What was your first RPG game?

Anything else
Ere Was I

Re: What was your first RPG game?

Post by Ere Was I » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:19 pm

I think the first RPG I ever finished was Golden Sun on the Game Boy Advance.

I remember getting it from my friend whose dad was a preacher and made him give it away. He told his dad that it was about the four elements and he immediately called it pagan or something and made him get rid of it. Good times.

Dudeman

Post by Dudeman » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:59 am

Neverwinter Nights. It was fucking EPiC, and remains so to this day. In fact, I just re-installed it for a new playthrough with my brother.

Vibhor

Post by Vibhor » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:59 am

Dragon quest 1
Or maybe it was bards tale.
I am calling on both, select anyone that is older.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:55 am

Vibhor wrote:Dragon quest 1
Oh the frustration. I think that may have been my first JRPG (other than Pokemon). Man was that hellish.

On second thought, it may have been Dragon Quest 2. One of the early ones.

I think slimes are my most hated enemy now though haha.

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:57 pm

First proper RPG game I played?...

Mass Effect, I was a bit late with the whole playing RPGs thing...

I don't even know if Mass Effect counts as an RPG... Oh well :roll:

Zimode

Post by Zimode » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:21 pm

Humm lets see my first rpg was Dungeon Siege(i played other games before that one but they werent realy mine...)

SilentSouth

Post by SilentSouth » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:14 am

Neverwinter Nights, such a classic Bioware game.

Cadrega

Post by Cadrega » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:09 am

I just remember it was an incredibly old dungeon crawler. The first RPG I played that I remember the name was Ultima 8. And later on, having played the predecessors, I realised why people don't like it. :lol:
Then there's the classics, like the always great Betrayal at Krondor and then Baldur's Gate.
Oh and Daggerfall. Can't forget Daggerfall and the infinite dungeons of insanity. :roll:

Ench

Post by Ench » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:16 am

Something between the Tibia-looking like Ultima or Morrowind, I don't really remember :|

Healey

Post by Healey » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:21 am

Ocarina of Time. can't believe nobody's mentioned that, that game had me playing days on end

mycathasrabies

Post by mycathasrabies » Sun May 01, 2011 2:47 am

I think it was....Quest for Glory IV: Dragon Fire

It was pretty awesome....but I was scared to beat the game because it was EXTREMELY hard and you'd get killed by dragons and hard monsters if you venture off.

You could mug guards with a nightstick and kill random people...basically an old school gta....with magic :mrgreen:

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Sun May 01, 2011 8:33 am

Healey wrote:Ocarina of Time. can't believe nobody's mentioned that, that game had me playing days on end
I believe the reason for not mentioning it is either because they don't qualify it as an RPG, which it kind of isn't, or because it isn't the first game of its kind that they've played.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun May 01, 2011 10:13 am

Ocarina Of Time is NOT an RPG!

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun May 01, 2011 11:35 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:Ocarina Of Time is NOT an RPG!
It belongs to the same genre as the other console and computer RPGs. It has a main protagonist who starts rather weak, grows in power by completing quests and talking to people, and saves the world in the end. I don't think those are the specific features which make it an RPG, but that does sound very much like what are sold as RPG games.

Of course, a genre that has everything from Diablo (action-RPG) to Planescape: Torment (RPG) to Xenogears (turn-based RPG) to Disgaea (tactical RPG) to World of Warcraft (MMO RPG) to Mass Effect (a different type of action-RPG) tells nothing about the games belonging to it. Some games are turn-based, some realtime; some feature a fixed overhead camera, some 3rd-person or 1st-person gameplay. In many, you grow stronger by collecting XP, spirits or something similar that's collected from enemies, while in others, only your equipment is upgraded. In many, you upgrade both in "levels" and in equipment. Often, but not always, levels are keyed to classes. Sometimes the main protagonist is alone, often working with a team. Sometimes the story and the world are written well and you can imagine yourself exploring a strange new world; sometimes, the combat mechanics are the main draw.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sun May 01, 2011 11:47 am

If you want to be a stickler for literalism, technically any game that makes you play as a protagonist which is not yourself is a "role playing game", because you play in their role. Durr. But there's obvious connotative meanings to the RPG genre- games that have a party of protagonists who grow and develop through the use of experience, or XP, whatever you want to call it, whose stats are affected by their equipment and who can perform certain abilities and attacks, with a typically linear storyline.