever, the second one, not so much. I occasionally pull out the sega genesis version of Prince of Persia, though I really pine for the mac version I grew up with. Other than that I'll pull out random old games all the time, to the extent that people sometimes refuse to believe I have any new ones.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:00 pm

How old? I was just playing RA2 and Tachyon today ...

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:15 am

Yes.

Some of the games I have installed on my computer (although obviously I haven't been playing all of them): Prince of Persia (1989), Settlers 2, System Shock 1, Dungeon Keeper 1, Ultima 7 on Exult, Lemmings, Liero, Lost Vikings, Scorched Earth (the cannon shooting game also known as The Mother of All Games), Indiana Jones games The Last Crusade and something of Atlantis, Lure of the Temptress (1992 adventure game), Monkey Island 1 and 2, Ringworld (although it doesn't work on my computer ATM), Albion, Betrayal at Krondor, Heroes of Might and Magic 1, Master of Magic, Master of Orion, Stronghold (1993 fantasy strategy game based on 1st ed D&D), Warcraft 1, Transport Tycoon, Jagged Alliance 1 and X-Com 1. I also have some other oldies, but I haven't properly tried them so I didn't list them. Oh, I almost forgot I also have Loom, the first two Abe's Odyssee games and X-Com Apocalypse. Oh, and Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. I also bought Planescape: Torment recently, but it isn't installed right now.

Jackrabbit

Post by Jackrabbit » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:25 am

Assaultman67 wrote:How old? I was just playing RA2 and Tachyon today ...
As old as you want xD, also kind of gives us the idea of what you yourself consider an old game :P

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:22 am

Ragdollmaster wrote:PSX
  • SaGa Frontier / SaGa Frontier 2 - Two RPGs that, while technically being part of a series, are pretty different from each other. The first features 7 different quests undertaken by 7 different protagonists, with hours of side quests and extras tucked in. The second is a beautiful hand-drawn, water-painted RPG that defied the 3D graphics of its time by providing a fun and pretty fantasy experience.
PS2
  • Star Wars Battlefront 1+2 - :mrgreen:
WHERE'S MY LOVE BUTTON?

Actually playing Battlefront 1 and 2 at the moment on my XBox 360, my friend gave me a lend of them. Finished Battlefront in a day, now in Battlefront 2, kinda got sidetracked by Oblivion though.

And I never played Saga Frontier 1. =[ I loved Saga Frontier 2 though...really non-linear storytelling and I loved the graphical style, like you said. The story's kinda sad though. Gustave. =[ I commend it for not being one of those happy ever after games though.

Jendraz

Post by Jendraz » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:17 am

1) Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1)
2) Ocarina of Time (64)
3) Final Fantasy III* (SNES)

*U.S. version

SaGa Frontier would probably be up there if I hadn't kept losing the game when I was younger.

Kombine

Post by Kombine » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:31 pm

I play old games from time to time. Here are some of my favorites:

Arcade (I own some of these games that were ported to console)
King of Fighters series
Fatal Fury series
Art of Fighting series
Samurai Shodown series
The Last Blade 1 & 2
Metal Slug series
Aerofighters series
Breaker's Revenge
World Heroes series
Street Fighter series
Final Fight
Darkstalkers series
Marvel vs. Capcom 1 & 2
Capcom vs SNK 1 & 2

PC games
Blood 1 & 2
Jazz Jackrabbit 1 & 2
One Must Fall: 2097
Operation Flashpoint
S.W.A.T. 3
Giants: Citizen Kabuto
Armed and Dangerous
Jagged Alliance 2
Rainbow Six 1 & Rouge Spear
Ghost Recon 1
Commandos 1 & 2
Army Men 1 & 2
Cannon Fodder

Console
PS1&2: Klonoa 1 & 2, Bloody Roar series, Bushido Blade 1 & 2, Heart of Darkness, Galerians, Parasite Eve, Castlevania:SOTN, Loaded, Rising Zan-The Samurai Gunman, Parappa the Rapper 1 & 2, Guilty Gear series

There are some more that I haven't listed, mostly for N64, SNES, NES, and Genesis, but didn't want to make the list too long.

Jackrabbit

Post by Jackrabbit » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:56 pm

Kombine wrote:There are some more that I haven't listed, mostly for N64, SNES, NES, and Genesis, but didn't want to make the list too long.
That's okay, IMO you can name as many as you want

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:03 pm

@R_T: Yeah, Gustave was pretty damn badass for somebody who used to think of himself as being "less than a rock". Talk about a change of self-esteem. Wil is like Solid Snake, he's kicking butt even when he's a decrepit old dinosaur- gotta love that. "What's that, sweetie? You're going to save the world? OH, TAKE GRANDPA ALONG TOO :>"

Also, GUSTAF <3

SaGa Frontier 1 was epic in its own ways. Not quite as emotional, but still a lot of fun. Blends the multiple worlds concept to combine futuristic cities with mythological planes and the like. Instead of having attacks that you can learn with duel combos, like in SF2, there's a pretty subtle system of development- you basically use attacks over and over again and gradually learn similar moves. Eg, when using Double Slash you might end up learning Gale Blade or something. Magic is even cooler; instead of elemental magic ala SF2, there is:

Realm / Mystic
Light / Shadow
Rune / Arcane
Mind / Evil
Time / Space
Heart / Mirage

They are all opposites to one another. You cannot have both magic types of a subset (with the exception of one of the protagonists, Blue, who learns every magic type, but that's special.) Most characters can also only learn Realm/Mystic, Light/Shadow, and Rune/Arcane; Mind/Evil come preset with some characters (and Blue), Time/Space do as well, Heart/Mirage are only available for purchase in a certain world that's a bit tricky to get to, especially with some characters. Also, instead of just humans, there are four races; Humans (Level up normally ala using skills), Mystics (Partially level up like humans but also have to absorb monsters now and then with magical equipment), Robots (Do not level up at all, their stats are influenced by their inventory; they can be extremely powerful, and are not affected by many status ailments, but they're also a bit of a pain to maintain), and Monsters (My personal favorite, they can absorb an ability of a monster after defeating it to get a bunch of random abilities; they morph and change forms, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse, when certain combinations of abilities are achieved.)

It's definitely lengthier than SaGa Frontier 2- each quest can take five or six hours to finish, usually more, so there's definitely at least 35 hours of gameplay in there, not counting the side quests etc which would probably boost it up to around 40. The quests all have varying endings (some have multiple endings, too) ranging from the joyous to the enraging, so it adds a nice element of unpredictability.

One thing I will say, though, is that a lot of times you will find yourself doing similar stuff between playthroughs- recruiting the same characters, fighting the same side quest bosses, leveling up the same techniques, etc. It's pretty easy to avoid it with the protagonists, as they're all fairly different from each other (one's a swordsman, one's a mage, one's a gunner chick, one's a mystic, one's a robot, one's a cute-as-hell monster, etc)

I can hook you up with a virtual copy of SaGa Frontier 1 if you want, assuming you have a PSX emulator that can run it :P

underthedeep

Post by underthedeep » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:14 pm

current old roster.

FFVII - complete
FFVIII - 4th disk
FFIX - needs to start

i just figured i would beat my old solid 3 on my playstation two.
i've been pretty bored lately and i love beating those FF games, no matter how many times i've played them.

lovely lovely final fantsy :)