My wishes for Overgrowth

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
emrekabadayi

My wishes for Overgrowth

Post by emrekabadayi » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:14 am

*Bots can throw weapons.
*Rabbits can carry more than one weapon.
*Optimization
*Different Animals
*Different features of each character (Different attack moves etc.)
*Big City (Rabbit Publics)
*MULTIPLAYER (CO-OP)
*Sprint Skill
This suggestions for the future of the game. Not for now.:)

Korban3

Re: My wishes for Overgrowth

Post by Korban3 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:42 am

Well, it seems like most of this list is either already in or a given.
*Bots can throw weapons.
Seems like a given to me.
*Rabbits can carry more than one weapon.
David is working on this for an alpha soon, I think.
*Optimization
Definitely going to happen, but David is saving most of it for much later in development.
*Different Animals
Yup: Rats, cats, dogs, wolves and rabbits. But you can also make your own characters. I've made a fox, a raptor and two otters that crash the game :evil: Oh, they looked so much nicer than the raptor and fox too :'(
*Different features of each character (Different attack moves etc.)
Actually, some of the characters do have different attack sets. Turner does roundhouse kicks while the other characters do back kicks, or the wolf does his wolf slap thing.
*Big City (Rabbit Publics)
I'm not sure what David and Aubrey have planned for this sort of thing. I know it's not going to be open world, but I wonder how big the any city levels might end up being.
*MULTIPLAYER (CO-OP)
It is in, but only local co-op using an XBox 360 controller (although I believe you can emulate a PS3 one to work)
*Sprint Skill
I'm not sure if sprinting is necessary. The characters already run at a faster-than-human sprint, so it seems to me to be extraneous to have them run even faster.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:07 am

What he said basically.

Psycho Society

Post by Psycho Society » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:14 pm

Hopefully we'll be able to run animal style like in Lugaru. That's like sprint, but cooler and more beastly.

underthedeep

Post by underthedeep » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:18 pm

Psycho Society wrote:Hopefully we'll be able to run animal style like in Lugaru. That's like sprint, but cooler and more beastly.
+1 tackle was way awesome

Gelsamel

Post by Gelsamel » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:45 am

My wishes for Overgrowth so far are few, because the game looks so freakin' awesome so far.

My first wish is the ability to have persistant characters not that everything about the game should be persistant but just that if people want to make a set of maps that are interconnected and offer and persistant experience then the modder should be able to make it like that. If that could include currency and buying and trading and a living and breathing world with AI for characters of all stripes then that would just make my day.

I love the fight to survive and persistance in such a brutal game will make your reason to survive so much visceral.

My second wish is that weapons and combat will be implemented realistically and without much (if any) thought to balancing. It's so much more fun to implement strategy and tactics to force a situation to benefit your skills and equipment rather than just learning how the game mutilates physics to 'get the balance right' then exploiting that. There is a great reason why all of the weapons in the game so far might be used in real life and I don't think it's unreasonable to have that reflected in the game rather than having everything 'equally good' at everything just so people can use whatever weapon aesthetic they like.

I doubt the second wish will happen though because I don't know a single game developer who feels the same way I do about realism and emergent game play on the subject of 'combat balancing'.

Markus1985

Post by Markus1985 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:46 pm

I have these tiny wishes about walking and jumping.

I think it would be great if you would have the option to just walk, and not run all the time.
Just by pressing a button (perhaps caps lock) you would be in walking mode, were it's easier to avoid edges and perform moves that need more precission, or if you'd just like to take a walk around the beautiful game engine you'd have the option. :wink:

As for damage that could show up as well.
The player or npc could be covering their open wounds while walking, or rather trying to walk. If he'd be to hurt to move he'd have to walk, or just lie down, not knocked out, trying to drag himself out of harms way with his arms or healthy legs, or perhaps begging for mercy. Not sure how pg friendly that would be but anyway. :)

The last wish for now will probably be implemented shortly or in the near future. I would love to see the npc's being able to perform jumps. As it is now they can't reach you if you are on a pillar or plattform to high up for them to run or walk to you. So jumping and possibly also some basic wallrunning would be a great addition to the Ai. :D

NoSkillz

Post by NoSkillz » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:52 pm

Its honestly too much to ask for this to be implemented, but my greatest wish would be a more comprehensive fighting system (its already incredible).
Right now you're limited to I think about 2 different punches, 3 different kicks (4 including the ground kick?), a grab that only works after sneaking, and a few counter attacks/throws. These are implemented to work incredibly smoothly together, but I feel like it would be very cool to see even more combos that you can string together, etc.
But again, I feel like I'm just complaining too much by saying this because the system is already terrific.
Oh btw, the double footed drop kick can 1 shot people if you do it right, and can be heavily abused against the bots.
Overall though, no real complaints. The game is incredible and I'm eager to see the continued development. :D

