Hitting walls (Can't describe it, read on)

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
»StaffShock«

Hitting walls (Can't describe it, read on)

Post by »StaffShock« » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:36 pm

For lack of better description.:P

I think that Lugaru 2 should have something that many other games don't have: The ability to hurt yourself without doing something predefined. Like, in Lugaru, if you flip too late you can hit the ground and hurt yourself. I like that idea, but I don't like the fact that you can run into a wall and keep running, even though I know that this is a veeeeeeeery common thing that can be found in virtually all games. I think that if Turner runs into a wall, he should hurt himself and fall, and if he rolls or back-handsprings into one, he can also hurt himself. This would also mean that if you ran into an enemy, you might hurt him. (Don't know how that would work) Kind of like in real life, even though this would probably be very hard to do and would make the learning curve become incrudibly high. It would however make sense and fit in very well with the overall physics based animation which we can expect to see in Lugaru 2.

Eric
Support Ninja Master

Post by Eric » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:39 pm

I like the idea, and just like you can't think of a better title. The learning curve issue is a major one. I for one would never live to see an enemy if this were a console game (I absolutely suck and walking with joystick steering).

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:44 pm

Certainly an interesting suggestion. It seems it would be hard to implement the two characters colliding idea effectively to me. It seems like it would make you experience severely low framerates, but I am inexperienced in these matters. I don't claim to be an expert on the mechanics of game development, but that's just how I would imagine it would work. The idea seems like it would severely improve the immersion aspect of Lugaru II.
Last edited by Renegade_Turner on Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:02 pm

I like this idea. But I don't think that doing a handspring back into a wall should just equal crash and burn.
Doing a handspring back to push off the wall and then doing an extra powerful wall-kick from the energy made from pushing off the wall = pure, undiluted, hardcore awesome.

Maybe things like trees and rocks can be better used for combos? Like if there was an enemy and a rock, you could run towards the rock, jump at it, then use it to push off bunny-kick style at an enemy for an extra hard knockout.
Or you could hide in the top of a tree, wait until the enemy comes underneath you, then jump off the tree and on his head to snap his neck, or something to that extent.

»StaffShock«

Post by »StaffShock« » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:09 pm

I like the handspring thing, maybe it would be like: You'd push off with your legs after landing on your hands, and do a super heavy impact tackle.

Can't believe this got such fast feedback. Maybe I'm on to something!

@Ledood: That's a really great idea too. I guess what I was really going for was overall environmental interactment. Hiding in trees and stuff like that is a great idea.

Albab
This title is part one ...

Post by Albab » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:39 pm

Hey hey, remember madness interactive? The way the arms moved? That would be perfect. Even if you were just walking quickly, if your fist connected, it did damage. All over body=Good.

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:47 pm

That would be sweet if you KO'd or killed a bunny by punching them, and it did a Fight Night slow-motion blood spurting everywhere, spit flying, ripples going out from where they were punched, then they fell on the ground in a heap (in ragdoll of course) and it went back to regular.

Maybe the fighting system should be more like a 1 on 1 fistfight if you press a button, that way you can kill that one guy that's bugging you... or if you pressed a different button, you could do combos using the guy you're fighting and everyone else, like the Matrix: Path of Neo or something.

Vib Rib
Lugaru da Vinci

Post by Vib Rib » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:27 am

Agreed. The slow-mo on kills that comes up occasionally is cool -- maybe we can add a change of zoom and focus to it.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:37 am

Vib Rib wrote:Agreed. The slow-mo on kills that comes up occasionally is cool -- maybe we can add a change of zoom and focus to it.
Oh change of zoom? Burnout had made a pretty good zoom in system. Whenever you'd trash someone, the camera would zoom on him (in realtime) so you could watch him topple and fall apart, meanwhile you wouldn't hit or crash anything eventhough in twoplayer mode, you wouldn't be able to see what you were doing, bt it was nothing dangerouse. This really couldn't apply to Lugaru's fighting, but this was how Burnout had done it.

»StaffShock«

Post by »StaffShock« » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:29 pm

Some other things that I think should be added should be the ability to attack when you're not near an enemy, so you can practice combos. What would also be cool is like, if you were in a fist fight standing right in front of a guy, you'd do a kinda spin-flip kick where you spun around once with your foot in the air, and then spun around again and did a super spin kick that would send him flying, with all the slomo and spit flying and ripples that ledood talked about. It might be cheesy, but it'd be really cool.

There should also be some combos, like maybe if you did a punch and a spinkick, you'd do a super spinkick.

Also, there should be a different button for kick and for punch, to give the player more freedom. Most of this is stuff I'm getting from Oni, it's another great game.

Eric
Support Ninja Master

Post by Eric » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:49 pm

a seperate button for punch and kick is a great idea. That is one major downside of Lugaru, until you learn to control the game. I still occasionally do the wrong one.

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:56 pm

At the original message (this is becoming another additions to the fighting system thread!! >:/):

With the current body-mass-physics of Lugaru 2, this seems very possible. Wether David does it or not (or maybe he has already though of it? >_o) is entire up to him, I guess.

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:29 pm

There's no other place to dump random ideas anymore though! :P

I'll make a random idea dumping thread.

Skyrage

Post by Skyrage » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:58 am

Oni had a really good combat system - could take a hint or two from that game :p

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:14 am

I wasn't actually much of a fan of their combat system; the punch-punch-kick combo was the most powerful move in the game, so there was really no practical reason to do anything else. However, I do plan to use the right mouse button, now that most macs come with four mouse buttons and a scroll bar.