Possible Additions for Next Receiver Build

The place to discuss all things Receiver.
FlyingShisno

Re: Possible Additions for Next Receiver Build

Post by FlyingShisno » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:30 am

zzwerty wrote:I just wonder, how would you disarm a turret with it constantly spinning?
I remember this one being brought up. While it's not facing you, run up and pull the wires that are near the center. It's not exactly spinning fast. Or tip it over. Or tape the camera. Or sit on it and spin around.

Or pick it up and push it out the window. Our bullets can make it tip a bit, so maybe they aren't that heavy. We could pick it up by the spinny part, so it won't face us. And the legs will still be spinning. :p

Pokieboy

Post by Pokieboy » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:28 am

Coincidence wrote:Hi, Daniel.

You wouldn't also happen to have the world's worst case of nychtophobia would you? Because that would be hilarious.

And would it freak you out if I told you that my name is Alexander?

My name isn't Alexander, but would it freak you out if it was?
Hahaha, I'm not entirely afraid of the dark, but I do have a a very vivid imagination and tendency to get startled easily.
Dinjoralo wrote:What if you could find Speedloaders for the Model 10 Revolver around the maps? You could load one with 6 bullets when you're alone, and use it to reload more quickly when you're in a tight spot.
Almost tempted to add this, despite how quickly you can mash Z though, would it really make a difference?
Aleph wrote:Additions I would like:
-Leaning
-Prone
-New weapon: FP-45 Liberator
-Silencers
-Gun-range mode.
-Better game performance.

I also think that the Wolfire team should try to turn Receiver into a much more ambitious game: larger maps, much more weapons, more enemies, more backstory, etc. This change would obviously be reflected on the price.
I do want leaning too, but what good would prone and silencers do if there are no enemies with ears and when you're on the ground it'd take longer to get up when they spot you?

And what do you mean by gun range mode? As in, a shooting range? And performance isn't something they can really change without optimizing a lot in the engine. :cry:
Coincidence wrote:I am now going to engage in brainstorming:
-More rooms.
-Taller rooms
-Swing-able Doors; on rare occasions, but could be used as a blockade for those damn tazerbots.
-Trapdoors in the floors and ceilings that the player use to go up or down a floor; or if they aren't paying attention to fall through to their death.
-Moveable decor. e.g. Can pick up and tip over a table to use as cover.
-The killdrones collapse when shot in joints.
-Dynamic flickering or moving environmental lights.
-Those cool looking killdrones with wheels. Perhaps after they see you they can drive to your location.
-A tactical light that can be attached to the gun barrel and switched on and off.
-Dynamic objects that the player can simply pick up and put in their inventory. Not necessarily useful, maybe just a coin, a picture, a die, a pin or maybe a figurine of the whaleman. Some kind of token that the player can take with them if they want.
-More kinds of decor.
-A different city backdrop.
Ahh so many things... I'd like everyone else's opinion on these too, not sure how many would be nice and which ones would change the game too much. :?

Pokieboy

Post by Pokieboy » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:29 am

FlyingShisno wrote:
zzwerty wrote:I just wonder, how would you disarm a turret with it constantly spinning?
I remember this one being brought up. While it's not facing you, run up and pull the wires that are near the center. It's not exactly spinning fast. Or tip it over. Or tape the camera. Or sit on it and spin around.

Or pick it up and push it out the window. Our bullets can make it tip a bit, so maybe they aren't that heavy. We could pick it up by the spinny part, so it won't face us. And the legs will still be spinning. :p
I cannot express how much reading this made me laugh! :D :lol:

Pokieboy

Post by Pokieboy » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:37 am

Sorry to triple post guys, it's just hard to cover everything that is said in one go, I am quite chuffed by all your responses though :D
user5124 wrote:How about the ability to run the game at framerates higher than 60?
While I don't have a 120 Hz screen, that would be nice too for those that do. I wonder how hard it is to remove a framerate limiter.
Aleph wrote:-New weapon: FP-45 Liberator
Can anyone inform me on what's interesting/dynamic about this gun? Never heard of it before... And what would you like the ingame functionality to be like? Sell it to me baby! :twisted:
zzwerty wrote:I like all your ideas except for the community one about the rifle.
I see, and what doesn't seem appealing about it? The clutter? The fact the game should only be handgun based?