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:01 pm

I'd love a grappling system for ancient Greek style wrestling. With lots of broken bones and throats being ripped out with dog teeth. It'd be win.
And if you don't do it David! I'll just put it into Dominance! And then you'll be all "Aw, man! Why didn't I do that?" and I'll be all "Mwahaha".
Or something like that :lol:

Gogg.B1

Post by Gogg.B1 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:01 pm

after a few weeks playing this game there's one thing that really sicks out to me that id like to have in game even if it ends up just being a mod, but i want to be able to punch and kick even when there's no enemy to hit. to be able to swing swords at trees and and walls would be fun and i think it'd add a nice feel to the game that shows off the OGs responsiveness and also to let players practice a few moves. some fighters say the hardest thing to do in a fight is to swing and miss, so you practice missing to get better.
i think this would add a lot of feel to the game, and also everything would make things more intuitive for people that are new to the game

lolo1108

Post by lolo1108 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:19 pm

For me it would be:
-the capacity to swing on a bar fix on a wall
-more kick ; punch ; mid air catches ; mid air kick/punch ; catches :D differents fighting styles
-dismemberments :P
-to slide on the ground ; making cartwheels
-the way to throw the spear
-maybe a bow ?
just these :mrgreen:

NoSkillz

Post by NoSkillz » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:56 pm

For those that don't know about this: I was browsing Wolfire Games' youtube channel when I came across this rap that gives some details about the plans for each race of characters.
It might help clear up people's confusion about which characters do what and our wishes for different fighting styles.

http://youtu.be/fYyWgqdHrbI

Summary:
Rabbits: Fight using lots of jumps and kicks. Personality is laid back.
Rats: Fight using trickery and stealth.
Dogs: Fight with weapons. Personality is righteous and mighty.
Cats: Not much about fighting style in the rap, but they clearly have the sweetest clothing.
Wolves: The big baddies. Fight unarmed but are still very tough.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:00 am

Wow, thanks! I had forgotten all about that.

myjr29

Post by myjr29 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:50 pm

i think they should make it an option to jump to your feet when on the ground... it would be sick. and maybe.. just maybe look into dismemberment, don't make it common, but just possible.

Drezlir

Post by Drezlir » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:28 am

Yeah, so, some o' dese here suggestions/wishes might already be in the game, or are gunna be implemented in future versions/beta/whatever, so forgive me if I list something like that.

I want:

A decent amount of races (possibly more than mammals?) such as:
Rats, cats, dogs, bears, birds, foxes, stuff like dat

Lotta different weapons, and 'cultural' differences between the weapons, like
Hafted weapons (maces, warhammers, spears, glaives, mauls, axes, etc.)
Basic blade weapons (swords, knives, cleavers, etc.)
Stick thangs (quarterstaves, nunchaku, sansetsukon, tonfa, etc.)
Chain/string weapons (flails, ball-and-chains, meteor hammers, battle-bolas)
'Fist weapons' (knuckles, gauntlet-blade things, claws, etc.)
Also ranged weapons (Bows, javelins, chakram/shuriken, blowguns, rocks)

Different combat styles, hopefully based on race (like, having one race able to choose
from a few 'similar' fighting styles, and another race being able to choose from a few others. Rabbits would be more geared towards kick-based fighting styles, rats would probably have to rely
on speedy, full-body attacks and things like joint locks, or whatever)

Regarding combat itself, there should be strafe options, grab-cancel options, more grabs,
more attacks in general, wall/environment-based attacks/grabs, counters/reversals, counter/reversal cancels, wake-up attacks/grabs, grabs directed at downed enemies, air grabs
(for those who are on the ground, and those whom you are intercepting in mid-air), dodge/evasion
techniques (that knife-dodge input sounds pretty good to me, just make it for universal combat),
directional-input attacks (sorta like in Lugaru, just with more attacks for each input. The
'side-input' attacks should be the same attack, just 'mirrored'), moves performed by simultaneously
pressing spacebar+direction+attack (or just space-bar+attack) for 'uppercut' kinda moves, animal
running (including them takedowns), attacks that can only be activated out of a roll, attacks that
can only be activated out of an aerial roll thingy, choke/weapon hostage escape attempts,
wall-run attacks/grabs (to be used when you're wall-running after someone who is wall-running
away from you), and stuff

Other stuff:

Poison
Armor (leather/hide, metal, and cloth stuff, also shields)
Stealth costumes! (as in, fake bushes, fake rocks, etc.)
Custom character creation (race, body proportions, clothes, colors, etc.)
Online/LAN multiplayer
A 'limp' action button thing (sorta like 'N' in debug Lugaru)
Traps
Water?
idk

Like I said, if I mentioned anything already in effect, pay it no mind, cuz I forget :x

first post