Overgrowth Multiplayer discussion

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Jacktheawesome

Re: Overgrowth Multiplayer discussion

Post by Jacktheawesome » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:01 pm

I have 3 more years :( And yes, we don't need another on-topic multiplayer discussion.

thenube

Post by thenube » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:32 pm

I don't think multiplayer HAS to be in the game but I think it would be appreciated. There doesn't have to be missions in it- it could just be a nice way for friends to come together and slaughter some bunnies and do some parkour.

If something like that would be in the game, I'd pay 50 bucks for it (assuming the singleplayer is kept ^-^)

thenube

Post by thenube » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:56 pm

I think that if there is going to be multiplayer, maybe overgrowth should follow in the footsteps of team fortress 2 (roughly, of course) by adding things like:

-Different classes with their own unique personalities so as to let players relate to one or more of them.
-Lots of weapons so that players' thoughts are as follows- "if I get that weapon, I would be able to pwn because I know how to use it" or maybe the players might just like the look of certain weapons (different styles of weapons)
-A trading system.
-Hats which can be found randomly or unlocked with achievements.
-A shop with cheap items for players to buy hats and weapons (will definitely bring in some extra cash :D) and because of this you can maybe drop the price of the game so that players who don't know what this game is about are encouraged to buy it.

You can also add different things unique to overgrowth so that it stands out:

-Maps with high objects to jump on and surprise others (maybe giant mushrooms?).
-Maybe mage classes which focuses on mana and finding spell books randomly, with achievements or with the shop (like tf2 with weapons and hats).
-Weapon upgrades or accessories.
-Character customization

Sorry for this long suggestion but I see the potential which arises from this game and it would be a shame for that to go to waste.

XJapan

Post by XJapan » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:35 pm

I dont know, i think if anything there should be a Co-op multiplayer mode, some sought of wave mode where you and some buddies defend a point in a fortress using various weapons/tactics.

A PvP mode would also be great, of course, they might have to add some sought of Stamina system so people don't just jump away all the time when things get too tough, eg, fighting would waste stamina, but only affects your ability to jump, etc.
Maybe a stealth option that makes you invisible for a limited amount of time for a certain class.

Having multiple classes could be a great idea, ninja knife thrower that has great stamina and throws knives at a faster rate, slower attacking but more powerful brawler, things like that.

Actually you could probably incorporate multi races into PvP/PvE multiplayer, rabbits could be a balanced race, cats could be quicker, wolves slower but more powerful, rats...could..have an ability like the TF2 spy? maybe achievements "You dirty rat"

Either way, it sounds like multiplayer modes would take a pretty complex process to make it viable, but i think if it got incorporated it would definitely be something to write home about.

Synapse

Post by Synapse » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:48 pm

I thought of an interesting concept for a slow-burning game mode a few days back, I didn't really think much of it till I mocked up a rough concept in the games editor and saw that it had quite a bit of potential:

Each team would have a mobile camp site that one of the players could set up anywhere they choose. Once they do this the players could organize themselves based on race, rabbits would go out and gather/hunt food to keep their team from starving. Dogs would stand guard at the camp in case the enemy attacks. Cats would go scout out the area or look for the enemy camp. Rats would infiltrate the enemy camp and try to take out as many enemy players as they could. Of course this is an ideal way players could organize themselves, I suppose they could all just go rushing into battle and ditch the whole survival thing but this could be countered by having no respawns Counter-strike style. I can see some intersesting strategies emerging from this concept, for example it makes your encampment's location a vital part of the game. If you put it on the edge of a canyon it's easy to defend but also easy to spot, if you put it in a forrest it's consealed for the most part but easy to sneak up on. This would also be a good way to break up the usual Team Deathmatch or CTF modes we find in most games.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:06 pm

If the location of the encampment has such a big effect, how would you make the game so that new players won't choose bad locations? Suggested sites would tell the enemies where to look. The teams would probably end up going to one of the few "optimal" places.