Were you violated by a bolt action rifle? :cry:

Azarus029

Post by Azarus029 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:59 pm

I'm not sure about rifles in Receiver, but for now i'd like to see more handguns like a Makarov.
I don't know why, but I just really like the Makarov. Another cool addition would be to see a Desert Eagle, but make it a rare weapon. Well, depending on how powerful you make the gun. Maybe a Walther P99? I have alot of these in mind, but maybe they're too many suggestions. Either way if I had the choice i'd probably go with the Makarov. :mrgreen:

Shadow207B2

Post by Shadow207B2 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:12 pm

What about EMP Grenades/Special Ammo?
This will oneshot turrets and cameras, no matter of where it hits.
For the grenades, they are for clearing out areas with tons of turrets.

Aleph

Post by Aleph » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:22 pm

Pokieboy wrote:
Aleph wrote:-New weapon: FP-45 Liberator
Can anyone inform me on what's interesting/dynamic about this gun? Never heard of it before... And what would you like the ingame functionality to be like? Sell it to me baby! :twisted:
It was a gun designed in the US in WWII intended for mass-production: these guns would be air-dropped (along with 10 bullets) in a box to houses in (Allied) Europe, and so citizens would be able to defend themselves. The main objective was to use the gun to kill/incapacitate an enemy soldier and then take his gun.

The FP-45 has a very low durability because of the cheap materials it was built with, and only fires one round before reload.

Imagine a "Hard mode" in Receiver where you spawn with this gun and 10 bullets, and must try to win the game, or find another, better gun lying (laying?) around on the floor.

Pokieboy

Post by Pokieboy » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:52 am

Azarus029 wrote:I'm not sure about rifles in Receiver, but for now i'd like to see more handguns like a Makarov.
I don't know why, but I just really like the Makarov. Another cool addition would be to see a Desert Eagle, but make it a rare weapon. Well, depending on how powerful you make the gun. Maybe a Walther P99? I have alot of these in mind, but maybe they're too many suggestions. Either way if I had the choice i'd probably go with the Makarov. :mrgreen:
Haha, you people need to justify why you're against the rifles, I am curious :D And as cool as it would be to have so many different handguns, the range might start to seem unnecessary? The reason they implemented the 2 new guns is because they have dynamic fire modes or unique reloads. Adding more semi auto pistols, would only be for a 'personal preference'. Maybe something to be implemented near the end of the game's production? I'd rather new content then 'similar' content personally :wink:
Shadow207B2 wrote:What about EMP Grenades/Special Ammo?
Ooohh... This does have potential, the grenades might be taking it too far? But then again when you have 4 or 5 turrets in a cluster this would be a perfect situation. If you can justify/explain the mechanics behind the bullets, I will definitely add this concept :D :
  • - How will you choose what ammo type you use?
    - How common will the ammo be?
    - Does it only work on certain guns?
    - Can it be combined in the same mag as regular bullets?
Aleph wrote:The FP-45 has a very low durability because of the cheap materials it was built with, and only fires one round before reload.

Imagine a "Hard mode" in Receiver where you spawn with this gun and 10 bullets, and must try to win the game, or find another, better gun lying (laying?) around on the floor.
Mother of God that'd be freakin' hard. Just watching how unfriendly that thing is to use is scary, miss your shot and you're screwed against a drone. Could you also give me a run down of how you'd like the mechanics to work? Would you only be able to carry a max of 10 bullets (with 1 extra in the chamber)? Would it have a process similar to:
  • - Pull back firing pin
    - Open barrel chamber
    - (Situational) Poke current shell/casing out with wooden rod
    - Open bottom/storage
    - Remove 1 round
    - Close bottom (same button)
    - Place round in chamber
    - (Optional) Poke bullet into place with wooden rod
    - Close barrel chamber
    - Apply firing pin
    - Bang? :lol:
Because holy shit you'd need to be quick to fight effectively... :shock:

Shadow207B2

Post by Shadow207B2 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:59 am

Pokieboy wrote:
Shadow207B2 wrote:What about EMP Grenades/Special Ammo?
Ooohh... This does have potential, the grenades might be taking it too far? But then again when you have 4 or 5 turrets in a cluster this would be a perfect situation. If you can justify/explain the mechanics behind the bullets, I will definitely add this concept :D :
  • - How will you choose what ammo type you use?
    - How common will the ammo be?
    - Does it only work on certain guns?
    - Can it be combined in the same mag as regular bullets?
I think that the Revolver would be incompatible, and you would need special magazines for loading them, first you must find a magazine, or spawn with one, and find the EMP Bullets *Rare*
If you are lucky you could start off with a couple of EMP Bullets...

Too choose the ammo type, you need to select the mag and put away your gun, and when you start to load the mag it will only load EMP, because it is an EMP Magazine.

As for the 'nades, they would be extremely rare, probably only 1-3 per map.

