Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Korban3

Re: Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Post by Korban3 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:39 am

Haha, well I haven't done anything with animations or rotations in OG yet, so you're ahead of me on that front. Also found the blog post about blend shapes while I was reading the linear algebra ones, and digging through all those old gold nuggets. I was totally unsure what to do about those, but all I have to do is make new .obj files and the it only moves vertices that have moved, and won't affect the texture, so now I can at least have the fax and raptor make fists.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:18 am

That was pretty simple, once I realized that editing the "movement.xml" file doesn't have any effect because rabbit's use "r_movement.xml"... Doh!

I posted some stuff in the showoff thread. Also, pity, I was hoping you'd have already tried out the animation exporting. :D

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:57 pm

Haha, yeah. Well, that's cool. I haven't tried installing your mini mod yet, but I'd like to make the animations for it sometime. I think I'll work on the bird mount's animations first so I can figure out how to make it happen. Or maybe I'll start experimenting with the animations for your mod first so that the bird's come out better. I dunno, but I think I'll put the raptor on the back burner for now. His tail and minor skinning errors are going to require me to completely rerig him by hand, and I don't want to right now. Maybe some other time, I'll work on getting him playable. For right now, I guess we can call him the first dedicated OG NPC. "The Raptor: Putting new meaning to the phrase Non Playable Character" I guess I'll download and install your mod, and look at what animations it needs. That ok?

Jellydonut

Post by Jellydonut » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:09 pm

Maybe there could be a little first-person hotkey or option. Just for fun.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:12 pm

I think someone made a mod for that a while back. Just a small camera code change I think. And it happens in the character code, so you can change it in real time.

Krabman318

Post by Krabman318 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:13 pm

There was a mod for that.
Edit:
Korban3 beat me to it.
Last edited by Krabman318 on Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:22 pm

Yup, those're the ones I was talking about. Not sure if their still compatible, but why not give 'em a shot? I actually had an idea for a more advanced first person mode, but it's a little beyond my programming skills.

dvizll

Post by dvizll » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:21 pm

multiplayer w/ranks
locked in fight like real life people who box in rings
steam dl content.. :lol:

quietthomas

RANDOM MISSION GENERATOR

Post by quietthomas » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:59 am

I've been playing Soldier of Fortune 2... almost a DECADE since it's release... and I'm still playing it. Just sayin.

Also, I know there will be a level editor - just not sure I can be bothered with doing much more than setting variables before awesome fast paced bunny martial arts action Action ACTION!!

So yeah, random mission/level generator with a Worms3D style setting of variables.

What do others think of this idea :?: :?: :?:

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:04 am

That's not a bad idea, but I'm not sure how it would work with the current system Wolfire has for creating levels. I couldn't do it, but David might be able to figure that out if they wanted that feature.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:52 pm

dvizll wrote:multiplayer w/ranks
locked in fight like real life people who box in rings
steam dl content.. :lol:
Locked-in fighting wouldn't really work for OG's system, as you would have to lock and unlock quickly for the sometimes 3+ enemies attacking you simultaneously. Locked-in fighting only works in games where enemies wait their turn to attack you.
Multiplayer ranking is not a bad idea, as long as (A There is actually multiplayer :P , and (B It is purely skill-based (fastest level time, highest score, etc.). There will be no leveling in OG.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:23 am

Jacktheawesome wrote:Locked-in fighting wouldn't really work for OG's system, as you would have to lock and unlock quickly for the sometimes 3+ enemies attacking you simultaneously. Locked-in fighting only works in games where enemies wait their turn to attack you.
I thought he meant that you fight someone inside a cage that has been locked so you can't get out. It'd have to be pretty big because so much of OG combat is based on maneuvering and movement.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:15 pm

lol That's what I though too Endo. I was all like, "Well that's why Aubrey made an arena, silly."

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:45 am

Huh. I missed that. Looking back, that is probably what he meant :oops:
People have posted about that, about the idea of having to lock onto opponents before attacking (like you would in a 1v1 boxing game), so there was the confusion.

Fidchell

Post by Fidchell » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:16 pm

I'd love to see things like this if you manage to sneak up behind an enemy's back.