Black Shades Modding

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Dequire

Black Shades Modding

Post by Dequire » Tue May 08, 2012 12:34 am

So, I recently downloaded the Black Shades game. I got the hang of it, went through the game (Only totally beat it once. Knife and sniper levels are a BITCH), but felt it could use a few things changed in my opinion.

Alright then. I've spoken to David and he say's that it's perfectly fine to edit the game, as long as credit is given and it is given for non-profit. Agreeing to this, I have full permission.

As of now, I have several ideas that are going around my head. Some are easy and will be done moderately soon, depending on scripting, and some are a little more.. iffy.

Player/Gun Model updates: Updating and changing the player and gun models to be a bit more up to date/changed up.

New Textures: Making things just a bit more interesting via new textures for the models.

Non-clusterfuck "story": Editing the campaign, as it is, to be more user friendly and be less clusterfucked. AKA, choosable levels, things that make sense, and possible sandbox system.

New paths/buildings: Creating alleyways between buildings, the insides of buildings, and generally making things more interesting then you're V.I.P taking the world's deadliest stroll down the street.

Progress/Current Project:
Currently, Korban is working on getting a import/export code working for Blender and the Black Shades coding system, which should be fucktons easier now that AAorris has pitched in a topic and the code.

If you have any ideas/suggestions/input, then I'd be happy to hear it. Any help would also be appreciated, though I don't particularly care to have a crap load of people working on such a small project.

Current credits:
Korban3 (Coding)
Dequire (Modeling)

Current Special Thanks:
AAorris (Advice/Help)
David (Creator of Black Shades, and being so cool about letting people mod the shit out of his stuff.)
Last edited by Dequire on Thu May 17, 2012 7:45 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Korban3

Re: Editing an old Wolfire game

Post by Korban3 » Tue May 08, 2012 5:31 pm

I'm not sure about the models or anything, but the game is open source, as far as I know. Hit the IRC and ask David about it. He made the game after all, and I doubt any of us, at least, would be opposed to a modding group starting up for Black Shades, if it was possible enough. In fact, that'd be awesome.

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Tue May 08, 2012 6:52 pm

Didn't david make that game in a day or something? I doubt he would care. Still, ask just to be polite.

It would be awesome though.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue May 08, 2012 6:59 pm

:O I thought he did it more like in a week.
Good gawd, he's smart.

EDIT: Shitting bricks ruins grammar. Proofreading fixes it.

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Tue May 08, 2012 7:01 pm

Not literally a day, just some crazy short amount of time for a pretty decent game.

Also, I preferred "EDIT: OUT TEH TYPOS!"

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Wed May 09, 2012 2:14 am

I preferred "EDIT: Shitting bricks ruins grammar. Proofreading fixes it" because it kind of tells a story.

Also yes, best to ask David personally about that sort of thing. He's usually online on the IRC, but doesn't always respond, probably due to being busy creating and destroying universes at a whim, or something ridiculously over the top like that.
Keep at it though.
A single PM to catch his attention will probably work better than spamming his name in the chat.

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Wed May 09, 2012 4:36 pm

That or an e-mail would work.

Dequire

Post by Dequire » Wed May 09, 2012 6:05 pm

I watch the topic closely for two days and nothing happens.

I look away for three hours and there's six replies. The hell?

Anyway, thanks guys. I'll be sure and give David a quick ring to see if he can give me the stuff required to edit the models. Like I said, I don't plan on doing a lot with the game, though if anyone wants to try and put in some coding help, I bet we could add a few things to increase the game size/re playability. Not that it isn't fun as it is, but.. it could always be more fun.

Edit: Update

Alright, so I talked to David and he said it was perfectly fine. As long as credit is given and it's not charged, I have permission. However, he couldn't give me the stuff required to edit the models.

For this he suggested that a programmer that's willing to help look at the sourcecode, and from there I could see how it works. Now, I'm a shit for shit programmer, so I've no clue how those two connect. If anyone who has a bit more experience is willing to help, I'd be quite happy.

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Wed May 09, 2012 6:45 pm

Awesome, but I can't help you, sorry.

Dequire wrote:I look away for three hours and there's six replies. The hell?
We are like sharks, when the first one attacks, the scent of blood attracts the others.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu May 10, 2012 12:08 am

urg...
I'm considering this... I guess I could learn how to write an export/import script for Blender.
Now, this entire forum's veteran user base has a good feel for my ability to finish mods and such. And it's bad. I don't think I've brought a personal game project or programming mod project to an even somewhat finished state in my entire time on this forum, if I recall correctly.
I'm also unfamiliar with how import/export works in Blender.
I guess if I could figure that out, I would jump on it. I don't have any true obligations that pin me to a certain work. I just sort of paint when I want to paint and compose when I want to and program when I want to, etc.

Well, I guess I'll check out the source code and see what David was up to for defining the 3D meshes. This will be good for me, as a programmer, anyways.
I VOW TO BE DEDICATED TO THIS EFFORT AND MAKE A COOL MOD TO BLACK SHADES WITH THIS ASPIRING NEW USER. WE WILL BEGIN THE FIRST BLACK SHADES MODDING COMMUNITY WITH OUR EPIC MOD TOOLS.

EDIT: forgotmynewfancycolorstylingwhatdoyouallthinkisitnice
Last edited by Korban3 on Thu May 10, 2012 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Thu May 10, 2012 12:17 am

kerban is gay lulz.

Dequire

Post by Dequire » Thu May 10, 2012 2:22 pm

adwuga wrote:kerban is gay lulz.
<Smacks the back of Adwuga's head.>

Anywhoo. Korban, I really appreciate your effort/apparent dedication to what is.. now, supposedly, considered the project. All I want is to test my modeling skills and bring a bit of new light to the game to give it a fresh start and an extra jump on things. Namely...

Updated models: Both guns and player models

New textures: Making things appear just a bit more unique

Un-clusterfuck-ified "campaign": Able to choose what kind of level you want to do. (Choosing weapons/enemies?)

Updated maps/paths: Alleyways, possibly inside buildings, across streets (To make it a bit more interesting then just walking down the damn street all day with a derp face)

Most of this is optional. Right now, just to test things out and see how everything works, I'm intent on updating the models. Namely, the player models. Triangle heads get boring.

I'ma make 'em square! (Or circle. Or tubular! Vote?!)

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Thu May 10, 2012 2:59 pm

The triangle-prism-shaped heads were so neat and original though!

underthedeep

Post by underthedeep » Thu May 10, 2012 9:53 pm

Dequire wrote: <Smacks the back of Adwuga's head.>

I like him already!

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Thu May 10, 2012 10:37 pm

You can already do custom levels fairly simply though. and I can foresee some problems with the new player models since there aren't individual player models but separate models for each part of the players body. my guess is that what you have planned will require quite a bit of programming since the city's completely randomly generated with a square grid of streets or whatever.