Pokieboy

Post by Pokieboy » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:11 am

Shadow207B2 wrote:I think that the Revolver would be incompatible, and you would need special magazines for loading them, first you must find a magazine, or spawn with one, and find the EMP Bullets *Rare*

Too choose the ammo type, you need to select the mag and put away your gun, and when you start to load the mag it will only load EMP, because it is an EMP Magazine.

I think this idea deserves mention! :D That does seem like a fair system.

Also if I've added your idea incorrectly, or you want a detail changed, let me know and I'll fix it up! :wink:

Shadow207B2

Post by Shadow207B2 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:24 am

Pokieboy wrote:
Shadow207B2 wrote:I think that the Revolver would be incompatible, and you would need special magazines for loading them, first you must find a magazine, or spawn with one, and find the EMP Bullets *Rare*

I think this idea deserves mention! :D That does seem like a fair system.

Also if I've added your idea incorrectly, or you want a detail changed, let me know and I'll fix it up! :wink:
Sweet! Thanks for the mention.

Coincidence

Post by Coincidence » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:53 am

May I suggest a break-action double-barreled shotgun? With .22 Long Rifle ammunition?

Great thing about this model is it will be easy to reload in precarious situations. The shell casings would be launched out by the ejector automatically upon pressing "e" and then just double-tap "z" to reload, then "r" to close the action and you're ready to fire.

Perhaps with the tap of "v" we could switch between firing one barrel and firing both barrels. Firing both barrels has a higher chance of hitting and/or disabling a killdrone, though you have to reload every time you fire.

I know a shotgun would not be the best thing for ranged precision shooting, but it would drastically change how the player manages fighting the killdrones. Instead of finding a place to hide and holding steady from a distance, having a shotgun would encourage the player to run from cover to cover to get as close as possible to the target.

It would certainly make fights with tazerbots more interesting with the spread of fire.

Coincidence

Post by Coincidence » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:02 am

The rifle sounds nice. Though I'm not certain exactly how it with differ from the handguns in a game.

I know how it would differ in real life, but in real life you actually have to operate the gun with your hands. In Receiver our actions are assigned to keys. So we are still essentially aiming with the same mouse, pressing the same keys to handle the gun and the magazines and firing with the click.

I suppose a rifle can be jammed right up on your nose for ironsight aiming. Since a rifle can't easily be fit into a side-holster, we could stick it under our arm with the "~" key when we want to put it away.

Perhaps it could impede our turning speed if we are aiming with it, since it is longer and heavier.

I'm not certain that it would help aiming that much, because the handguns are already pretty accurate, one of them already has a full-auto modification and they are all pretty easy to use after you've memorized the controls.

Except I can never tell if I have a bullet in my chamber when I press "r" and then a bullet comes flying out and I have to pick it up and stick it back in.

Pokieboy

Post by Pokieboy » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:48 am

Coincidence wrote:May I suggest a break-action double-barreled shotgun? With .22 Long Rifle ammunition?
Not entirely convinced, how would you want the damage to be calculated/managed? If a single pistol shot can drop a turret or drone, a shotgun almost seems like a disadvantage other than hoping that the spread of the buckshot gives you a forgiving kill.

And as for the rifle, I'd want it to be scoped and bolt action, so you get the ability to pick off drones when you're well out of their sight range, and you can get the kill shot a lot easier than hoping you're near the sweet spot with a handgun. The bolt action would keep it balanced since your time between shots would be low.

Coincidence

Post by Coincidence » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:03 am

The shotgun would alter the edges that the killdrones have on the player.

Currently, a handgun is better suited to use against the turrets and has a distinct disadvantage over the tazerbots. The turrets are stationary and have a predictable rotary pattern, making it easier to disable them using precision shooting. The tazerbots, on the other hand, fly about in a more unpredictable pattern making them harder to shoot with precise single shots, especially when they are chasing the player.

With a shotgun, the tazerbots would be easier to take down, since shooting their propellers is enough to disable them and adding a spread to fire is enough to give the player a greater chance of hitting such a large vulnerable point. Especially when the tazerbots rush at the player, the player now has a greater defense against them. However it would be a disadvantage to turrets, only because it can only do effective damage at close range, so the player has to run up to the turrets before shooting them.

So handguns are better for the turrets, shotguns are better for the tazerbots.

Even if the shotgun does turn out to be less useful than all of the handguns, it wouldn't really matter as long as it's fun to use. I suggested the shotgun because I think it would need a far different strategy than the handguns in order to be used effectively, adding some variety to the gunplay. I would never ask for a gun to be included simply because it gives the player a distinct advantage. Otherwise I would ask for a sniper rifle.