Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:49 pm

I'm using other games as examples for what Lugaru 2 could use to become better. So no, I won't.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:11 pm

What you said about Ghost Recon added nothing to random ideas for Lugaru 2. I found no reference to Lugaru in your last two posts. Please don't do this anymore.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:05 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:What you said about Ghost Recon added nothing to random ideas for Lugaru 2. I found no reference to Lugaru in your last two posts. Please don't do this anymore.
Why the heck not? I don't want to be deprived of important info because it contained some stuff about other games (LeDood could just change the title or description. This is ALL info for awesomeness though. These ideas are pretty awesome and or entertaining, random dumps too)
Third place in GRAW? That's some pretty tight skills in fps. You're talking about Ghost Recon 3 or Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter?

Oh I got one, you know how Ragdoll soft had that game, Ragdoll Masters? And you could move your character while he's in a ragdoll state? It would be cool if you could sort of move your character while he's limply flying through the air (if you did that, it wouldn't really be called limply, well, maybe a little). And with the movement system you should be able land some simple falls if you manage to make Turner land on his feet. Or at least not make a huge dent in the wall for landing on your back.
Make ragdoll flipping be really fun to do.

Oh check it out, a new game! Super Steal Ball
<goes to download it>

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:01 pm

@Ren
I was referencing that another game used physic-and-ragdoll death to great effect, which proved my idea of it being a good thing to add earlier in this thread. Yes, I referenced something. You were there when I talked about it... I clarified it for you.

Telltolin

Post by Telltolin » Tue May 02, 2006 5:58 am

Not sure if this has been suggested, but here goes.

Exploration mode, not being tied down by just go here do this story and challenge mode, being able to walk around the island and see the different places, the villages, eat, sleep, see it all before you. Can't you imagine it? Walking over rolling hills and across rivers and mountains, seeing all that could be offered. Having broken that old sword you got back at home, looking for a place to have it repaired. You walk up a grassy hill and view the valley before you, the sun that is just peeking over the horizon casting steep shadows against the buildings. Stomach grumbling, you head down the hill and to the buildings. The smell of the thistle and the flowering plants was all around you, but one thing stood out over all the others - the smell of cabbage. Wa—ah, I’m getting into a story here, but you get what I’m saying, right? :oops:

Also, fix the sword disarming and spin kicks. I don’t like trying to fight someone and being spin-kicked every single bloody time, or getting the sword ripped out of my hand whenever I try to slash someone.

Ninjas

Post by Ninjas » Tue May 02, 2006 10:04 am

Ha. Yes. Actually there is an "open endedness" thread where you can post your ideas. The good news is that the game will be a lot like you imagine I think. The bad news is that the smell portion probably wont work.

Interesting idea. On screen smell indicator? Picture in picture maybe, so you can "see" something further on with your nose? I don't know. Maybe that is too out there.
Last edited by Ninjas on Tue May 02, 2006 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Telltolin

fasdassf

Post by Telltolin » Tue May 02, 2006 10:41 am

No no no, no smell. I was just rambling about that, I don't want a smell indicator.

christ posting is difficult, won't let me post half the time

Ninjas

Post by Ninjas » Tue May 02, 2006 3:24 pm

How about when Turner smells something alarming, he sniffs at the air and his ears perk up, and when he smells something pleasing, he sniffs at the air and his ears relax. That would work, and not be too goofy. Maybe the rate at which he sniffs could be like a hot/cold game?

Telltolin

Post by Telltolin » Tue May 02, 2006 3:45 pm

That'd work. :)

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Tue May 02, 2006 5:33 pm

Smell-o-vision? Nah... how about... Ear-o-vision!

Maybe he could switch into a specific mode where the screen is black with a white outline of Turner, and if something or someone makes a noise (footstep, leaves rustling, fish jumping, sleeping guards snoring, etc), a sort of white ripple appears on the screen where it happened. and the basic shape of whatever made it lingers on the screen for a few seconds. This could be used in extremely dark places, to help find out where things are.

Zantalos
The Postman

Daredevil Turner?

Post by Zantalos » Tue May 02, 2006 8:27 pm

Kinda like in Daredevil?
Can you fight when you're in that state? That totally be like daredevil, Turner does have big ears...

Albab
This title is part one ...

Post by Albab » Tue May 02, 2006 10:32 pm

It should be an overlay that's always there, intstead of having to turn it on. It would just become more appearent in the dark, when you rely entirely on your ears.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Wed May 03, 2006 1:11 am

Kinda like an automatic eyes-to-ears toggle? That would be alot more convenient, but there should still be some kind of easy toggle, maybe by scrolling up on the middle mouse button continuously for like 3 seconds should give you this effect (scrolling somehow dialates your eyes, all the way to your ears?). There won't be any half seeing, half hearing mode. You could stick a cool effect when switching eyes to ears (maybe just I nice little reverse bloom).
The main reason is that when I'm in a dark tunnel, sometimes I still want to see it dark, same with night (specially if I want to see something in color, or I got a cool torch I'm trying out). During a new moon when it's really dark, I should be able to use ears, but I should also be able to look around too, with my own eyes (with my own camera angle at least).

Or it could be like radar, when you fight in enemy, or when Turner hears an enemy, his ears perk up. They'll point in the direction of the sound, however they can. If it's from the front, they'll twitch and then point forward, they'll lean and point towards things that are coming from the side, sounds from behind- they'll get real low and cave in for incoming sound to pass through, just like real ears (dog ears at least, mine don't do that yet...). I use this alot in those Vigilante games, you'll get like an auto aiming turret and you follow where it's pointing to, to reach whatever enemy it's aiming at. Cept ears would make more sense because he'd hear them.

I want to add more about that picture in a picture for smell. I'll stop for now though. :o
You have to find some use for that scroll wheel, maybe something different from zooming in (zooming would be cool, I need a mug-shot for Turner) and switching weapons.

FoxInABox

Smell that ^^,

Post by FoxInABox » Wed May 03, 2006 7:35 am

Oh, that's a realy great idea, the scroll wheel would be perfect for svitching from visual vision to visual + hearing (I agree that is shouldn't be any "half mode" for it).. it should return to visual after some seconds or if foes comes in visual range.

if visual gets somewhat or totaly useless (darkness, blinded by sand or something) then hearing will take more and more over, in my mind it's like everything else is dark but the place the noice came from will light bright and fade, that way it will be like you only see the footprints the foe make or every time he make a noice, waveing a weapon or hitting something.. if the noice is outside the screen (maybe because you are running away from a chasing foe) then the window border in the noice direction will mark that there is a noice there..

I like the idea with the smell vision too, maybe standing npc could be easier to spot on scent, and a walking one easier for hearing.. maybe a scroll down could acticate visual + smell.

pressing the scroll button could activate both (or maybe not)

If there is good wind then smell could work as a long range radar (for the opposite direction of the wind), if too much wind then smell would be useless.

Maybe stealt missons for quests, ways to hide own scent (water, mud, "perfume") and noise (shoes or walk slowly), diffrent foes could be easy/hard to spot in diffrendt ways depending on what animal it is..

I belive it should be harder to smell your own kind, easier to smell the preditor.

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Wed May 03, 2006 7:44 am

Different ways of using scrollwheel:

Slowly opening doors/windows/etc,
duck + scroll == super stealthy crawling mode,
climbind ladders, etc.

... Height of walking! Scroll down to raise up, scroll down to crouch down... smoothly. The farther down you go, the slower and stealthier you are.
Press to go back to original and comfortable height. It could be used alongside with normal crouching (classic shift-button crouching).