No Inverted Mouse Look ?!

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Nostalgic_Link

No Inverted Mouse Look ?!

Post by Nostalgic_Link » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:51 am

I'm not as aggravated that it was only $5 I lost as I could be, but more so that I can't actually enjoy the game... let alone bother trying for more than 20 seconds.

I've played inverted since I was a child, I'm not going to just change that many years of instinctive movement all of the sudden. I also was unaware that such a common technical feature was not within the game. If there wasn't support added for something so necessary, they should have let the public know.

While I'm griping away... changing keyboard settings doesn't update the help function. So even if I forgot a key that I set and tried to remember using the help system, the help system displays the default keys.

Ridiculous.

I'm so pissed off-annoyed.

David
Project Leader

Re: No Inverted Mouse Look ?!

Post by David » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:02 am

I understand that it's frustrating when a game is missing a common input feature like that, especially without warning. The problem is that I couldn't get that done in the time we had: I assumed that Unity would allow me to customize that startup configuration window to add simple widgets like checkboxes and sliders for "invert y", "change mouse sensitivity", and so on, but it turned out that it's not possible to customize that window. To add that option, I need to add a whole new in-game menu, and I'm planning to do that at some point, but didn't have time before our deadline. If you'd like to have a full refund, you can email [email protected] .

zzwerty

Post by zzwerty » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:21 am

David I assume this means you are going to polish some elements of the game a bit more?
Because there are some minor edits you could make that could take the game a long way, like maybe some sort of vague mini-map (maybe just like a radar which shows the locations of the tapes) or including the flashlight Aubrey made to find in some place.

FINbit

Post by FINbit » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:17 am

I play inverted too and was upset at first. Surprisingly I adapted pretty quickly. I think the fact that the gun is floating in space with no arms and not static at the bottom of the screen makes it feel more like a mouse pointer so easier for my brain to understand which way is up.

-FINbit

FINbit

Post by FINbit » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:27 pm

FYI

Seems invert-y has been added in RC5b. (Press escape in game).

Awesome!

-FINbit

purple_pixie

Post by purple_pixie » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:59 pm

Really? After I just went through all that effort to tell people how to hack it together (horribly) in their own local build from source?

I say that, I'm still delighted it's in the official version, it's an infinitely better solution than anyone listening to me about anything xD

maestropan

Post by maestropan » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:37 am

I just preordered a couple of days ago and can't figure out how to invert my mouse. No invert is a deal breaker. I've been searching the forums, but I just see a bunch of posts saying that it has now been implemented and to just hit escape in game. When I hit escape in game and go to the settings menu, there are no options for invert (or any mouse options at all).

Here's a screen cap of what I'm seeing: http://i.imgur.com/aXUgJ.jpg

I downloaded version a190.

Hopefully I'm being incredibly daft and missing something easy, because I was really looking forward to trying this game out. Thanks in advance for any help!

EDIT-- even though I downloaded a190, I'm not sure if I am actually running the latest build. In the update section, it says last checked 10-28-09.
Pic link: http://i.imgur.com/Japtt.jpg
Anyway, I can't get "check now" to work. And I can't get any settings options to take effect. There is no way to click "okay" to any changed settings, and if I just x out of the menu at the top left it doesn't seem to apply any changes.

I'll search the forum some more.

EDIT2-- I figured out how to invert the mouse! I just went into the overgrowth directory and loaded the config file and set invert y to true. Anyway, is my game even the latest build?

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:16 am

maestropan wrote:I just preordered a couple of days ago and can't figure out how to invert my mouse. No invert is a deal breaker. I've been searching the forums, but I just see a bunch of posts saying that it has now been implemented and to just hit escape in game. When I hit escape in game and go to the settings menu, there are no options for invert (or any mouse options at all).

Here's a screen cap of what I'm seeing: http://i.imgur.com/aXUgJ.jpg

I downloaded version a190.

Hopefully I'm being incredibly daft and missing something easy, because I was really looking forward to trying this game out. Thanks in advance for any help!

EDIT-- even though I downloaded a190, I'm not sure if I am actually running the latest build. In the update section, it says last checked 10-28-09.
Pic link: http://i.imgur.com/Japtt.jpg
Anyway, I can't get "check now" to work. And I can't get any settings options to take effect. There is no way to click "okay" to any changed settings, and if I just x out of the menu at the top left it doesn't seem to apply any changes.

I'll search the forum some more.

EDIT2-- I figured out how to invert the mouse! I just went into the overgrowth directory and loaded the config file and set invert y to true. Anyway, is my game even the latest build?
Unfortunately, you have replied to a thread about Receiver, and not about one for Overgrowth. There is an application that will help you out though, both for making sure you have the latest version, and giving you a user interface for the settings. (The one in game, that you took a screen shot of, has not been hooked up yet, it's just a place holder). I recommend you use SUMLauncher, and that will help you with all your problems. :)

(p.s. all conversations about Overgrowth should remain in the Secret Preorder Forum)

maestropan

Post by maestropan » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:32 pm

hey, thanks for your reply. I'll check out that link now.

I performed several searches for my answer int he "super secret board" and found this post. I thought it would limit the search. Sorry for bumping an incorrect thread!