Synapse

Post by Synapse » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:02 pm

Endoperez wrote:If the location of the encampment has such a big effect, how would you make the game so that new players won't choose bad locations? Suggested sites would tell the enemies where to look. The teams would probably end up going to one of the few "optimal" places.
New players making mistakes isn't really a problem, almost all game modes have some assemblance of a learning curve no matter what game you're looking at.
As for the whole "Optimal Location" thing, one solution would be very, very large maps with a lot of optimal locations making it harder to find the enemy. That said I don't really think optimal locations would pop up too often. A balanced map wouldn't have any perfect spots, there'd be ups and downs to any spot you happen to pick.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:30 pm

Synapse wrote:New players making mistakes isn't really a problem, almost all game modes have some assemblance of a learning curve no matter what game you're looking at.
Good games are better at teaching the players though. This is a problem that makes the game mode worse than it could be.

Beef Pop

Post by Beef Pop » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:21 am

Endoperez wrote:
Synapse wrote:New players making mistakes isn't really a problem, almost all game modes have some assemblance of a learning curve no matter what game you're looking at.
Good games are better at teaching the players though. This is a problem that makes the game mode worse than it could be.
Still, this idea is a breath of fresh air amid a sea of monotonous fps-like multiplayer modes.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:38 am

Could be. I don't really play FPS games, so I wouldn't know.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:29 pm

I agree with Endo. Good games teach the player.
Die by the Sword was a game that didn't teach the player very well, relative to it's difficulty and it didn't sell well nor become very popular, despite how awesome it actually is.

wfsw32

Post by wfsw32 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:24 pm

I think multiplayer would be really fun in Overgrowth. Team Deathmatch, FFA Deathmatch, CTF, etc. I don't think it's necessary for this game to be good as I am confident this game will be great no matter what. I just think having multiplayer and co-op would add more variety to the game.

Synapse

Post by Synapse » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:41 pm

Tutorials are pretty easy to implement, you could go the old fassion way and just throw a wall of text at the player or you could have a Lugaru style training room. But for online game modes you don't really need a tutorial, just a discription of the rules and goals.

Hoodz1112

Post by Hoodz1112 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:29 pm

Do you know how the Arma 2, and the minecraft multiplayer works?

Free roaming, fresh and fun.

In games like that, you can traid, global chat, team up, survive, battle, betray, and deceive freely at any point in time. Or 8-16 player CTF, Elimination, Territories, deathmatch (deplete their spawns).
The lag could get in the way, but think about if the host was great, and the servers were good.

maybe make a profile on the site, customize your rabbit character and play. A button could toggle the Safety/Combat of your character, that way you don't accidentally punch your friend in the face, or have combat on, so you can quickly choke him out when he isn't looking. The combat music could be disabled, it would be too complex. The overall music could be turned off or put on a low level.
You could have an inventory, where you collect objects like a healing kit, some type of binoculars, maybe bandages to clean up bleeding, money for trading, and so on. Buttons could do animations like the bow animation, M could be playing dead. Your character's field of view could be decreased to a certain point, anything outside of the view would be blurred. I hope this can reach to the guys at wolfire.
This is my idea, hopefully you guys could make something similar. :D

Hoodz1112

Post by Hoodz1112 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:30 pm

thenube wrote:I think that if there is going to be multiplayer, maybe overgrowth should follow in the footsteps of team fortress 2 (roughly, of course) by adding things like:

-Different classes with their own unique personalities so as to let players relate to one or more of them.
-Lots of weapons so that players' thoughts are as follows- "if I get that weapon, I would be able to pwn because I know how to use it" or maybe the players might just like the look of certain weapons (different styles of weapons)
-A trading system.
-Hats which can be found randomly or unlocked with achievements.
-A shop with cheap items for players to buy hats and weapons (will definitely bring in some extra cash :D) and because of this you can maybe drop the price of the game so that players who don't know what this game is about are encouraged to buy it.

You can also add different things unique to overgrowth so that it stands out:

-Maps with high objects to jump on and surprise others (maybe giant mushrooms?).
-Maybe mage classes which focuses on mana and finding spell books randomly, with achievements or with the shop (like tf2 with weapons and hats).
-Weapon upgrades or accessories.
-Character customization

Sorry for this long suggestion but I see the potential which arises from this game and it would be a shame for that to go to waste.
No hats. It's copying